THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sarah!

Sounds like your are doing really well. I hear you about the cane. With my left hip I so desperately wanted to go without and when I went for my 6 week checkup I walked in without the cane. My surgeon was happy to see that, but did tell me I should probably use it for longer ventures, like shopping, since the muscles are still healing and didn't want to see me go backwards in recovery. I finally gave the cane up totally around week 8. We'll see how long I keep using the cane with the right hip.

I can't wait to hear how your new cushion works. I did go to the site and poke around, but haven't purchased one yet - wanted to get your opinion of it first :biggrin:

Try not to over do it this week!

Liz
 
:thumb: Way to go, Sarah!! I too am eagerly awaiting your report on the "tush cush" :th_heehee: I've tried every pillow, cushion, folded throw I own and still am have trouble finding a comfortable sitting position - I visited the site - but want to hear from you if the $ is worth it.

Hope your back to work goes well for you!!
 
Sarah:

Sounds like you are on a good plan. Just don't be afraid to make adjustments as necessary.

I was telling smja about the nice padded toilet seat my wife insisted upon several years ago. It makes a big difference - trust me!

Keep up the good healing and stay in touch.
 
Ooooohhhh! I need the 'tush cush' for work tomorrow when I start back... Looking forward to hearing about it Sarah...

Have a good week :) xx
 
Sarah, sounds like you have a killer of a week coming up. Please try and ease into things. You are taking on alot with work, walking, shopping. Just don't want you to over do things and set your recovery back. You are doing so well!
 
Hi Sarah, just dropping by to see how you are doing. Really well, I see! Your goals for this week seem very ambitious to me, so I hope you don't overdo it.

Yes, I know that feeling of being almost back to normal - isn't it great? As for me, those 4 weeks of so-called 'complete rest' set me back a bit as regards walking, but from now on I'm increasing my walks each day and I hope to be back doing our usual 2hr dog walks by the end of the week (with stick!)

Cheers, Jane (and don't forget to get up, walk about, stretch etc etc at regular intervals while you're working!)
 
Wow Sarah- you are doing so well. Miles seems to be helping as a great motivator so well done Miles too. My cat will come on walks believe it or not. Not quite in the same way as a dog- more in a he'll do a bit of following then jump up to the bushes and chase little animals, come back to check in now and again kind of way. But when we start back he does too. He is good company but we do get funny looks at times. One time we trundled down to the polling station to vote, boys on bikes, cat tagging along as he does. However on that occasion instead of waiting patiently outside in he came and took himself into a boothe. I wonder who he would vote for. Anyway keep up the good work and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Gizmo:cat-kittyandsmiley::doggieshmooze:
 
Happy New Year Gizmo!

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

Jury out on the tush-cushion I did use today, it was comfortable to sit on let's give it a few days. I'm sore today, however this morning was hectic with taking my car in to the shop, plus ran some errands, wore new tennis shoes plus it's cold, wet and dreary here. By 4pm felt achy and took my first pain pills for the day! Not in pain though. This is my 3rd day walking Miles haven't walked this consistently so big accomplishment and it feels great. This afternoon I did finally lay down for a 30 minute cat nap, just felt cold brrrrrr. Feel good now!

Liz your right about the cane, I feel I'm getting to a point where maybe I could go without maybe next week. I'm loving how each week brings big improvements and Cardie yes that box was much smaller before the surgery I'm really excited about feeling good about running my errands refreshing! Another quirky thing I feel like I'm setting a lot more goals and sensing I could make some new changes in 2012 to be continued. All good though, I feel more confident too, I've said this before the pain before the surgery was really life changing and had effected me in so many ways WOW sad!

I still have a way to go before I can say I'm completely recovered, for now though all is brilliant.

Wishing everyone lots of good thoughts!!

Sarah

xxooxx
 
Sarah, glad to hear things are going well - I usually feel achy the end of the day also. I think I would probably trade my cold for yours although it is supposed to reach 40 tomorrow - a regular heat wave!!! I went to church and out to breakfast yesterday without my cane(trying to show off!!) and really paid a price for it!! My husband said I really looked whipped at breakfast! Setting goals are a good thing as we say in martial arts as long as they are SMART!(Specific, Motivating, Achievable, Realistic, Timely)
 
Hi Judy,

Ohhhh I like "SMART"

I'm going to share my scar in my thread. I posted this morning on the wall thread.

The entire scar is about 8 inches, it's good they could cut into the same scar and keep it so tidy looking. First cut was back in 1991 they installed a large metal bar to support my broken femur, then come of years later to remove. Them 6 weeks ago to plonk my new hip in place. They cut maybe 5-6 inches for hip. It's healed nicely, little sensitive to touch.

Ding dong have to use laptop to upload photo - ill be back ding dong!!
 
Scar :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] DallasSarah post op update!
    Hip Scar.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 150
Wow! Your scar looks great Sarah. It's completely motivating to me that you're having such a great time getting back to work and settling back into life. Have my OS appt tomorrow and will find out if I'm released back to work. I'm sure I will be and can only hope my experiences are like yours and everyone else's, very positive.

Take care and smooch Miles for me!
Buffi
 
Me again.....

Good day today, my walk was easier than yesterday.

Buffi I just read your response on goatrams thread about pain. I took a couple of pain pills this evening, I'm still sore after a day of work, walking etc. we all know that early after surgery pain has to be an issue!

I still don't think I would make an entire day in an office, that's including the commute part etc. Maybe though I'm sure I'd be wiped out and very sore!

Happy Healing......
 
This is pretty funny on the work thing....talking to my mom about my OS appt tomorrow and she asked me if Im ok'd to work will I go straight in to the office after my appt?! OMG! NO. I told her I would go in Thursday if ok'd. I feel like I'm going to be exhausted getting back to work, get up at 6, shower, dry the hair, makeup, drive to work, work all day (maybe). Just thinking about it makes me tired! :what:
 
Hi Buffi,

I will say this knowing what I know now. If you can pace yourself, maybe go in on shorter hours, part time definitely ask. Even if the dr says YAY ok you are all set to go back to work mention to him or his nurse you are a little worried about returning to work because of your energy level and see what they suggest. If you bounce in there like woooohoooo can I go to work I think they will say yes....just ask the next question. This is a topic on here where many people are passionate about taking the time off, especially Josephine, Jamie and Jaycey now I know why!

You make total sense with the shower, make up hair part then driving...I really don't think I could quite do that yet. I literally roll out of bed and pretty much clean my teeth then start working, to walk Miles I throw on a baseball hat and go. Is sounds like I'm super busy but many of my projects are home based which is much easier!

I really did add this to my list of questions for my OS visit and found if I needed more time off they would have been happy to approve.

Even today a coworker asked me today was I glad I came back to work so soon and I said mixed feelings. Yesterday I did have to stop and take a 30 minute nap during work hours. Anita writes about the energy zap when she returned to work.

Wow I get on my soap box on this topic dont I.....LOL I think it's important to recover and be good to ourselves. If you feel tired ask to go home early, when I get tired I get very clumsy...better to be safe during this time of healing!!

PS - last mummy comment also mention the energy thing to your boss just nefore you return just incase you have to leave early. I stressed to my boss I was thrilled to come back to work, then added my concerns and she was totally was groovy and understood!

xxooxx
 
This is pretty funny on the work thing....talking to my mom about my OS appt tomorrow and she asked me if Im ok'd to work will I go straight in to the office after my appt?! OMG! NO. I told her I would go in Thursday if ok'd. I feel like I'm going to be exhausted getting back to work, get up at 6, shower, dry the hair, makeup, drive to work, work all day (maybe). Just thinking about it makes me tired! :what:

After growing up in the 70's and long hair was king I fought tooth and nail while in the Military Pushing the envelope about my hair. I Started to hang out with my fishing partners who never spent a day in the military and they all sported crewcuts or flat tops. I made the switch and shaved a couple of minutes off of the Quick Turn., Three S's: Shower, Shave, and....well, you know.

Take a page from AZ Rep. Gabby Gifford Go short for a couple of months:blush:
 
Hey John. Take a pain pill and go back to sleep hahahaha that was funny!!
 
Sarah:

Scar looks good - big - but good.

Maybe we should play the lottery and hope to eliminate this work thing...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom