THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sarah, It's been a while since I've shouted out to you - between being back in the office and hosting holiday family dinners, and, dealing with on and off fatigue, has been tough to keep up here. Glad to read that you are doing so well and enjoying your break up with Arthur Ritis. :th_heehee: I can really relate to the kind of up and down you describe in your posts. In some ways you have so much energy than before, but the fatigue is still a force to contend with. Good luck with your ease back into work.
 
Morning everyone!

Thank you for the Loving support!

WooooHoooo I slept so much better last night. It's funny I've suffered as a bad sleeper for years, earlier this year when I got Miles (yes he sleeps on the bed) my sleeping got better and better. Ahhhhh last night was probably the best sleep since surgery. I'm tickled that he is being very calm around me, keep in mind I also stayed at my friends for the first 10 days where he was also staying so we haven't been apart so long and even then when I was on walker he was surer considerate around me. My biggest relief over at their house he had been waking them up around 4am, I was ready for this and thought to myself well if he does wake up that early we will just have to walk. My Boy woke me up at 7am with his traditional climbing onto my chest with gentle kisses!! We did go outside my first official walk by myself with him and we did fine, yes I will admit I was nervous.....we survived another step of confidence! He knows I'm much slower and is doing well with this too! It is scary doing these things alone it's all the "what if's" this morning walk I the main one then our new friend Jack will be here for rest of the walks later this morning. I will take him out later again today.

Sending everyone lots of good wishes!

xxooxx
 
Glad you have Miles back. I'm sure it feels more like home with him there :-)

I have 2 rather crazy and active Australian shepherds. When I had my hysterectomy, I worried that they would stomp on me while I was in bed or jump on my lap suddenly when I was in a chair--they do these kinds of things sometimes and they are so fast. To prevent this, or at least cushion the blow if they did do it, I always had a king sized bed pillow across my lap or on my lower abdomen. Worked great. They saw it as an obstacle and rarely ever stepped on me. I plan to do that again with the hip. I also have a cat that sleeps on my lap a lot. He either slept on the pillow, which cushioned his weight from my incision or he avoided it entirely. I love him dearly and like having him on my lap, but it was uncomfortable right after the hysterectomy.

Dorothy
 
Sarah, Glad to hear Miles is helping you sleep. It is amazing sometimes how pets can sense things. I have a very active cat that likes to jump on my lap and be constantly underfoot, but she seemed to sense that all was not well and has been very understanding! She can also sense I am feeling better, too as she is starting to test my limits again! I am so glad you found Jack, he sounds like a real God send!!
 
Yes Plinej to the Jack comment, you have a sense of me now I'm pretty cheery and very independent, brave etc but deep down these times terrify me, so yes yes yes to find someone like Jack is a gift! I watched him today from my window he was sitting in the field talking to Miles. Since I've got Miles he's not a people dog would rather hang with other dogs. It also takes him quite a while to warm up to people and even then he's not a overly affectionate which is not a bad thing. All is quirky ways have never bothered me because he loves me and that's all that matters. I do make a good effort though while walking him to socialize him. he will blossom with age funny little boy. I'm smiling like a Cheshire cat right now :). Can you tell I love the pet tales! Once I get back to normal I plan to go back to volunteering with therapy horses with disabled children, I had resigned to helping because it was not only painful, but walking around the inside arenas scare me my footing would be awful.

I justs wrote on your page Dorothy and was asking you about your dogs and look at the same time you have I written this.....funny timing!

I've had such a busy last 3 days and feel fabulous. It's interesting today is becoming my emotional day, I'm tired, happy, grateful and yes teary oyyyyyyyyyy!!!

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah and Miles :)

I am so thrilled that Miles is home with Mummy.. The unconditional love between a pet and us humans is a miracle in it's self. Specially trained dogs are often a part of the hospital and nursing home communities here in OZ, and there has been a great deal of research connected into the improved rate of healing when pets are involved...

I am so thrilled for you. You have achieved so many major milestones just this last week. And how considerate of Miles to let Mummy sleep a few hours longer :thumb:

How wonderful that you have also found Max, he sounds so thoughtful and protective, which makes sense given his previous life - what a wonderful connection you have found.

I am not surprised that you are having an emotional day - your pure joy is shining through honey :yes 4:

Lots of love, Sandy xx
 
Morning everyone...

Today was my last visit with my physical therapist, booooohoooo! She was an amazing support system and has helped me immensely. We did some basic stretches this way she could measure my ranges. We also took Miles for a walk and she reminded me this time last week I was a wreck just walking that short distant so to hear about my holiday walking adventures then to see me it's Miles one the leash, well it's just fabulous what a week does! She also showed me how to get in and out of my car, fingers crossed tomorrow I will get permission to drive. Only yucky news, I figured I would turn the car on its been sitting there for almost 5 weeks doing nothing and go figure the service light came on, I knew it was getting close but darn it's one of those big service ones, oh well LOL good reminder that going back to work top earn some commission is a good game plan about now hahahahaha!! Basically I got a great thumbs up on my PT she definitely would like to see me head out to some out patient therapy. Just to get me over to the next step (no pun intended) its hard to explain I am a wuss with anxiety and to have someone like her to help me over each step has been such a blessing.....amazing what fear does uh!! I still have a large fear of slipping or tripping I'm doing well one the cane but still a little unsure. Absolutely no pain that's been my consistent message LOL
The side of my leg above my knee has been the most sensitive spot, with the earlier bruising etc, right now it's pretty tight. That is the same area that has always been sensitive since breaking the femur and knee all those years back. Our bodies are interesting things!!

I feel better today with energy, yesterday was just a dud of a day!

My big appointment tomorrow with my surgeon since surgery, all goes well I can stop Coumadin and take these TED stockings off and shave my ape like leg hahahaha here's an interesting observation my operated side-leg is hairier than the other one?!?!?

Happy healing everyone!
 
Sarah, I am with you on saying good bye to the teds and Coumadin!!! I am really getting tired of them. So glad to hear that your PT is going so well and wish you luck on the getting to drive! Maybe the car just needs a good warm up!!
 
Hi Sarah!
I will catch up and read your Story! You are brave ... We all are brave!
Are you returning to work??
I am next week...I know my Attitude seems to have a lot to do with my Healing...
It's humbling, exciting, discouraging, scary...

Thank you for stopping by and encouraging me!
Cheers to You and your Healing!
Laura
 
Hi Sarah, you mentioned your fear of falling earlier. All part of the process. I remember it well and still have just a bit of it when I am in unfamiliar territory. Don't worry - as you get more confident on your feet this is disappear. You are still learning to walk in a different way. Natural that you are a bit timid for now. Use that cane or crutch to help you get more confident.

You are doing great!
 
Jaycee thank you!

Yay I did it again, my neighbor just took me and miles for a walk with her dog Chester. I know I keep on about my dog, I really got him during my tough time with my hip earlier this year to lift my spirits and get me out of the apartment to walk him etc. I always remember my surgeon shaking his head saying Sarah don't walk him for long just pee and poo trips your hip will get worse if you walk on it. Anyway all these months later here is am post surgey and it's my doggy friends where I live have become an amazing resource of friendships, kind acts. My friend Pam just took us for a great walk we were out for about an hour not a crazy fast walk just a nice leisurely walk around our park behind us, we currently have beautiful weather here, sunshine in 60's. I'm back home now on bed with ice pack Yay and yes took my pain pills and resting up right now.

xxooxx
 
I swear my iPad has its own brain....Jaycee is meant to be Jaycey!!
 
You can edit your posts, Sarah. Just hit the and don't forget to hit "Save" when you're done.
 
here's an interesting observation my operated side-leg is hairier than the other one?!?!?


This has been reported before and may be caused by the increased circulation in your operated leg due to the healing process. It's pretty strange when it occurs, though....isn't it!!!
 
Hi Miles, here is a big cuddle and smooch from your virtual Mummy :doggieshmooze:

And big hugs and lots of love to Sarah xxxx Sandy :friends:
 
Hi Sarah!

You have been doing fantastically and I hope that today you get the ok to burn those TED stockings and continue onward with your PT and activities. Are you going to ask for outpatient PT and try to use the Ortho Kinetics facility that you had mentioned in my thread? I did look at it online, and it's only in TX, but sounds great. When I first went back to the OS for my post surgical xray and check-in I decided to wait about a month before starting PT as I was still feeling a bit cautious and didn't want to start more exercising just yet. I just did the Phase II exercises that were given at the OS appointment until I felt more mentally and physically ready for outpatient.

Good to pay full time and attention when you are walking outdoors that will help you avoid the tripping/slipping that you are concerned about -- a normal worry. Wear comfortable and supportive shoes and take your time as you walk little Miles with your dog buddies. Sunny and 60s weather is great for walking, get some Vitamin D while you are out there, it's good for your bones!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Sarah! Can't wait for the report from your OS! Happy one month anniversary yesterday! Keep up the great work :thumb:!
 
Thank you so much for sharing your healing journey Sarah!

It's so refreshing to read about the progress and challenges of others! I don't feel so alone now.

:doggieshmooze:
 
Thanks Janet, Cardie, Shawnee and Sandy!

WoooHooo here's the updates from my first follow up visit with my PA typical my surgeon is in Hawaii for vacation.

All restrictions lifted. Stop coumadin, remove TED socks and burn! She removed that plastic cover thing over the scar and it's pretty amazing, today or tomorrow will take photo. The funny thing is how the plastic cover stayed on for so long?!? I was showering promise! Referred for 3x a week out patient therapy. I did walk without cane and they were happy I just need to strengthen my gate (spelling) ooooooo I can sleep on my side, no need for raised toilet, can drive too. The only thing she said to stay way from for is treadmill she wanted me to do therapy first to make sure I was stable footed naturally with walking. Basically her suggestion was the best therapy is walking, walking and walking and concentrating on the heel to toe roll and YES tucking bum in hahaha!

I also have a picture of the implant and will post later. It's looks perfect!

Wow I am exhausted by the time we drove down there, parked, waited and got Home about 3 hours total I'm wiped out. Gosh I'm such a fragile sheltered princess!!

The PA felt good about me working at home, my nurse endorsed taking a couple of extra weeks for therapy and naps. I just left my boss a message and will chat with her. I do feel ready for work next week, just as long a there is a window of flexibility etc.

So far so good!

Thank you for all the warm wishes!

xxooxx
 
Oh, gosh Sarah- what a great report:thumb: You make me very excited for those days shortly as I am about 2wks behind you!!! I don't think you could ask for better!!!

Judy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom