THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, these "razor" tips were just things we tried before you...and it was summer! Of course you have to be really careful! Jo always says "go natural" and I tend to agree. It is only for a few weeks :DOH:.
 
Quite so, Janet. Surely you girls can wait a few weeks without shaving? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it!
 
Thanks Josephine,

You really confirmed my gut feeling about shaving. The whole Coumadin experience has been a complete education for me, down to the foods to stay away from and other medicines. Not worried about hair legs have no plans off getting naked anytime soon parading around in sexy knickers for anyone hahahahah hey soon though!!

Excellent day today. Physical therapy came over we did more exercises she also suggested I walk a little more, saying it would help with the stiffness nothing major just a walk around house to loosen up I also was a good girl and did 2nd excercises this afternoon Bahhhhhhhhhhh!! Nurse also came my Coumadin levels still at 1.5 so dr increase me to 10mg hopefully by Monday it will level out. I talked to her about sicky feeling and tired times, she said maybe a little anxiety plus body tired from surgery. She second the walking a little more sitting in chair for long periods a little ewwwwwww but said to go and nap too!

Hope everyone is well today, have a great night....

xxooxx
 
As for the Coumadin.....I have to tell you that your fears about having trouble shaving your legs are really unfounded. I was on Coumadin (Warfarin) for more than 3 years and my experience with knicks, cuts or outright wounds from the garden and scrapes was that bleeding was not an issue. Granted, it might take a minute or two more to stop bleeding in some cases than if you were not on the drug, but there really is not a danger that you will bleed excessively from normal cuts and scrapes.

I do have to admit, though, that when I first started on it, I was scared to death that I might bleed to death with a cut. The nurse that checked my INR explained that would never happen. In fact there are a number of coagulants in blood that work to stop bleeding. Coumadin only works on one of them. So it's not as if you have no clotting ability. I thought that was very interesting to know.
 
Jamie that is interesting, thank you for sharing!

Please can I get some candid advice on my pain Meds.


Since being home last Thursday night, I've been taking my 5/325 Percosets, and followed the instruction and take 2 every 4 hours like clockwork and we all know pain has not been a issue for me. I came home with 100 pills.

Last night my goal was to not wake myself up and take my 3am pills and see if I could sleep though, yes and I felt good! Then this morning I panicked a little because I have round 20 pills left and thought whatif I run out over the weekend. Called dr's office they would rewrite a Percosets prescription but I don't have anyone hand today to run down to their office and pickup, so we chatted and I opted for them to call into my local Walgreens a hydrocodone prescription apparently laws are strict with the Peres and easier on hydrocodone. I'm little worried because in hospital that one day the hydrocodones Madame nauseated. It I also know I came of the morphine and took those pills late that night with no food, my feeling was as what made me feel sick on them. I'm about to find out. My dr 's office did say if they made med into call back Monday and they will change up. But they also said for me to star thinking about only taking when needed. Sooooooooooo I know this is a long winded way about asking my question,sorry!

Do you think I've been over cautious and heavy handed with taking my current pain pills? I know with confidence my dr will cut me if he thinks I'm abusing just my internal self is asking the group now plus Jospehine.....

I really love and have enjoyed the NO pain part!
 
I think your surgeon is doing just what so many of them seem to do...cut you off perfectly good pain medication way too soon. If he won't prescribe the Percoset (he can, you know....there is no law against it), then you can give the hydrocodone a try. If it doesn't work or makes you ill, there are other choices. If he will not help you, contact your GP for assistance. They are usually a lot more understanding about the need for prescription pain meds following joint replacement surgery.

You are NOT going to become addicted. You are only a couple of weeks out from our surgery, for heaven's sake. You need proper pain relief!
 
Oppps thanks Jamie,

I think I asked the question a little over complicated. It's because friends make funny comments like why are you taking the pills when your not in pain, and my response is its a preventative mode right now. I think I was double questioning myself there, it's been so easy since the surgery I was wondering if I was being a drama queen on the topic and maybe didnt need the pain Meds.

He has called in 60 hydrocodone and they did say earlier today if I felt sick On them they would switch back to Percosets. I didn't realize they couldn't just refill a Percosets prescription each time they have to write out, where the other type they can call in a new script. If my heart was set on Percosets they would have done. Thank you for quick reply. I'm not an addictive personality just was double checking if I was being goofy!

Happy Friday everyone!
 
You're not goofy! It's always good to ask if you question something. Now I understand and it sounds as if your surgeon is one of the good guys. It is true that the law requires a new prescription each time for opiates. So....it sounds like you're in business.

Tell your friends you'll listen to their suggestions right after they go through their first joint replacement surgery....:th_heehee:. It's really difficult for people who haven't been through it to understand the need for heavy-duty pain meds.
 
Tell your friends you'll listen to their suggestions right after they go through their first joint replacement surgery....:th_heehee:. It's really difficult for people who haven't been through it to understand the need for heavy-duty pain meds.

LOVE IT!!!!! :yes 4:

So many well meaning people give bad advice ...

Dorothy
 
Good come back Jamie....you are right!

Not sure why I was questioning myself I've been so chirpy and fun during this time too...interesting our friends are at times!

Thanks for helping me muddle though that one xxooxx
 
I agree with Jamie 100%! DO NOT let anyone put you on a guilt trip! The reason you have done so well so far is because you have managed your pain so well! Keep up the good work. You will know when you don't need as much, and not setting the alarm and still feeling ok by morning is an indicator that you can cut out that dose.

If you start waking up in pain, go back to it, or to one pill at that time. Jeepers Sarah, you are only over 2 weeks post op! NOT a drug addict. You are doing just fine.
 
Home and in my own bed........Devine!

I had a super long day today, my friends packed up my things and moved me back into my own place it took a while, ohhhh it's great to be back in my bed! I'm tired tonight it took maybe a couple of hours to un pack and get everything put away they dropped me off first helped for a while then ran out to the supermarket for my weeks supply by the time they got back I had got everything done except for putting large suitcase away little things I needed help with. My puppy boy Miles is going to stay with them a little longer, my goal next week with my therapist is to star walking on the cane, I can walk around my apartment without walker but I can tell when I get tired my posture slacks big time!! I'm still gigglish that it's going to be 2 weeks this coming Monday since my surgery, I do have some quirky little spasms and aches the big difference now is it doesn't compare to the pain I had before the surgery so while Im hobbling a little tonight my joy is knowing this will get better and go away where as before it was like a dead end brick wall......oyyyyyyyyyyy!

I feel for anyone and everyone out there right now dealing with pre surgery pain it's horrible!!

Love to all....

xxooxx
 
Way to go Sarah! That surely takes a lot out of you! Now, rest up for the big PT day on Monday. Also, if anyone can get the Percocets for you on Monday, may be good to have for back up. Doing more can make you more stiff and sore in the beginning.

They will need to bring thier ID or the OS office will not release the Rx. Same with the pharmacy. Very strict rules and regulations with these narcotic meds. Just an FYI...
 
Hi Janet...

I did get the hydrocodone today and took some this evening and so far no sicky feeling, made sure I took pills with food tonight. I had taken same pills in hospital but it made me yucky sick but thinking back I had not eaten anything hopefully that was the issue. If I get sick tomorrow for sure yes will go back to dr for Percosets Monday and change out, hopefully no though.

Love my bed! I'm super relaxed tonight it's great.

Hope you have a good night.....

Sarah
 
Sarah, hope you are snuggled down nice and comfy in your own bed. Take care! You are doing really well!
 
Good morning Sarah,

Nice to know that you are at home and back to your own comfy bed. Try to remember to keep doing your ice packs now that you are getting up and around a bit more. As Janet said, sometimes there is some muscle soreness and aches that come about as your body begins to adjust to the changes the new hip makes in your skeletal structure once you begin being more mobil.

As you transition from the walker, I found that it was helpful to continue on the walker if I got up in the night -- it provides a bit more stability if you are tired or groggy on the way to the bathroom or kitchen.

I hope you have a relaxed & comfy day today and do continue to take it easy -- even though you are home and unsupervised... :wink1:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Happy Sunday Everyone!

I slept like a baby in my own bed last night, I found it hard to get up for my therapist lthis morning. Glad I did she really helped stretch me out, I was definitely sore from yesterday's move back into my place. Great news she helped me do a test run on my shower bench and it's fine, her name is Bonnie and she is excellent at showing me new things, we also did some cane work this morning it's very easy to walk around my place not using walker, however she quickly noted I was walking in bad posture especially because I was tired so mixing up the cane and walker is a good thing keeps my back straight plus stops me from hobbling. We also did a good walk in my corridor she measured it as 200 feet round trip. She suggested to take today nice and easy, ice, relax and not to over do anything. Then tomorrow back to regular excercises.

It's only 2 weeks post surgery (tomorrow) and I texted my girlfriend and said my soreness, stiffness today is similar to before the surgery after a long show,s what makes me soooooo HAPPY this time once I get over the stiffness and recover I should be GOOD to go....sorry to be repative it's jus amazing and exciting at the same time!! I never imagined it would be this easy, or then again maybe I'm thinking how bad it must have been not sure!!

One thing for sure this years New Years eve will be a time to reflect, give thanks and plan ahead for a brilliant 2012!!

Sending lots of good thoughts to Everyone!

Happy Hipster Sarah

xxooxx
 
Wow - you are really progressing Sarah! And sounds like you have a very supportive therapist. That makes all the difference. Someone who can help you get mobile and show you how to go it alone - a real gem.

So happy for you!
 
Thanks Jacey....

Cardie you are right about the walker and using in middle of night and YES I did my gut let's me know things and when in doubt I go back to the original plan. The walker is more stabilizing and remember even before the surgery I had said my goal was to create good habits in walking because my posture isn't the greatest before this all started.

Jacey you are right my therapist is a gem!! She's very aggressive but also conservative if that makes sense. Her strength is showing me examples so I can follow....good teacher! Right now her patient list is seniors with breathing problems it's the time of the year when pneumonia is rampant and people come home and need therapy with help to breathe, she has had lots of hip and knees but right now I'm her only hippie!! Just like her :)

I'm about to venture into my bench shower, but yes today is a rest day and relax.

Thanks for input appreciated enjoy your Sunday!!

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom