THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sansabosa How lovely Selin. I will of course be happy to chat with you nearer the time of your trip, it would be fantastic to meet up!
 
Went to a massage therapist today and she worked on my scar area, leg and bad knee. I heartily recommend it. My hip feels like less of a log now she's started loosening everything. Can easily do an hour on the bike with added tension and walk a mile at least every day, pain free.
 
Nice one with the shoes Vicki, I bet you felt blooming marvelous strutting your stuff in a pair of heels :egypdance:

I haven't wore proper girlie shoes yet, bit wary of buying some in case I fall over in them and haven't owned a pair for years but last summer I got some flip flops with a slight wedge and it definitely feels better walking with a bit of a heel.

Pleased the massage therapist worked her magic on you. Have you got a foam roller...I can't remember if you got one. Might be a good idea so you can do a bit of self massage at home.

I'm so happy things are going brilliantly for you...that's what we like to hear :)

Toodle pip for now

Ann.x.
 
Went to a massage therapist today and she worked on my scar area, leg and bad knee. I heartily recommend it. My hip feels like less of a log now she's started loosening everything.

Hi Vicki,

How funny that you would use the analogy of your hip feeling less like a log after your massage -- I used that same comparison about both my legs after a rolfing appointment. It's amazing how helpful it is to have those muscles and fascia worked and released and how much more smoothly you can move afterwards!!

Fun to talk about the shoes again, we had a good time of it last year when we'd talk about "flip flop therapy" in Anniepops thread!! We can coach you and sansabosa through this new approach :heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Yes Cardi, I always enjoy a bit of a chat about shoes :) The weather has improved here so I have retrieved my flip flops out of the wardrobe. I love not having to wear socks!

There is a lot more we can do during recovery apart from just the exercises. Although I haven't tried rolfing or similar I do have a very special fondness for my foam roller and that's all thanks to you for introducing us.xxx

You are getting a lot of exercise in every day Vicki, great stuff :thumb: I wouldn't have the patience to do a whole hour on the bike and I just know my backside couldn't take it.lol.

Xx
 
Anniepops I do half an hour in the morning and break it into 2 x 15 mins sessions in the afternoon and evening. I watch the cooking channel, which gives you some idea as to why I need to ride the bike! I just downloaded the BBC app, which I shoot at the TV and am busy working through Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers and very old Jamie shows.

Trouble with the bike is that it doesn't help with the stability problem.. (side wobbles.) If I walk more than 15 minutes I start to feel sore, then I list a bit. So perhaps I am emphasizing the bike too much? I like it because it doesn't hurt my hip or my creaky knee. I am now up to the 2nd tension. I have to say I am getting a tight bum and my pants are much looser. C Mac.... what do you think? Would I be better to walk more than 20 mins a day and cut back on the cycling? I don't want to work out more than 1.5 hours a day as I don't feel ready for much more. Will everything work itself out in time given that I'm now doing two quick sessions of clam shells (yuck), side leg lifts and squats?
 
Ooo Vicki, get you with the tight bum.lol. You are doing far more indoor exercise than I ever done. I would do 10 mins bike and about half an hour floor exercises....clam shells,side leg lifts, bridges etc, ten mins standing up exercises then my walking. I personally think the leg exercises are the best thing for strengthening the different areas. You are still using a stick arn't you? It is much more difficult walking for a while when you do feel yourself starting to limp...that's when it's time to turn back methinks.

I don't know why we all hate the clamshells but it is definitely one of the less desired exercises for most of us.lol.
 
Anniepops No Ann, I haven't been taking the cane. When I feel a 'list' coming on, I just focus a lot harder on the heel toe and try to shift my weight back over my pelvis. I am trying the mind over matter approach. And I stop if I've had enough. I suppose this system could be working against me. Maybe I should go back on the cane, or take it with me, walk for longer distances and just bike for fun. Heck if I know. alexthecat Please feel free to weigh in.... am loving the squats by the way.
 
Great you are enjoying the squats...can you do them the 'proper' way unlike Cardie and I :gaah: who have had to practise doing them correctly.lol.
 
Oh and yes, perhaps it would be worth taking your cane with you to use when you feel yourself going haywire. I bought a folding one to stick in my bag just in case I felt the need....very handy as I would whip it out and go a little farther :)
 
Good idea Ann @anniepotts, I will go out right now and find a folding cane. I am currently doing 10 squats, 2x a day, holding to a count of 5 on the bend. I believe I am doing them correctly but I will go hang onto a doorknob and be absolutely sure. Do you think that's enough? It is a bit sore afterwards but only sore. Thanks for worrying about me!
 
PT instructed me to do 2 x 15 but no mention of holding on the bend. You just have to make sure your knees din't stick out further than your feet as per Alex' instructions, mine did ...a lot!!!
 
I was also doing them using an exercise ball up against the wall for a long time but great if you can do them without.
 
Anniepops. Good grief, where did Anniepotts come from? I am losing the plot, only had 4 hours sleep last night as I have started weaning off the half a sleeping pill that got me through surgery etc. Yes, think I've graduated from the ball. Now ..sigh..will have to up it to 15 reps, just to keep up with you. And stop holding. I am loving this long distance coaching by the way.
 
My opinion ... cycling is great for mobilizing your hip, so how's your range of motion? If it's pretty good or at least moving in the right direction, I would decrease biking and increase walking. Can you keep the morning cycling session and switch to walking for the later sessions?

I agree with Ann's suggestion of a folding stick. You don't wanted to risk developing a habitual limp.
 
Well, how quickly we forget to advise our Vicki about charlie cyborg and the suggestion to envision that you are cracking walnuts between the checks of your bum as you take your walk. Of course he wrote about it in a much more sophisticated manner in his thread way back when we were all trying so hard to get rid of our limp and strengthen our g. medius muscle. It really is just clenching or flexing of the glute muscles as you are walking along, the walnut was added in for the fun of having a purpose in the clenching that would make you giggle.

The limp will get better with time, come on you are only 3 months out from surgery. I think that you are doing great and that you should continue with the routine that you like and feel works best for you. At 3 months I still had trouble with "budgeting" how much walking I could do i.e. if I go to the grocery store I have to get thru the parking lot, around the store, thru the check-out line and then back to the car. Once my husband was making soup and needed an onion and I threw a tiny pity party/tantrum about not being able to go to the store for that because it would be too much walking and all my sore places already hurt. You, on the other hand, are way beyond that sort of sad business!!

How is it going with your stretching book? Find some things in it that look manageable & helpful? If you are nervous about a particular stretch you can always ask Alex, she's got great ROM and has done all sorts of different types of stretches & movements plus gives fantastic suggestions when you are trying to target particular areas.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Well, today I went out and bought a folding cane. So its now in my bag/pocket if I get caught out while on a longer walk. I was a bit annoyed to find that I couldn't touch my toes any more with my knees together but if I cheated and stood feet apart, I could do it. That's a bummer, not that I need to do that as a matter of course. I also started holding the 'walnut' between my cheeks as instructed, and I have to say -- it works! Boy did I ever feel that and beetled quickly back home to put ice on the side bits! So thanks for that my congenital buddies. I noticed that when I do the squeeze, I tend to engage the abs, which does double duty during the walk... in fact triple duty, if you count the act of walking itself! More bang for the limited exercise buck.

It was my b'day today, so I refused to do squats, clam shells or leg lifts. I did however, go out with friends for a 3 hour dinner and felt no discomfort at all until I stood up, which was quickly shaken off. I have carried a pillow around for a year, and nine months ago stopped going out at all because I couldn't sit at a table longer than 10 minutes without excruciating pain. So, my quality of life has vastly improved. Thanks Ann Anniepops and Cardie C Mac
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
Vida! You'll get back to toe touching a few more months down the road--it took me a while but somewhere around 10 to 12 months, I was able to touch toes and also put palms flat down on floor.

You're doing great---take care, keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
 
:yahoo: Happy Birthday Vida, We are both February babies. Mine was on the 14th. you are doing great, remember while you have the walnut between you cheeks, remember to stick you chest way out too, all helps. Straight back, tight core, shoulders back, heel to toe, no wonder I can not chew gum anymore while walking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom