THR One year post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy.... I think even I could manage your sun salutation...love it:hysterical:

There is a yoga instructor named Matthew Sanford who was paralyzed in an auto accident as a child. His classes and videos are aimed specifically at people with physical limitations. He has given me a new perspective on what yoga is and who can do it. Very inspirational stuff...

Glad I bopped over to your thread Alex. It is always a wealth of information. I checked out that Matthew Stafford video-very inspiring, thanks so much for mentioning it. Also was needing some hammy stretche reminders so your link to them in the library was just what I needed. Reminded me that some simple stretches can go a long way. Thanks again -Cathy

Hi Alex

Thanks so much for all the information you provide to us. I too checked out Matthew Sanford and am looking at ordering his CD. :)

Thanks again, Alex! That bend is very do-able. I have put together a set of exercises and stretches now that help and am being a bit more organised about doing them. Will post when I can reach the ground (that'll be the day!)

Well, I am about here...

awww.drbackman.com_tfl_lateral_thigh_lga.jpg

Which is a good stretch... :biggrin:

But, still not all the way down on the ground or able to get that front leg to rotate at the knee.

Cardie

Knees are actually not designed to rotate very much. The external rotation in Pigeon comes from the hip, not the knee.

Are you able to do this?

awww.proactivefitness.com_images_stretch_Figure_Four.jpg

How about this one?

awww.bigbackpain.com_Editor_Assets_glutestretch_seated.jpg

That will give me an idea of which muscle(s) are limiting your ROM.

Haldox, good luck! I can't wait to hear how that goes.

Sandy, if you do decide to order that, I hope you'll let me know what you think of it. :biggrin:

Everyone else, I'm speechless. Thanks! :blush:

Hi Alex,

Yes, that is true knees, don't really rotate -- duh...

I can do the stretch like the man above -- my knee on the THR side doesn't go all the way down to the floor like his. I can do it sitting like the girl as well with about the same degree of rotation. It is plenty tighter on the THR side than the normal one. Same with a stretch like this
as1.hubimg.com_u_1890412_f520.jpg

My knees are at different heights off the floor and the angles of my femurs are slightly different from one another. It's always been that way.

Ok, let me know if anything comes to mind --
Thank you,
Cardie

Hi Alex,
Thanks for all the stretches, but the problem I have is that I can't really attempt any of them apart form the easy one. Even stretching my quads, my foot is no where near my bum and it is hard to get my hand to my foot to pull it up.

I have been told numerous times by Physios to keep at it etc, but to be honest I really don't see a real difference. I know it's good to try and stretch as you get tighter but sometimes I feel 'does it really make a difference'.

Anyway, I don't know what my point is but just saying. My ROM was bad before and now just a little better.

I wil still keep on going.
Jyoti

Sorry Alex that I didnt get back to you sooner..very busy here! Im preparing for a HESI A2 entrance exam on Thursday, so lots of studying/refreshing.

So I tried the second pose - am not quite reaching my foot behind me and still need to work on balancing!

Are you able to do this?

awww.proactivefitness.com_images_stretch_Figure_Four.jpg

How about this one?

awww.bigbackpain.com_Editor_Assets_glutestretch_seated.jpg

That will give me an idea of which muscle(s) are limiting your ROM.

Can I hijack for a mo please @alexthecat: ?

I'm a year (side 1) or 9 months (side 2) post op. I can do the stretch in the first picture, although my knee is till about 6 inches off the ground.

I cannot really do the second stretch at all. I have to pull my ankle over my knee in order to get anything like the figure of 4.

Have you any thoughts what I could do to improve that?

Cappy, before I suggest anything for you can you tell me if you have any pain (including burning, aching, zaps, etc) in either hip, butt, thigh, or groin?

Alex, I don't have any pain, only stiffness.

My deterioration was over several decades so I may be looking for the impossible but I want to give it my best.

Thank you for your time Alex, and apologies for hijacking your thread.

Cappy, you're not hijacking anything, so don't give it another thought.

Is the stiffness in anyplace in particular or is it an overall thing?

It's really general stiffness - but only when I'm pushing myself a bit. I have no problems walking or using stairs etc and I'm pain free. But I struggle a bit to swing my leg over my bike - that kind of movement.

I can't do the figure of four and my flexors get a bit achey if I take the stairs two at a time.

Okay... I've finally got my computer to behave, so I can type out a long comment with lots of photos!

@Jyoti: Are you getting any benefits at all from the stretches you have been doing? I don't mean, are you getting more flexible, but are you feeling better at all? Does it seem like the stretches are helping you in some way? If not, I think it's time to take a break. Maybe just focus on something else for a while. I'm starting to see some research that suggests that doing lots and lots of stretching can interfere with the body's ability to build strength. I'm not sure that stretching is what you need now. That is just my opinion though.

@haldox: I can reach the back foot if it's the non-THR leg that is behind me. If it's the THR side back there, I can connect my hand and foot, but I can't quite grab on. For now, I'm using a belt to pull that leg in more.

@C Mac: and @The Cappuccino Kid: Try out this stretch for me:

health_body-3.jpg

You're looking for an inner thigh stretch in the straight leg. Don't lock your knee and keep your toes pointing straight ahead or in slight external rotation.

Cardie, can you stand with your legs in lateral rotation like this?

aimg.ehowcdn.com_article_new_ds_photo_getty_article_103_81_dv2034008_XS.jpg

Sorry about the photo. I'm in a hurry and it's the best one I could find at the moment. Imagine you are standing on a clock. Your face is pointing at 12 o'clock. What times are your feet pointing at?

Cappy, are you able to do this stretch?

awww.t_nation.com_img_photos_2008_08_182_training_image009.jpg

Alex, I was dreaming about your stretches last night. I was doing the one the girl in the pink Tshirt is doing and I was amazed I could do it with operated leg but worried if I should be because I still have restrictions. I think I must be getting a bit obsessed with having a go.lol. In real life I know I can't even lift up my leg yet......good to have something to aim for though.x.

Anniepops, sorry for invading your dreams. :th_heehee:

When I was as far out from surgery as you are now, I couldn't do that stretch either. I had very little abduction and essentially no external rotation in that hip. I used to sit in my recliner with the foot of the THR side on the foot rest and try to relax and let gravity open that hip out to the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads