THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay - did the long outside walk this morning on my cane with therapist, felt good. Will admit a tad sore tonight hahahaha no worries lots of ice and yes took pain pills! Plan to do the same walk tomorrow its not that long maybe 15 minutes roundtrip, feels like a marathon right now though! My energy levels have picked up also. We got a new photo of Miles today so yes hes in this posting plus my new profile picture. My little boy just makes me happy he such a sweet cheeky little thing!

Love to all....xxooxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DallasSarah post op update!
    photo.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 131
Oh Sarah, how adorable is Miles, that is such a good photo, thanks for posting it.

Well done on your 15 min walk, doesn't it feel good?

I know we pay a little for it with soreness later, but our ice, elevation and rest routine kicks in to soothe and heal.

So pleased your energy levels are improving and just think there is only one way for them to go, up, up and up. :)

When do you have to return to work Sarah?

I was talking to a lady 12 weeks post this morning and she said she noticed a significant improvement around the eight week mark... So looking forward to that.

Chat soon, big hugs xxx, Sandy
 
Hi Sandy,

Thank you!!

I'm penciled in to go back to work January 3rd keep in mind I work from home so my routine will be much easier than commuting to an office for sure! I would have been Off for 5 weeks. My disability note does say 6-8 weeks at this point though I think I can do it, plus my boss is very good and I will talk to her about my sleepy moments and can we work around with flexibility time slots I don't anticipate a problem. Oh my goodness if I had Miles plus going to an office then no it would be super tough. I can work in my yoga pants no make up etc, makes it nice!

It is amazing how each day and week it gets easier with stamina, it's odd we are still really babies in our time frame with surgery and doing so much! Such a gift!,

xxooxx
 
Absolutely still babies in the scheme of all the healing that has to occur... I think we are all doing brilliantly..

Can I borrow Miles???

No just kidding :) :) he is absolutely gorgeous.. xx
 
Sarah, what a cutie!! Sounds like your walk went well. I am noticing I feel great early in the day and a lot more sore and achy at the end of the day. I have been wanting to do three sets of exercises but my end of the day ones are a little wimpy (can't face those leg lifts!!). Working from home does sound nice! I have been trying to think of ways to help from home for our business - I do most of our website , data base work, student communication etc so I am thinking I could hit this hard starting the new year. Won't be doing any teaching soon.
 
Hi Plinej,

I'm naughty I only do one set but do try to do them a couple of times a day, the walking part has been my biggest goal. Yes I get stiff by end of day. The main exercise I dislike are the scissor one out to the side laying down ahhhhh I can do them now but dislike! The one that has surprised me how quickly it was to get better is lifting my leg in and out of bed I have no issues on this one.

I've been good and haven't cheated by doing any work the last few weeks and don't plan on doing until my return date, yes being home makes a huge difference my routine will be a lot less stressful, I really couldn't imagine the whole shower, get dressed, commuting part at all I would probably have to use the extra weeks on my disability form. I might change my mind, I'm waiting till I see my OS Dec 29th and see what he thinks, I have a feeling he will want me to do some work though. No fun uh!

Without sounding like a lazy bum I've enjoyed resting and only worrying about me and my recovery!!

Happy Healing...

xxooxx
 
OZ girl says "ditto" to the pampering and looking after ourselves right now..

The hustle and bustle world will soon be with us.

Sounds like you both have good plans working from home. I am going to only do three days full time for the first four weeks and that starts at week eight.. Not too concerned, I have a fabulous boss.

Lol to you both xx
 
Sounds like you're doing great Sarah. I'm impressed you're walking with a cane outside. I haven't progressed to the cane yet but am itching to do so. And Miles!!! What a cutie pah tootie! :doggieshmooze:

xoxo
Buffi
 
Sounds like you are making great progress Sarah, well done:o)

As far as going back to work is concerned you might find other ways to spend your time as your mobility improves even more......I found there was a time where I felt all healed, no pain, good mobility etc, well enough to go swimming and visiting friends, coffee shops and normal shops.....in fact I got too busy to go back to work!

I was very lucky that I was on full pay from work for the whole of my time off. I'm just saying, if you can afford to then take the 8 weeks and use the time to celebrate being pain free.

Miles looks a cutie BTW.
 
Sarah, please don't push returning to work. You still have lots of healing to do and the energy levels do take time to build.

Love your buddy Miles!
 
Yes Jaycey, Miles has won all our hearts :)

I have offered to become his virtual Mum with Sarah :):)
 
Sandy I'm laughing...yes you can be Miles virtual mummy!

Lisa and Jaycey I'm definitely weighing out the returning to work options. A large part of me knows you are all right. If I was going into an office for sure I would take more time because I'm not ready for the daily ritual. I don't get full pay, I can survive financially....then a part of me thinks returning will get me back into a good swing of a routine and push me a little but not so hard! I think next week I'll feel more confident ith a decision.

This morning I have reached out to a neighbor who does dog walking as a side gig, I think they are around over the holidays and they had offered help before the surgery, I'm going to see if I can tag along with her the next few days as she walks her dogs and then also have her as a back up and pay her for help with Miles maybe do the early morning and late night walk for me this way he can come home day after Christmas day. I'm going to sound so silly and wussy having him around lifts my spirits and he keeps me busy oyyyyy never would have guessed I would say that cheesy cheesy uh!! Keep ya fingers crossed this plan falls into place.

Where did this year go, seriously it's almost finished!

Sending good wishes to all!

PS - Buffi I'm slow on cane and even though I'm ok it's still scary, I'm definitely not out there sprinting around all you can do is keep trying!
 
Hi Sarah

Excellent idea with the dog walkers for Miles, that will take some pressure off you that is for sure.

Even though I can walk solo, mainly around the house, I still keep the stick (one sometimes) with me when outside. It is a reassuring thing. I know I can do without them, but why rush the healing.

I think of WelshJanes OS protocol and I think that makes a lot of sense to me.. The bone has to have time to harden around the prosthetic, so I have researched this approach and have backed off a little on the constant exercise routines and mixed it up with more R & R.. Seems to be working. When I stand now and start to walk it all seems stronger.

I keep the mantra in my head, it is a journey, not a race and we have these wonderful new hips for life. Lol, Sandy xx
 
Ha!

I'm laughing if there were awards for the R&R section I have a feeling I would win hands down, I'm serious I've been sooooo lazy it's funny. On a happy note it shows I did read the advice given on here and the most consistent message was rest, ice, rest, ice and rest! I did find myself going back to the time tables and in some areas I'm ahead but I'm taking note.

Our surgeries have been pretty easy in once sense, but it's still a pretty significant procedure getme of my soap box today! I'm just trying to justify why I'm sitting here watching smut television hahahahahaha but darn I LOVE it!

Byeeeee for now....

xxooxx
 
Smut tv - meaning shows like the Housewives of Beverly hills, top gear, cupcake wars lol reruns of top chef oyyyyyy Housewives of Atlanta hahahaha to much junk!,
 
Enjoy!

Plenty of time... lol, Sandy xx
 
Sarah, your TV rundown made me laugh!! I cannot believe the awful shows I have stooped to watching as I am sitting without much else to do!! My son and I have been watching basketball so that is some of my quality viewing!
 
Sarah & Plinej,
it must be the sea air, all I seem to have wanted to do the last four days is sleep, and I guess I can do that because I have no family commitments. But I suddenly get a " hit" of the guilts that I should be exercising....

Is this normal, wise hubby says YES! When asked what I thought my energy levels were, I said 40% after much thought! - is this normal?

Who cares, it is what it is, but then.... am I kidding myself?

What do you both think?
 
I have been surprised at how high my energy levels are but then I haven't put it to the test! I haven't left the house yet and being out in the country my walking has been limited to the house. I just feel lazy but I have been sleeping much better at night than I expected (although that is when I feel the most pain - sleeping on my back with my leg straight in the same position all night put a lot of stretch and strain on my leg so my thigh aches). So I really have no need for naps during the day but there is not much I can do to push my energy levels.
 
Hello Sandy and Plinej,

Plinej may I get your first name please :). If it is Plinej just shoot me sorry!!

Energy level, well I admitted to being the lazy princess. The first couple of weeks I hardlly napped it was once I came home alone, the 3rd week and part of this week I've been sleeping more. I've forgiven myself knowing that sleeping isn't a bad thing right now.

Sleeping on back hasn't been that bad, I find I use two pillows one to go under my operated leg primarily to stop the heel ache then one to keep my legs separated plus a large kingside one to go by my side it's like I'm cocooned in!! My annoying thing is I have to pee every 2-3 hours and I've even cut back on water in the evenings but its made no difference. I also had some leg pains during week 2 along with the itching I would have to get a cold face cloth, but it only lasted a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if over the next year there will be times of twangs, odd pains and aches from the post surgery things healing. I remember when I broke my femurs it was a year later i would get odd quirky twangs but only would last a few seconds, hurt a little but not long enough to be an issue!

Ohhhh stretching when I wake up is different right now, I'm really stretching my legs and have a fear it might hurt but it doesn't, even when I stand it feels good stretching out not in an exercise sense just raising my arms to the ceiling and going for a long stretch feels GOOD!!

My main gripe is hoping the stiffness will leave soon, it loosens up during day but first thing ewwwwwwww!!

That's all my quirkiness todate!

I wish I was breathing in the ocean air that sounds heavenly!!

Love to both....

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom