THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dig This!!

If I was a member of the hip community I might look in to joining this gym -- and what a name!!!:thumb:

And, no, I don't mean the THR hip community...

Sorry about your knee, Vicki. Is the shot helping to settle down the swelling? I hope you can get some more time before having knee surgery too.

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac Thanks Cardie. Yes, the shot worked on the swelling so I am hopeful I can buy myself more time. I cannot face doing anything else along surgical lines right now. I need a vacation! Great gym name, very cool. Vida means life, which is what I expected to have after T H R. And i am still hoping........
 
Pleased the shot worked on the swelling Vicki but has it worked on the pain too?

I'm sure you can't face even thinking about any more surgery right now but if that time does come, as Beth says, we will be here for you...crikey we all have to be absconding over to the knee forum to keep an eye on you...seriously though, I hope not.

Take care

Ann

Cardie, haha nice find that gym.x.
 
What is this I read... You are moving to the knee side of the forum Vida?
 
Good oh .... Nice to hear, no more surgery on the horizon Vida :)
 
Hi Vicki,

Did you ever try a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement for your knee or hip over the years? I did it for many years prior to my THR and then for a while afterwards to help with my torn meniscus. While I won't make the claim that I grew new cartilage in either place I will say that it seemed to help with discomfort and I've heard that one of those components helps with inflammation as well.

The key, for me, with symptom relief was taking a large enough dosage 3Xs daily on a regular basis. Also, choice of a reputable brand name.

Glad that the shot helped!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh, Vida, I hope it doesn't come to knee surgery so soon! I will be facing a TKR sometime in the future, but I am hoping to put it off for many more years. Here's hoping it calms down. I personally haven't had much luck with glucosamine, but I have two friends who swear by it. If you aren't on it already, might be worth a try.
 
You are all so incredibly kind. I've taken glucosamine for many years and while my joints don't seem to respond too well, I will continue to take it. By the way, has anyone tried MSM 1000? I only heard about it this week: its supposed to build cartilage. We don't get it here in Canada but if anyone thinks its worth trying, I could send for it from the states.

We have had Argentinian visitors staying for a week and have been incredibly busy showing them around in-- made even harder because its cold and has rained big time every day! It also involved quite a lot of cooking on my part. I was amazed at how much I could do. But even at 5 months, I am easily exhausted and flop into bed ASAP. My hip hasn't been a problem, I didn't even tell them about my THR. Isn't that amazing?
 
By the way, has anyone tried MSM 1000?

Hi Vicki,

This is the supplement that I used to take and it has MSM in it, that way I didn't have to take another pill...

It sounds like you and your hip are doing splendidly, that is great news!! I hope the weather clears for a bit while you have your house guests.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Well, it's your money, folks, but research after research has shown that these pills are little more than placebos and unlikely to have any real effect upon joints damaged by arthritis. I wouldn't ever take them. But as I said, it's your money.
 
Well, as we say sometimes "Your mileage may vary..." in terms of whether something will be helpful or successful.:)

Respectfully,
Cardie
 
Well, the knee is swollen and sore again so I will call for an appointment tomorrow for the next stage in the shot-osphere. It will probably take 2 months to get in, so I may as well get the ball rolling. I could live with it but it is starting to affect my gait, which I have worked very hard to improve. C Mac Anniepops alexthecat You guys really have helped me a lot. When I saw my OS about my knee, he was incredibly impressed with the way I am walking. Apparently, I am a poster child for THR, which he says is astonishing given the level of difficulty. I told him it was all about friendship and walnuts.
 
Vicki, so sorry about that blummin knee, it's a real shame you may have a two month wait to get in for the next stage. I'm delighted to hear you OS considers you a poster child for THR especialy as you are a CDH gal and it wasn't a straightforward replacement...go you Vicki, you have worked very hard at making the most of your new hardware and I am so pleased it has gone so well for you.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi Vicki,

Well you pinky swear with that knee guy that if you let him scope your knee that he promises not to go wild talking stuff out of there -- you need your cushioning. You might mention the walnuts as being a trade-off for overzealousness in the scoping procedure... his walnuts.... :heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac Cardie, believe you me, there will be no scoping. I will try the injection route first and hopefully get a year or two out of it. If that doesn't help, I will only go for the partial, as he suggests. I really trust this guy: he understands that I need that knee to be strong if I am to continue making his hip job look so good! So his walnuts are safe with me-- for now.
Anniepops Thanks Ann. I am at a bit of a crossroads in my recovery. I have gone as far as I can with the bits that I have. But I will keep cycling and moving forward. I just want to live pain-free, at least enough to travel as planned and I wish the same for all my bonesmart friends. If I can't get my leg behind my head at this stage in life, that's not a serious problem. Will keep you posted but think I am in a holding pattern for a while.
 
You know, I've heard various things about partial knee replacement. Maybe Josephine has some wisdom to share on that.
 
alexthecat I wouldn't consider it except that the rest of my knee, and the other knee are completely arthritis-free. I am also 15 years older than you and don't plan on over-stressing my joints from now on. Any sort of surgery would be a last resort.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom