THR DallasSarah post op update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Almost and Cardie,

Cardie you are always such a great support. Appreciate you big time, I'm thinking about therapy end of the month by that time I'll be very solid on my feet and energy levels strong, then all I need to worry about is the actually excercises and not stress about being wiped out. I do think in some sense I'm a little behind, I'm awful and will admit I no longer do the home exercises. I always liked Josephine's comment that our hips have a way of healing by themselves. Surely by now you can tell I'm not a huge lover of working out. My walking adventures I love, I could walk forever outside and be happy! By the end of this month though I will be ready for a PT professional to help me balance out and strengthen my walk and nip my limp all together.

The scale...I know your right that's why I had dumped the last scale, it was old too. See next comment.....

Almost they have the scale on the fitbit website however they are not shipping till end of April. Does the scale on Withings website work with the fitbit? It's the same manufacturer not sure why wait. I did like the idea of this type of scale.

Cardie...I sometimes need a little one of one competitive type of toys, the scale would make me focused with the numbers etc. I'm pondering I might wait for a minute and maybe not get one.

Love adding coconut oil into protein drinks :) with eating what I will do is next week to jump start myself is only eat red meat (don't cringe) and raw green only veggies, 2 eggs a day along with a grapefruit in the am and pm along with tons of water. Funny part is i can eat as much steak and veggies as i want no limit. I know there is a little mixed thoughts about red meat, however it's good iron intake. I did this last June with this health nutrition lady she was refered to me by my OS nurse. After the first week I then go onto a very healthy style eating plan, the steak goes back to maybe 2 times a week if desired and portioned control.

I will ask this if there is anyone reading.....I have a coworker who has a Hurom juicer and swears by it. We are alike Im not a huge lover of veggies especially the dark leafy ones, the juicer idea looks like a good way to get all ones daily veggie intake into a drink. No way am I eating raw or cooked kale, celery, sprouts list goes on.....Only one I can eat is spinach in a salad. The one thing i did learn last year before my surgery is that food plays a huge role in inflammation big time! I was heating healthy and feeling fabulous walking into my surgery.

Any thoughts on juicing would be appreciated. Its not a inexpensive adventure, I want to be sure before I plunge in :)

Many thanks!

xxooxx
 
My BF set it up, but yes, the Withings just automatically loads into the Fitbit website.

I have a Vitamix which I love, but it's more of a super blender rather than a juicer. I sometimes hide some greens inside the smoothies :-)
 
Hi Sarah

I wanted to send you a private message about juicing and dieting (cos it's not strictly about hips), but there's a notice saying you don't receive private messages. Is this right?
 
Morning Jane.....

I just added you as a friend and sent you a private message. I'm not sure what I've done to block messages. I've checked my options tons of times and seem to missing something (my brain probably!!)

Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on juicer.

xxooxx
 
Sarah....I had a look at your profile and you did have a "toggle" checked to only receive PMs from moderators and contacts. I changed it so that you can now receive PMs from anyone who writes you. If you ever want to change it back to that, you can do so easily by going into your profile.
 
Jason Vale does some great juice recipes that include veggies and they taste great. Google him. There's also a lot of diet and food talk in the social room.
 
And don't forget the coconut oil - google The site Niulife it has excellent information regarding the benefits of including coconut oil into one's diet.

Check out the drop downs and links to further information - I am about to make some chilli chocolate (which is the only chocolate that I know helps one to lose weight!!
 
Jamie thank you for fixing that!

And thank you everyone for the advice on juice, eating better ideas :)

I did pick up a inexpensive digital scale at Costcos today, good news I've gained 10lbs feels like more....not too bad. I'm thinking with reining in my eating along with my extra walking things will be fine. No stressed by this :)

Today was my first time back to Costcos....yup my favorite store! I was a little surprised we were there about an hour and all of a sudden I was wiped out, I think it was because the place was packed, lots of carts-trolleys and people yikes! Little overwhelming. We got in the car and I said to my friend I fancy a big margarita and she said lets do it.....hahaha my Sunday breakfast was a strong margarita with chips, salsa and a yummy quesadilla (why not salads next week!!) Then home for a nap WEW tough life uh!

I was reading in another thread about hot flashes, Josephine you mentioned you went to see a endocrinology and how they helped you, I wasn't sure what type of dr that was. Yes I'm in that hot flash time frame. Anyhoooooo next week I have an appointment with the internal dr who did all my pre-testing for my surgery, I really enjoyed him and asked him could I become a new patient, his office said no he wasn't taken new patients (pout) well one of the benefits of my morphine moments, he had come each day to check in on me while in hospital and YES my sales-morphine personality convinced him to take me as a patient hahahahahah oh dear! Sorry I'm waffling......he is a endocrinology dr too so I'm thinking tonight I could have a serious chat with him about my hormones, yes? I was going to wait for my annual girly check and talk to the other dr but she always says I'm too soon to get checked. I'm going to ask him! I always wonder if all this stuff is connected to weight gain. This is a whole different chapter in life and not really related to hips sorry!!

Wishing everyone a good healthy, happy week!

Wow as of tomorrow I'm 7 weeks post op and loving everyday...

Lots of love..

xxooxx
 
An endocrinologist deals with diseases and disorders of endocrine glands which includes
thyroid
parathyroid
pineal (in the brain)
pituitary (also in the brain)
pancreas
gonads (ovaries and testicles)

Like most of these specialities there are subspecialities so you get doctors who specialise in either diabetes, in cancer of said organs or even in particular organs like the thyroid or the two glands in the brain.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a man who specialised in malignant conditions of the core glands like the thyroid, pituitary, pancreas and ovaries so he was well placed to deal with my case.

Hope this helps some.
 
Hi Sarah:

Just a quick chime in on the weight gain. When I had my knee done I lost about 10 pounds mostly due to no appetite. With my hip I've gained 20 pounds. Odd, because I felt more active with my hip than my knee. So I'm trying to figure out how to drop those 20 I gained so I can fit into more clothes to go to work in. I was a little worried the first week back only finding 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of dress pants that I could fit into:scratch:.

Regarding your Costcos trip. Perhaps your problem was having to take smaller steps because it was crowded. When I did shows in Vegas I remember how much my hips would hurt, not so much from walking, but from having to take smaller steps than I was used to. What do you think? Maybe?

Don't feel like you are behind. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. We are all different and heal at different rates.
 
Hi Chef....

Good hearing from you, how's work?

I started today my eating plan to drop the lbs! Wouldn't it be nice if we could eat whatever we liked and whenever along with no portion control...That is odd why you gained more weight with your knee. I'm glad I caught myself and committed to not gaining more, what a sin especially with a new hip! No excuse!!

You could be right about Costcos trip, plus I think all the people overwhelmed me big time, little fear maybe! Yes those wicked tradeshow floors, my first show this year is April this gives me plenty of time to get ready, plus it's our NY show it's not to bad to walk much easier than our LV show

I cannot say this enough I'm loving my walking outside I have no pain at all which is such a gift!

Sending lots of good wishes,

Sarah
 
Hi Sarah, I just caught up with your thread. WHEW! You have been a very busy girl! That's wonderful. The walking should eventually help with the weight gain - at least I hope so because that is.what I tell myself too. Seems to me that since the surgery my weight has fluctuated independently from my eating habits, so I am also very intrigued by the suggestion that at three months there will be a spontaneous weight loss. Sounds marvelous.
 
Sarah, I'm much like you when it comes to veggies. It's not that I don't like them at all, it's just that they are my least preferred food--seems like they don't have much flavor compared to everything else. I know they can be seasoned and creatively prepared to taste better, but I'm a no-fuss kind of cook--the shorter the prep time and the fewer ingredients needed to prepare my meals, the better. And, no way can veggies compete with chocolate! lol

I did read about something recently that I'm going to try--adding frozen broccoli to a fruit/yogurt smoothie. They say (I'll let you know if it's the truth) that the broccoli just purees and disappears into the smoothie and you can't taste it as broccoli. I also try to drink V8 juice to up my intake of vegs.

Another thing I just thought of for when I'm home after surgery is to get the slim-fast type drinks that are loaded with vit/mins and supplement my food intake with them. I don't think I'll be motivated to do more than warm up one thing at a time in the microwave, and I definitely don't see myself preparing the variety of foods necessary to get a nutrients my body will need during this time, and the drinks might be a way to balance out the overall nutrition.

One last shopping trip before surgery and I'm also cooking up a couple more "main dish" type meals, and then it will be time to be off to the hospital!

I'm so glad you are able to walk so much and so pain free. That must be the most wonderful feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy
 
Hahahaha Anita I'm hoping and wishing on the 3 months weight loss approach hahaha!!

Dorothy your almost there, wow very exciting!

I do think some of the weight gain is based on eating every time I had to take pain pills, I had no interest in getting sick from the pills ripping up my insides.
I feel better already just after two days of watching what I eat, drinking lots of water. My new fitbit pedometer arrived this evening...so tomorrow will be fun tracking how far I'm walking each day. Tonight I took Miles out for his quick pee walk and we are probably out for about 20-30 minutes and it said I had done .75 mile WOW!! That's not my big walk either.

Chef.....I was thinking you are right when I'm walking outside, no obstacles, nice long strides I feel great. The short steps, the stops and standing I think are more tiring. Below is a good example of again how tired I got...

I did get up very early this morning I had to go and give blood for my physical later this week. I'm doing so well, driving, walking through parking lot, hospital etc but I still got home and shortly after being back had to take about an hour nap, once I woke up thought felt GREAT and had tons of energy all afternoon and tonight too! Interesting how this surgery Zapps your energy!

Wishing everyone lots of good wishes and happy healing!

Night Night,

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah

Great report, so pleased you are doing so well. You will get your weight under control with the extra walking our favourite puppy...

Sorry Miles, you have to tell Mummy, that Ms Sandy isnt getting a puppy any time soon.. Have to have another operation this year like your Mummy, but I promise either next year or the one after :doggieshmooze:

Yep, I can relate to the energy drain whilst working now... can't wait to lie flat when I get home. - ah! bliss

Lots of love and sleep tight :sleep: xx
 
Hi Sarah,

Nap Attack -- that's what I referred to as those times when suddenly I'd feel drowsy and need to lie down for an hour. Always felt much better when I woke up -- it's all part of that stamina thing and eventually you won't feel like a toddler going down for your afternoon nap...

Have a nice day with your fitbit, :yay:
Cardie
 
I am usually not a fan of naps....historically I wake up grumpy from them.

But since the surgery, when I stop for a minute to catch my breath and I feel that desire for a nap come over me, I love to just give in and say "SURE..I think a nap now would be awesome" :yes 4:

And for me they have never been shorter...15-30 min is just fine by me...but I do not resist AT ALL!

Z
 
Hey Sarah - thanks for your post over on my thread. I cringed reading about your car accident years ago - my gosh you've been thru a LOT.

Hope that you are doing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom