Guest viewing is limited

THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sarah,

Here's a little cushion that my husband and I find helpful in the office chair & other chairs as well. Maybe it would be something that makes you a bit more comfy too:

https://www.tushcush.com/

I hope that today you will "schedule" two breaks to do whatever exercises or stretches you did before your return to work... stiffness is yucky (uncomfortable). If you feel like you are ready to transition from your pain meds schedule you could try something like Tylenol during the daytime hours, but do go easy on making the transition smooth so that you don't have a wave of discomfort now that you are back to work and being more active. Just my .02 cents worth... :wink1:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Sarah, I use a wedge cushion as well - all the time. They do help!
 
Morning Cardie...as always thank you! I'm going to order this morning and Jaycey thank you!

One quick question for debate. In the past I will say Advil is probably my pain pill of choice, I did try alleve and wasn't so thrilled. I keep hearing Tylenol extra strength. My dr's nurse recommend Advil or Alleve and with Alleve to double up dosage adding the difference is these they also act as a anti Flamatory.

So what is the scoop please...or does it come down to personal preference?

Many thanks,

xxooxx
 
Sarah:

In some weird way it feels good to be back at work, doesn't it? As much as I hated the drive, just being back in the office and interacting with people felt good. Somehow Instant Messaging just isn't the same as popping in someone's office.

Glad you made it. I'm all for the periodic up and around otherwise the stiffness settles in.

Keep up the activity as best you can.
 
Hi Sarah,
It is great to start getting our oldselves back again. I hiked and camped for most of my life and to gradually having to do less and less was so sad. In the end I just couldn't go for a walk or even a swim. And now well, it might be slow and on crutches but at least it is pleasant ant not painful to go for a walk and I am walking further as weeks go by not less. It is hard to stay cheerful at times as we watch the things we love doing and need to do become so painful and sometimes impossible- and throw in lack of sleep as well. Amazing really we managed as well as we did I bet!!!! I have a cat and he has been lovely company- but wants to jump up on my leg so I have to watch out. Feeding him has been fun as I cant bend down to his bowl. He has been a bit put out when his dinner landed on his head from above.:th_heehee:
All the best Gizmo
 
Hi everyone....

Gizmo your last comment about dropping the food on the cats head made me giggle! Plus cats don't have the same sense of humor like dogs, so when you say he was put out it makes total sense!! Good to hear from you it's been a while. At the end of the day right now I feel so lucky to have had this surgery done and feel over the next few months some of those old pastime fun things will be a reality again!! xxooxx

Hi Chef, it is good to get back to work, only thing is my sitting thing...BUT I just wrote on NYLiz page there is no way I could commute right now, I total respect for you going back the way you did especially when you said the distance and throw in the weather. Example tonight I shut down around 5.30 and seriously I had enough energy to lay on my bed and felt wobbly. Don't panick I feel great and had a productive day, but throw in the other responsibility like driving home that would be tough right now! I'm also going to confess I miss the office sometimes after 3+ yrs of being home based I've adjusted.....if I never travelled to see my group during the year at our shows, I probably would get a job here in Dallas back in an office...I think?!?! Easy to say but then again i might get back to an office and be a totally unruly heathen with my own Sarah Office Rules LOL I get kicked out and sent home!

If anyone is reading this.....the link Cardie posted for the seat cushion earlier I called them direct primarily because I had questions about different styles. The lady stayed on phone and helped me order online plus gave me a $5 coupon it's a family owned business and she was super super nice!! Also stressed if I was not happy I could return for a full refund. I probably will have it by Monday and will report back. If it works like I think it will I feel it's a must for a office-desk job....just sharing!!

WEW I'm a sleepy baby tonight!

Hope everyone is well tonight! I'm going to read posts...

Night night...

xxooxx
 
One quick question for debate. In the past I will say Advil is probably my pain pill of choice, I did try alleve and wasn't so thrilled. I keep hearing Tylenol extra strength. My dr's nurse recommend Advil or Alleve and with Alleve to double up dosage adding the difference as these also act as a anti-inflamatory.

Well, I'm not the best when it comes to compare & contrast on pain meds, so hopefully Jo will make suggestions about the differentiation between these types.

My experience was that I took Norco for pain after my surgery and it has acetaminophen in it. When I was ready to step down on the pain pills I just went to extra strength tylenol for my transition since it's just more of the same (acetaminophen) without the codeine. I was also taking Voltaren separately as an anti-inflammatory for the first few months after surgery -- so I had the NSAID thing going as well.

Hope today is good and that you don't work to exhaustion....
Take care,
Cardie
 
Sarah, Check with your doctor to be sure, but I question taking two non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds (aleve and ibuprofen) together. These drugs can be hard on your kidneys and your stomach and it's not good to take too much of them--I've always been told to take only up to the max of *one* of these types of drugs. Tylenol and ibuprofen can be taken together with no problem as long as you don't exceed the max daily dose of either one.

The cat food on the head thing was a funny picture on my head! I'm going to be feeding my dogs in a similar manner and food will probably go every which way when I dump it from above, ha ha, but they are really good at getting pieces that fall to the side. My cats have a large gravity feeder on the second floor and I will have a friend fill that for me once a week.

Dorothy
 
Rider is correct. You should not take two NSAIDs together.
 
Just catching up on your thread. Sounds like you're doing great Sarah, well done. Careful not to overdo it.:0)
 
Hi Sarah

Oh no! This work thingy sounds exhausting.... Think I will give it a miss next week.... :) :):)

Seriously though, you sound as though you are doing fantastically well and loving your walks with Miles (Miles, hugs from your virtual mummy xxxx ). I do hope your special cushion arrives on Monday, I have looked around for something similar here in OZ, but sadly it shows we are in the back of beyond down under!

I agree about taking two NSAIDs together, if that is your intention, must admit though I am not familiar with US drugs. I shudder when I think of what silent impact to my kidneys happened as a result of taking them.. I am now listed as allergic, never to take them again.. be careful with OTC drugs baby girl:) xxxx
 
Morning.......

No not planning on taking two types of over the counter pills. I was just curious what everyone felt the better one was or was it a personal choice....my choices are Alleve or Advil (my nurse recommended because of the anti flam factor) or Tylenol.

Thank you for sweet messages!

It was a good week, definitely tired and sore from the sitting at the desk. I didnt walk that much this week, plan to walk over weekend....then next week work that into my daytime routine with job.

Mid week I had driven to the supermarket and petsmart all low key, and im slow walking around, however it's a nice feeling to be indendent.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

xxooxx
 
Glad to hear you are getting used to your independence - soon it will be like nothing ever happened! I, too get sore when I sit too long. Your walking plan sounds good! Maybe I will join you (virtually that is):wink1:

Continue doing well!

Judy
 
One quick question for debate. In the past I will say Advil is probably my pain pill of choice, I did try alleve and wasn't so thrilled. I keep hearing Tylenol extra strength. My dr's nurse recommend Advil or Alleve and with Alleve to double up dosage adding the difference is these they also act as a anti-flamatory.

Advil is ibuprofen: maximum intake per 24 hrs is 3,200 mg
Aleve is naproxen: maximum intake per 24 hrs is 660 mg
Tylenol: maximum intake per 24hrs recently recommended by the FDA is a limit of 3,200mg due to people not taking care that other medications they are taking also have acetaminophen in them. Assuming this is not the case, then a maximum of 4,000mg is safe

Both are NSAIDs. Naproxen has a slightly different action that ibuprofen but basically they are both much the same strength and effectiveness which is okay for mild-moderate pain.

Tylenol (acetaminophen, paracetamol) is a much stronger pain medication than NSAIDs so long as it is taken in appropriate dosage which is 1,000mg.


However, the consequential issues to be considered are the side effects.
With Tylenol, much is made of the danger of liver damage but it is actually a perfectly safe medication provided - just as with any other medication - that the daily maximums are closely observed.

With NSAIDs, however, there is a always risk of ulcers and bleeding in the stomach and other related GI problems. These known side effects can have very serious consequences, including death. They can occur at any time when taking NSAIDs and may show up without previous warning. These can be amplified in older adults who take NSAIDs. Therefore, if the individual already has stomach problems, s/he should consult with their doctor before taking NSAIDs.

I can tell you that here in the UK, GPs currently are extremely leery about prescribing NSAIDs for more than one or two weeks due the the number of NSAID induced GI bleeds that occur. However, they are very happy to prescribe paracetamol long term.
 
Josephine....thank you!

Making sure I got that right, example if I take Advil @200mg I can basically take up to 16 pills a day. Then Tylenol extra strength @500mg up to 8 pills a day.

Not sure if anyone feels the same way, I find the pharmacy completely overwhelming you walk down an aisle looking for one simple product and you are faced with about 25 brands claiming to fix the same thing, and everything is so confusing grrrrrrrrr! Things like allergy medicine and cold stuff drives me bonkers. I'm the one who walks in and goes and asks pharmacist for help.

Again thank Josephine!

xxooxx
 
That's correct.

With the Tylenol you SHOULD take 1000mg at a time for it to work properly (total 4000mg per 24 hours).

With the ibuprofen, only take what you need for it to work, but no more than 800mg at one time (total 3200mg per 24 hours).
 
YooooHooooo!

Jamie, Josephine thank you for the OTC pain pill advice!

Quiet weekend for me, unless I'm loosing my mind tomorrow will be 6 weeks not sure if I'm counting that right it seems much longer!

The good news has to be yesterday I took over more of the walking routine for Miles. I could do all his walks, however he has made good friends with Jack so for now I will do the early morning, then Jack does 10am (they walk for an hour)...then I have the 4 and 9pm times slots. The 4pm both days I have walked about a mile (30 minutes) feels good too. I probably could go without the cane because my legs feel strong, I just cannot shift the limp without the cane....what's funky the cane is really a pain to walk with more of a liability. For now though I'm using :)

Another good thing, using a regular toilet and having my restrictions lifted has naturally helped my knee to bend and loosen up plus bending over I have no problems with putting on shoes, socks etc with no help. Plus sleeping on my un-operated side is easy, haven't tried my operated side yet. Its funny I seem to wake up on my back, guess I got use to that position.

I'm still holding of on the phase 2 of the out patient therapy, I think in about 1-2 weeks then i will jump in. Cardie that was good advice this way I won't blow a fuse with my energy. Everything seems to be falling into place easily which I like!

Full week of work tomorrow. My tush cushion arrived, I'll let ya know how that works!

My goal for the new week, work full time, walk Miles 3x daily one of the walks is the long one! Go to the supermarket and then take my car for its big service tomorrow. Wow I'm almost back to normal.......Yay!!

Sending lots of happy healing to everyone!

xxooxx
 
You are doing great, Sarah! Sounds like you are out of the "box" remember that discussion many pages back about the reduced numbers of activities many of us experienced due to pain and limited mobility in our hips???

Hope you were able to navigate into some OTC pain meds after the help from the J mods -- Jamie & Jo!

Have a great week,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom