Guest viewing is limited

THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sarah:

It does sound like you are doing well. Keep it up and you will be ready for those long days on carpeted concrete.

As I have suggested to others, just keep moving. As long as you are not in a lot of pain, do something. Every little bit helps.

Keep in touch.
 
Sarah - it really sounds like you are doing well. I know you're thrilled to be in your home and bed again, I know my bed felt like heaven that first night home. I'm so proud of the strides you're making in your recovery! Keep it up!!

Buffi
 
Question time!

I've been home since Saturday and pretty much feel great. Anyhooo starting last night I got really tired, my legs were a little clutzy when walking on cane, so I went to bed slept ok but still getting up every 2 hrs to pee grrrrr! This morning had therapy at 7.45am and was telling my lady how tired I was, she did say my lood pressure was lower than normal. We had a great dlittle work out and my range of motion has improved every time we also walked my corridor twice about 400 ft then she recommended to rest up for the day. Wow I slept. Fom 9-1pm then up for about an hour took another hour nap and pretty much have been doing that all day I just cannot keep my eyes open, even now after some supper my eyes are shutting again. I don't feel sick, just sleepy sleepy I was wondering if it was the hydrocodone because I had switched back to this pain pill instead of the Percosets. I know I've read many posts about people getting sleepy at different times, so I'm guessing this is normal and hoping that me sleeping is ok......feeling a little lazy and guilty!

Love to all....

Sarah
 
The hydrocodone has that affect on me. But it is kind of hit and miss. You are working hard at PT, your tissues are rebuilding, plus you are taking hydrocodone - seems natural that your body wants some sleep time to regenerate. Take care and keep healing.
 
Andy is right - your body is in healing mode. Sleep is very much needed. Don't fight it - nap, nap, nap. There is plenty of time later for activity.

Enjoy! :sleep:
 
Hi Sarah,
I had my THR 17 days before you had yours and I still have attacks of the "justletmesleep" bug.
Don't forget the General Anaesthetic and all those other chemicals are still washing around in your cells and it will take time to get them out. I think that peeing very frequently (I do too) is also your body's way of getting them out.

Put this together with the extremely difficult and painful job of mobilising is there any wonder you feel shattered?

Just go with the flow and listen to your body....

Love

Charlie
 
Hi Sarah, between the pain meds, the anesthetic, and the fact that your body has kicked into high gear to heal itself, sleep/rest is the best medicine. Your body is talking to you. :-)
 
Thank you for all the replies!

Today was the opposite to yesterday! Had another good PT session, then pretty much been awake all day feeling 100x better....funny!

I'm still working on my walk, with the walker my posture is good, when I switch to the cane I tend to lean over and hobble a little. PT says its because I have such weak muscles even before the surgery the last couple of years i had stopped physical activities and become very protective of my right hip, so it will take a little longer to rebuild the muscles. Atleast there is NO arthiritus pain!!

All the best....

Sarah
 
Sarah, Glad to hear you had a better day yesterday. I found that for the first couple of weeks at least it was up and down, particularly in terms of energy - as others have said, so much medication and so much healing going on. I know that in my posts I focused on the positive, but did alot of napping and zoning out at first and allowed myself to go with my own flow. Focus on doing the best with whatever you feel you can do on any particular day, eventually it will level off.
 
What does it matter if you have times of sleep and times being more 'up'? It's called recovery! And in case you haven't seen it before, take a look at the Energy Drain for THRs and remember that you are a mere two weeks out from surgery. In my young day, you wouldn't even have been allowed out of hospital yet! :snork:

[Bonesmart.org] DallasSarah post op update!

 
Thank you Josephine,

I read a couple of your time frame guides this week and felt better afterwards! Odd week for me lots of highs and lows both with emotions and physical...I feel I've accomplished lots, again really no pain which is my main thing, but then with sleeping lot and lack of confidence on cane I found it also very blaaaaaa!

My other deep thought is right now if I was in England I would probably have 8-12 weeks off and I'm taking 5 weeks, really 4 then our offices are closed for week over Christmas. When you think about it that's a huge time difference.

All in all I'm happy and doing so well!

Thank you for all your wisdom and kind words...plus humor!

xxooxx
 
Question, help please.

I will call my nurse Monday, however they close early on Friday. I was reading a post about tramadol Vs codeine. I was wondering this whole week I had gone back to the hydrocodone as my pain pill and it's been fine, I've been making sure I eat something when taking to make sure I don't get sicky. One thing though I bet it's the main reason I've slept a lot this week, which isn't a bad thing at all. My friend called me yesterday and commented when I was staying at their house they were worried I was not sleeping at all. My question is a drug like tramadol is it likely to have less of a drowsy feeling I don't feel ready to quit pain pills, I do think something lighter might be better for next week. Justs thinking out loud!! Any suggestions? Or are these pills different on everyone? Good news in evenings I take last pain pills around 10pm and go till the next morning maybe 9am without pills, thinking this is good!

Happy Friday everyone!
 
Hydrocodone will likely be much more sedating than Tramadol. I found, though, that Tramadol didn't do much for my pain.

I'm taking sporadic Percocet now and then when my pain is bad, while waiting for my surgery date. I've also taken Vicodin (hydrocodone), which is similar to Percocet (a narcotic), but Vicodin doesn't help my pain as Percocet does.

My favorite and most effective non-narcotic pain med is ibuprofen. Tylenol does almost nothing for me.

I'm sure that some meds work better for some people than others and you have to experiment to find the best one for you.

Sounds like you are doing well. I read on your response to my post about being unable to bring your dog home with you yet. I hope you can get him back home with you soon. I would miss my dogs terribly. In fact, I will not go to a rehab facility that will not allow my dogs to visit. I'll probably only be there a week or two ... but that's way too long to be separated from my dog babies!
 
I agree that the Tramadol might not be enough for you. But you could certainly give it a try. Just don't allow yourself to be in pain....that's NOT good!
 
Good morning Sarah from OZ, just wanted to drop by and chat with you :)

You are doing fine, just remember we all have different journeys and different circumstances and lives, even living in different countries and climates all play a part in our recoveries.

I found pre surgery that for a while there about a year ago, I was on Tramdol 50 - 100mg, Mobic 15 mg and what ever I could take to get rid of the pain. The bone on bone pain is just the worst. I don't like drugs, that is me! and the effect they produced on my body system was dramatic... with he loss of over 60% kidney function.. Thankfully my last kidney marker test eGFR in hospital showed that I had come back up to 75% kidney function. So for me, it was very important that I got off all my drugs as quickly as possible. I have been very lucky that I really have had no pain to speak of, and am managing on Paracetamol when I think I need it. I found all the drugs made me sleepy, gave me digestive problems, and generally made feel yuck...

But in explaining my personal situation, I Sooooo appreciate we are all different and what works for one doesn't work for another.

With regards to energy drain, Jo's chart was spot on for me. I was flat physically and emotionally for the first three weeks and then all of a sudden it all changed, it was like turning a corner for everything, energy levels, sleeping, mobility, body functions, everything... But a word of caution, because with this new found energy levels the temptation was there to overdo it and I knew a couple of times during one day I did that (as we all do, it's human nature) and received a real dose of reality check!

So LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, YOUR JOURNEY IS UNIQUE, THAT IS WHAT MAKES YOU AN INDIVIDUAL and a beautiful one at that :)

Do what feels right for you at the time!

That is why I listened to my body and knew in my personal circumstances, I needed to get off the strong drugs tuite sweet! to protect my kidney function.

Do the best you can gorgeous girl, you are well on your road to recovery, one day at a time, that is the best we can expect right now all of us in recovery. As I have mentioned, my wise, wise husband has put the timeframe of one year for complete recovery for me, so I am just working to that time frame.. Be patient lovely lady, you are progressing as should be expected right no, lots of love hugs and warm fuzzies speeding their way from OZ xxxxx
 
Hi Sarah,
I agree with previous responses that underscore how each individual responds somewhat differently to various pain meds and often there is a process of trying different ones to see which works best in terms of both optimal pain control and minimal unwanted effects (drowsiness, nausea, etc). That said, at the point that I was able to control pain with 1 325mg Percoset every 12 hours, I decided to try the switch to Tramodol because it is a less potent medication. 4 weeks out I find that I really need a Tramodol twice a day or the pain will creep up from around a 1 or 2 out of 10 to more like a 5 or 6. Anyway, I also find that my energy level is much better on the Tramodol. When I am tired I feel like it has to do with my level of exertion, not with being medicated. Good luck in figuring out what works for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom