Guest viewing is limited

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bellaroma Well Beth, I can't even talk to my husband when we are out walking, just can't break the concentration. Happy birthday to you too!
 
Hi Vicki,

Happy Birthday and how nice that you skipped your clams for some celebration time with your friend. Nice to be able to sit and be comfy!! That stiffness when you got up does get better with time too, it's just good to get up and move around -- but it sounds like you've got that under control too.

I don't think that it's cheating to stand feet apart to touch your toes, as long as it doesn't bother your knee. Do you have some other hamstring types of stretches that you do -- maybe lying down??

How about something like this:


Glad that you tried the walnut!! :)
Take care,
Cardie
 
Belated Happy Birthday Vicki how lovely that you had a good night out with your friends and I agree, there should be no exercising on ones birthday....a girls gotta have a treat on her special day :flwrysmile:

Hope having the emergency cane makes a bit of a difference, it is very handy to have on you on your walks.

Wouldn't worry at all about not being able to touch ya toes.....I still cannot do it most day although I do have my moments when I can just get right down there, depends on how stiff I am and that varies greatly from day to day.

Pleased you are using those walnuts,just one more thing along with the zillions of others we have to concentrate on whilst walking along....oh to be able to just tootle along looking at the scenery and having a nice relaxing chat. One day for us all hopefully. :)

Cheerio for now.xxx
 
C Mac Cardie, I did those stretches.. not too badly either. But I didn't push it. Did 5 on each side and didn't pull beyond what felt comfortable. Felt that afterwards but in a good way. What do you have for me going towards the weekend? I feel as though I have the most wonderful personal trainer!! Just like my imaginary childhood friend... I was a sad little sack. Have been a little more uncomfortable so far this week but possibly from all the sitting around and socializing. I keep forgetting it is early days.
 
Well, I'm certainly no personal trainer -- I can't even get my own darn routine up and running...

For the weekend I'd say try to figure out a bit more about what it is that is feeling "uncomfortable", you describe it being from sitting. Still got your bike and walking routines in place & feeling ok from those?

Maybe you need to schedule a massage for next week, some time to work on any of the fascia that might be tight, if you think that might help.

Yes, it is the early days and it's a bit of experimenting trying to determine what kinds of movements and activities feel good and helpful and what might not be as good just yet. There's also the balance of having enough time for rest and assessing if an activity bothers you a day or two later -- it's not always immediate, at least for me...

Have a good weekend,
Cardie
 
How about stretching your hip flexors? Many people at your stage of recovery find that and hamstring stretches to be particularly helpful.
 
alexthecat I've been trying this exercise that Cardie posted on someone else's thread. I can't get either knee anywhere near flat and have trouble keeping the base of my spine flat on the floor. Is that just my historic ROM problem? No wonder I can't sit cross-legged. Do you think I can improve it? Cardie also posted the piriformis stretch (one leg over the other knee) and I can do that one a little better and get it into the lifted position. Feels very good.
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
 
Hi Vicki. It's brilliant that you can do the Piriformis stretch, could you do that pre surgery and the one above? I can't do either independantly.I get Hubby to gently push my leg into the position so it will go I just don't have the muscles to do it myself. Think they are non existant to be honest and it is definitely due to my history.

How is the walking going, are you still crunching those walnuts? I tried it going uphill and was pathetic, Lord know what my face looked like as I was squeezing away. I was like a proper gurner I'm sure. Sitting here doing it I can feel my buttocks going in and out but once I move it is a different story, we just got to keep at it eh :)

Take care

Ann
 
Funny thing about that pose- I can't get my non-op leg flat. Close, but only within a few inches of the bed, and pre-arthritis I am pretty sure it was about the same case in both legs.

However, post-op I was amazed that my right leg would go absolutely flat against the bed- it was pretty freaky at first.
 
Hi Vicki! Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a busy week at work for me.

I do think your Range of Motion will improve in the coming months. It can take a good, long while for soft tissue to fully heal after THR. It may not affect day-to-day life, but for more bendy things it can. It's fine to work on increasing ROM, but don't be aggressive about it.

We had a bit of a discussion starting around #128 here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/one-year-post-op.10150/page-7
If you want to read that and then come back here, we can discuss that.
 
OOOoooohhhh look, fun new buttons to press...

We had a lot of fun in Alex's thread trying out new stretches and getting answers to our questions about things to try and movements we were able to do.

Take care,
Cardie
 
I have so many different threads saved to my reading list I get lost sometimes. Everytime I see a new exercise I have to save it. It is very useful though. Sometimes it helps to go back as we do forget the earlier ones as we learn new ones but then I go back to the earlier ones and it hurts a bit so there I am back and forth and all over the place really.lol

Hope Monday goes well Vicki

Ann.x
 
like Davefd I could not put my knee out flat to the side, but my left just falls open now. Just tried it withmy new right hip, but that is not happening
 
C Mac Wow, I'm impressed that your leg just dropped flat Cardie. I have never been close and I doubt I ever will be, on either side. But I will keep trying. I can do the letter 4 exercise tho (leg up on knee) on both sides, whatever that means. alexthecat You are right, I must take my time, try things out but not expect too much too soon. Thanks for the advice and I am reading through your very interesting exercise thread. Everyone should have access to that.. such great suiggestions. Anniepops Thanks Ann, maybe a shot or something is in my future. I fell off a donkey at age 8 (that's a story in itself) and damaged a bunch of soft tissue. Years ago when it locked up for 2 weeks I was told I have a floater in it. Maybe its worked itself into an odd spot and is causing me grief. Cross fingers.
 
Brilliant thanks Alex, I hadn't even noticed that one, so many new things going on! I will be able to get rid of all the BS pages stored on my ipad desktop now and have it all in one place.
 
Very envious ( but also very happy for you :) )here Vicki that you can do the letter 4, haven't heard it being referred to as that before but I like it. Think I will ask hubby to have a go at getting me in that position. Perhaps it will be another one that I can manage with help. Do you find it easy to just do it or is it a bit of a struggle
 
How did it go at the Doctors today Vicki?
 
Anniepops Thanks for caring. Turns out I am bone on bone in the patellofemoral compartment. That's actually good news because the rest of the knee is perfect. So, if I do require a partial knee replacement down the line, it should see me out as I am not a marathon runner or mountain climber. This knee has been bothering me on and off for years.. despite never having had any x-rays, various physios have treated me for patellofemoral syndrome and have tried taping me to help with tracking. It didn't. Plus I have been wearing a knee brace on and off, which did help but doesn't any more. It was always first things first-- my hip was job one. But now the knee is swollen to almost twice its normal size so we are doing this one step at a time. Today I had a Depo-Medrol shot, which for those who don't know, is an anti-inflammatory. If it brings down the swelling but doesn't help my pain, he will try injecting something else. And if that doesn't work, its a PKR. I hope the shots will buy me some time but I need the leg strong so I can exercise my new hip and get rid of my muffin top.

As an aside, my OS repeated again how tough it was to do my THR, implying he had a worrisome few minutes! Despite everything, I consider myself very,very lucky.
 
Oh big bummer Vicki not what we wanted to hear. I suppose a partial is better than a full right? Is it because of your CDH that the other knee has gone then? My good knee is bothersome but not all the time. Don't know if that is because of my CDH though. Hope the shot brings you relief anyway. Fingers crossed.x.

What a relief to hear although things were a little bit dicey in the operating theatre your OS managed to pull though and do a great job. Just as well we don't know these things beforehand eh!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom