THR Damn glad that's over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Sorry for my absence for the last day or so. It has been quite a week. On Wednesday, I worked for about 7 hours, then went to PT, this time for 90 minutes, then had to go back to work for another couple of hours for our Winter Concert. God love those kids, but it sounded like they were squeezing a bag of cats. Oy! Yesterday we had an emergency staff meeting after school because there were rumors all over my district (and surrounding counties) of some anticipated violence on school campuses today. So, put in an 11 hour day yesterday, on top of starting the day with my OS appointment. Went home, showered, eat dinner and hit the hay!

Today, parents pulled their students out of school because of all the rumors, etc. We had almost 600 out of 2200 absent. Made for a quiet day...thankfully. A very busy, but uneventful day. I ate like a pig today with all the sweets and baked goods. I think I just grazed all day....Mooo!

So, back to the OS appointment. He took my crutch away from me! He gave me a cane and introduced him as "Steve." Told me that I could lean on Steve and I would know when to dump him! Guy has a sense of humor...who knew! Seriously though, when I asked him how long Steve and I had to date, he told me whenever I stopped LURCHING around, I could become a single woman again. Boy is walking with a cane WAY MORE WORK and WAY MORE TIRING than my old reliable crutch. He took x-rays and some leg measurements and told me that the prothesis had "settled" about 2 mm so he believed that I had about a 1/4" LLD with the operated leg being the shorter one. I hadn't noticed yet. I see him in two months for another round of x-rays. He extended my PT for an additional 4 weeks, so I will be in it for 6 more weeks. PT is a lot of work at this point, but I can see and feel a huge difference. He said that I can go back to the gym after the new year, but not to lift weights...no free weights for another 6 weeks. He said that all restrictions (90 degree, crossing the legs, etc.) can be disregarded in another 6 weeks. I got the green light for returning to Softball at the 16-20 week mark, as tolerated, and Crossfit at the 24 week mark, provided I don't lift a lot in the beginning and instead do lighter weights and more reps. I don't feel ready for either of those activites just yet.... but soon :)

To answer your question sissy46, the name was MasterBatters! Say it fast and then you will know why it was an adult league with lots of adult libations. We used to say we were a drinking team with a softball problem. It is a fast-pitch league. I used to pitch, but it is brutal on the shoulder, so I have played first base and short stop for the last 3-4 years.

So, that's my report! I promise to catch up with all your threads tomorrow. I see you all have been very busy Warriors!

Tammy
 
Hey, masterbatter, be careful not to overdo it. Seems like you have awfully long days for one still recovering from major surgery. Just saying.
The winter concert sounds delightful. Grayson at the vet this morning could have added some harmony.
 
YoungGma: here is a Medicare trick for donut hole situations. If you are at the end of the year, just ask for a 30 day supply instead of 90 days. Will get you through the end of the year and keep your costs down. And always check with the pharmacist to see if your particular drug comes in a larger dose and if it can be cut in half. I do that with Crestor (statin) and it saves so much. Not all drugs can be split so you need to check. That way you ask your MD to write for the larger dose. Pill splitters are less than $5.00. You probably know about this but just thought I would share just in case.
 
:rotfl: Master Batters I would have thought the name better for a male team, but maybe I'm just being sexist

It is a crime all these kooks coming out of the woodwork threatning schools, even here there was a bomb threat the other day, parents pulled out the kids in droves. A whack with a crutch is not what I would have in mind for those nuts perpetuating the fear.
It sounds like you are doing great and have one heck of an ambitious timeline. Hope you get some rest, you must be beat, don't know how you do it. The energy drain whips my butt:xmaskitty:
 
Tammy, glad to see your post. Sorry your day was so long yesterday. Man there are some real knuckleheads out there, huh?!? Isn't today your last day for 2 wks? Please tell me your actually going to relax (except for PT and dates with Steve, AKA new warrior tool, party trick, and drinking buddy). You needed all those sweets to keep you going. It's energizer bunny fuel!! So silly of me to say it, but take it easy trying to get final touches for Tuesday done. Any delegations to be doled out oh, Queen of I Can Do It All?

MasterBatters, ha! That's awesome. I played a little slow pitch a while back, pitcher, but kept getting groin pulls when running bases....We were better drinkers than players as well. Maybe won 1 or 2 games in a couple seasons. Pitiful, really. Don't think the sponsor (sports bar) was much impressed with our playing but did appreciate our patronage!

Well the news from your appointment is quite the mixed bag, I'd say. Hopefully you and Steve won't fight to much, but if you do, you can throw him across the room! Bit of a bummer about the restrictions hanging around longer. Hopefully by the time you get to cast them to the side your PT will have definitely made it easier to do without them. I'm finding the easiest so far is getting on and off a regular chair and a toilet without a raiser. I'll be working on my external rotation as my current project. Just to take 'er slow, that's for sure. As long as it may sound the reentry to your regular activities might need that extra time to not over extend, as much as I know you want to get back to your normal exercise routine. It will work itself out, warrior!
 
A OS with a sense of humor.. So now you are dating Steve....

Your list of future activities has really convinced me that I am the consummate lazy BS warrior.. I think I need to present myself with an award for that non achievement.. Oh well, back to my nano nap :sleep:
 
tammy tammy tammy,
you have been going like gangbusters!
cool beer league name! :cheers:

congrats on steve! have fun with him, but not too much fun... ;)
 
Damn!, Tammy, sounds like a fun ball team!!

Your time schedule makes me tired thinking about it, I'm one on the lazy end of the spectrum! But I do plan to get back to my version of "working out" after the first of the year if my OS gives me the OK. Certainly not up to your level though, that's for sure!

Between the psychos threatening schools and all the media hype on the "end of the world/Mayan calendar" thing, I do not envy parents and educators right now! I know my little cousin (actually a cousin's young son) is in 1st grade and has been scared to go to school because of "bad guys with guns" and scared to go to sleep because "the world might end" the last few days. I know I worry for my grandkids, that's for sure! They just moved from a city that has a lot of violence (Wichita, Ks) to a suburb about 45 minutes away from there, so hopefully not as risky.....but recent events show it can happen anywhere.
 
Hi all,

I am officially on Christmas vacation and won't return to work until January 7th. Read my PT progress note and follow up script from the OS, I am being treated in PT for a Trendelenburg gait pattern. Oh joy! More training! Not sure how I feel about that other than "the hits just keep coming." However, Steve and I are getting to know one another pretty well.

Daughter and I ventured out yesterday to the Outlet Mall. Not a good idea on the last Saturday shopping day before Christmas. I didn't even get out of the truck. It took us almost an hour to get there (twice as long as normal) and then we circled in the parking lot looking for a space for almost 30 minutes when I had finally had enough. We pulled over long enough to have a "modified Chinese fire drill." I then waited in the truck for her for another 45 minutes. Got to people watch and see how much Christmas spirit people had. NOT!

After the shopping trip, we went and had spa pedicures at our favorite place. A lovely ending to the day. Went home and my grandson asked me if I was up for our usual date night activity....popcorn, a movie followed up with some chocolate ice cream. So, we got in our jammies and threw in the latest BatMan dvd and spent a really nice evening together.

How is everyone's weekend shaping up? Are you all done with your Christmas shopping?

Tammy
 
I ventured out to Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon to get the last of what I needed for our Christmas dinner for the family. I lucked into a handicapped park ( I do have a sticker for this).

Thought that everything was going great, only to discover when I got inside that I had left my grocery list at home. This meant going up and down every aisle to give my brain clues about what to get. I very nearly forgot the cranberry sauce.

When I got home I found that I had not missed one thing on my list!!!! No one was more surprised than me.

Tammy, wishing you and yours a
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
 
Thankfully all of our shopping has been done for a few days; tomorrow (Christmas Eve!!) we'll stop at the grocery store to pick up a Home Depot card that I forgot, but that will be a quick in and out deal!

Bummer about the gait pattern, but I'm sure you and Steve will overcome it! :yes!: Together you can accomplish ANYTHING!! LOL The spa pedicure sounds lovely; I need to get one again soon myself.

It just dawned on me this morning that Christmas Eve is TOMORROW.....guess I'll spend today baking cakes. I'm taking a pistachio cake tomorrow night to hubby's family gathering, a babyfood cake (don't let the name fool you, it's YUMMY) for my Dad's house on Christmas, and a chocolate cake to donate to the community Christmas dinner for those who have nowhere to go or just don't have their plans ON Christmas. So, my house will smell wonderful.....but not if I don't get out of the recliner and get busy!!
 
Tammy, shame you guys couldn't find a decent parking spot anywhere so you could get a little more intimate with Steve. The cane's a little different defensive warrior tool, so a missed opportunity to whack some folks. Ah, well... You'd think there would be proportionately more hc spots since you're in the Sunshine state (i.e.Retirement South). Maybe next time!

Considering you were the accomplished counter walker prior to surgery I'm guessing the gait issue probably started way before surgery and your body's trying to fight Steve a little. I'm sure Poppet: can relate to your situation better than many of us.

Just a few grocery items to get today or tomorrow... Still haven't decided whether I'm going to drive to work on Wednesday or not.
 
I walked around big mall yesterday with just my cane. That place was full it has ten thousand parking places and everyone of them was filled. It is so hard to believe that soon we will be able to do all the things that others take for granted. Just to be able to go hiking with my girls with out pain is amazing i never thought it could happen. I got this done without insurance by the way. So happy for you i hope you Christmas is the best ever.
 
Steve and I are fighting over who gets to lead when we are together :) My gait seems to be really good with him by my side

sissy46, I thought of you at my last PT session. The PT brought out a 4 inch box and placed it on a rubber mat in front of a mirror. She had me stand beside it with my operated leg closest to the box. Then, it was side step up on to the box and back down. Must have done this about 40 times while staring at myself in the mirror. Kept thinking that this must have been how you looked to your neighbors going up and down your stairs sideways. Had a good chuckle....
 
The crutch/cane best use seems to be reminding me to walk sraight and heel to toe. Keep saying in my head, straighten up, heel - roll to toe.
 
Sounds like we are all learning to walk all over again! :cheers: And Vilebyrd, I bow :bow: to the one who conquered such a mall so soon after surgery! And I cannot imagine having this surgery without insurance....it just would not have been possible for us!
 
we had to postpone our last shopping yesterday due to the weather, wasn't a pleasant
day to be out driving so we got some wrapping done and headed out today. finished,
all but 1 quick stop i will need to make to walmart tomorrow (shhhhhhhh don't tell SO
cuz she doesn't know we are going yet).
the better news is my son in Maryland is going to be heading up to have Christmas with us!
i was bumming, since my other son has to work tomorrow (he is local) so he can't make it,
and younger son was in Maryland, and I thought he couldn't get time to come , but, i found
out today he has the time (sort of lost another job :sad: ) so i am helping him rent a car
to come up (his is in the shop). everybody at dinner tomorrow will be surprised to see him!
other than that, we prepared our dishes to take tomorrow, 2 casaroles, a new garlic/herb dinner
roll to try, and a chocolate cream pie YUM!
so we are in pretty good shape. after it's all over tuesday, and the kids all leave for wherever,
SO and I will go to a movie, then back to my Mom's for leftovers!
Have a Great Christmas Everybody!
Make sure Steve has a nice stocking down there Tammy. hehe
:bells:
 
Just got back from PT. Had an early morning appointment today. What a difference it makes going when you just roll out of bed vs. going in after working all day. Some of the exercises I normally struggle with were pretty simple. Guess the leg wasn't tired yet :) Bandit went to therapy with me today. The girls there used him for an older lady's hand exercises. She had to pet him and scratch him under the chin. Both were pretty happy with this alternative therapy strategy. Our appointments synced up this week, so he will more than likely accompany me again on Wednesday and Friday. He doesn't mind a bit. When he finished with the lady, I put him on the treadmill to see what he would do. The little creep loved it.

Put my truck in the shop this morning on the way to therapy. Evidently the spring has sprung on the lid to the gas tank. And the last time I took my grandson to the dog park with us, he tied the dog leash to the coat hook in the back seat and it snapped right off. So, me, Steve and my ice pack are waiting on the call to go pick it up.

It is a balmy 62 degrees right now. Brrrr...had to dig out the heavy fleece jacket. You know us Floridians are wimps when it comes to cold weather. One of my sons is stationed at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks, Alaska. He called yesterday and said it was -52 degrees. Holy C-O-L-D on a cracker! His girlfriend is flying up there today to spend the holidays with him. She is a local girl....but seriously....a 110 degree temperature difference. Poor girl. Young love.....

Made some chicken and barley soup yesterday for dinner and will probably heat up a bowl for lunch today. It is always better the second day.

The house is quiet today as everyone decided to sleep in a bit and rest up for our annual Christmas breakfast at Village Inn tomorrow morning.

Tammy
 
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
Girl, it's Christmas Eve---don't you have presents to wrap, a party to go to, or something besides posting to every member on the forum?
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
You amaze me! Wishing you and your family----



[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
[Bonesmart.org] Damn glad that's over!
 
Thanks BottomShallow.

I was just trying to make up for being MIA earlier this week. The gifts are wrapped and under the tree. No parties tonight as it is movie night at my house.

Thank you for the Christmas wishes. I wish you and yours the very best of the holiday season.

Tammy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom