Guest viewing is limited

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Vicki, as you have probably read on my thread I'm another member of the foam roller appreciation society thanks to Cardie :) For such a simple thing it is amazing what a difference it makes so when you are further along and ready I thoroughly recommend it and the self massage technique Jo mentioned is good too. It does not half hurt at first but soon eases off after a few days of doing it.


Hope you're feeling good today, I am very envious of your hot tub in the garden, I bet that is sooo relaxing to lounge in :)

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Vida,

How are things going?? Do you have bursitis now? I'm also envious of the hot tub it does sound luxurious!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac
Hey Cardie, more to the point, how are you? I am keeping a close eye on your recovery!

I am a lot better since I got the meds back on track. I now realize that I need regular pain control and I don't beat myself up about it any more. After taking 10 days off I started physio again and we have banned all talk of clam shells and weights. I can do some abduction work lying on my back with bands, so I will strengthen over time. I do think my issue is bursitis but I am not as crippled by it as I was the last time. I almost let an OSmremove the bursa.. thank goodness I didn't. If it does not ease up at all I will ask for a shot when I go for my 12-week checkup on the 29th. Other than that, I am up to 10 mins on my bike, twice a day, plus gentle physio exercises, plus some water walking. Pretty good considering how I felt 10 days ago. This is such a journey. Support from lovely people like you continues to be such a help.

You are right: I am very lucky to have the hot tub. Last night we were sitting there, enjoying our wine, watching the steam rising through the trees, when a family of racoons wandered by. We have a small pool and our yard is obviously a watering hole for local wildlife. They just shot us a curious look, took a drink, washed their paws and went on their way. Beautiful.
 
If your surgeon has released you from precautions, go ahead and try an IT band stretch. Take it slowly though. You're already listening to your body, so I'm sure you'll be fine. An easy IT band stretch, which you can do in bed, is to lie on your non-THR side with your legs slightly bent. Then cross your THR leg in front of the other leg and let it rest on the bed. If your IT band is too tight, put a pillow under the top knee. My IT band was so tight after my THR and I used to sleep like that at night. It really helped with the early morning achiness.

Is it like this alexthecat

[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?


Hi Vida, I forgot that we'd been talking about the IT band stuff here in your very own thread... I wrote about my experiences in regard to the bursitis issue in my thread.

Onward we go, slowly but surely
Cardie
 
Almost, but with the foot of the top leg on the bed in front of the bottom leg. If the top foot and knee are resting on the mattress with the pelvis stacked, that is approximately the ROM needed for a healthy gait that doesn't irritate the IT band.
 
Hey Vicki...are you trying to make us even more envious evoking such lovely images of you and your hot tub :snork: Oh it really does sound idylic, I would love to just sit in that lovely relaxing tub when it is freezing outside ahhhhh.......

Pleased to hear you have worked an ideal exercise regime, how are you feeling this week? Sometimes we have to try different exercises just to see if we are ready for them or not.....I tried lots which weren't suitable at the time but I went back to them a few weeks later and was thrilled when I managed to do them quite easily and without discomfort.It is quite remarkable what a difference a few weeks makes in this THR recovery. Onwards and upwards.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Vida, Glad you have your meds inline along with the PT. Wish you were having an easier time, but each journey is a little different, but please don't think that you won't be able to travel. You will get better and the new hip will serve you well
 
Hey -

Just out of curiosity since you experienced Trocanteric bursitis in the past before you had a fake hip, did you ever get any PT or stretches to help deal with it?? Or was it just the offering of an injection....

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac
It was few years ago and started with a really big hit from a shopping trolley, right on the side of the hip where I had a big scar and no flesh at all because of a long ago post-surgical infection. After that happened I remember I couldn't walk further than a block and needed crutches. I sent myself to physio and she used tens and u/s. It didn't help. I was in too much pain to exercise. I had 3 cortisone shots done by my GP and one administered directly into the joint in the radiology department. I finally went to a complex hip clinic and they suggested the only thing they could do was remove the bursa. I declined. After 9 horrible months, unable to walk or work, I got a bad case of flu. Was in bed for two weeks, When I got up, I was miraculously cured. So the one thing we were never told back then was bed rest actually helped the most.
 
Well Zoinks!! It sounds like your bursitis was an acute onset kind of thing!!

I think mine developed as a reaction to the change in the angle of my trocanter from the THR and so it was more of a small and protective response -- I think that bursa are supposed to cushion and protect muscle from bone or visa versa alexthecat there is a reason for our bodies to have bursa, correct?

Well I'm glad the bed rest made yours abate. That's what Jo and the mods usually recommend when other people talk about bursitis nowadays. I just wish there were some stretches that could help to align the muscles and IT band differently so that the bursa didn't have to get inflamed and aggravated -- but that seems to be my delusional way of looking at the problem.

Hope the day went well! Did the raccoons actually come up to the hot tub to wash their paws??? :what:
Take care,
Cardie
 
I feel your pain Cardie. My current bout of bursitis is aggravated by certain PT exercises. Not by walking or cycling, which feel really good. But I can't complain, its manageable with ice and rest -- plus the pain meds are helping, nothing terribly crippling. I think bursitis has been a problem for me on and off since I was a baby. When I was a teenager my hip just sort of gave out, I never knew why. Because I was part of a large UK CDH study program, I was hospitalized and put in traction for a month to try and prevent more surgery. It worked very well and the pain disappeared. A few years later they did an osteotomy anyway to shorten my leg and stop my listing. Three months with a built up shoe, no weight bearing at all. I remember they secured it with a massive L-shaped piece of metal, which stuck out of my hip (under the skin) and clunked and moved when I moved, just horrible. I am glad that modern hip surgery has moved on. One day all this will look very primitive to doctors who presumably will be able to inject some sort of cushioning into joints to replace cartilage.

I will take a pic of my little back yard and try to post it. Its quite small and jungle-y and because of the water attracts all sorts of wildlife from squirrels to the odd coyote. At night we mostly see racoons and skunks: a baby raccoon actually snuck into the kitchen last year -- I guess it felt cornered and made quite a pong. I had to stand guard so it didn't go and stink up the rest of the house. A black bear come through last summer but its a rare siting this far from the mountains, thank goodness. The hot tub is next to the pool and the latest raccoon family to pop by were just a couple of feet away. We sat quietly while the mum supervised as the babies climbed down the steps and washed their paws. They are really cute animals but made a big mess last fall trying to get into our attic. What with raccoons chewing our roof tiles and squirrels having babies in our chimney, its is a bit like living in a wildlife park.
 
C Mac
Had 12-week physio today, all restrictions lifted but I'm never, ever to do any sitting with knees together or leg crossing. And absolutely no IT band standing stretches ever again. However, she really liked the lying down roller stretch you showed me!
 
Vida, "never, ever" is a very long time. Did she give you a reason for placing you under that restriction?
 
Vida I agree with alexthecat, never ever is along time, any explanation?
C Mac, My bursitis prior to THR never really got better without the shot, a cane and bed rest helped, but didn't remove altogether, and I couldn't afford to stay in bed indefinetly. When they did my left THR he scraped the bursas, and I presume he will do that when he does my right hip in March
 
No... I got distracted and forgot to ask... will next week. alexthecat My OS said the same two things 6 weeks ago plus never rotate the hip inward to shave the outside of my leg.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
This all seems a bit over the top for most of us, but you have considerations that most of us do not. That could make the difference in what is being restricted and for how long. I would certainly want to know the reason for saying that these are for a lifetime.
 
I have never been able to cross that leg over the other so I wasn't too bothered by any restrictions. As long as I can gently hike, kayak, snowshoe, swim and ride my bike more or less pain-free, even for just a little bit, I'll consider this (hopefully last) surgery pretty miraculous.​
​
At 12 weeks the LLD sensation is almost gone and I barely need my cane, plus the muscle pain is abating. I would like to have more ROM but have lived 60 years without it so I'm not complaining. My OS initially predicted I'd be left with some kind of limp, so I am very happy to prove him wrong about that. Plus I got a great 'plastics' job done on a formerly hideous scar, which was a surprising bonus. Sitting is still a challenge and that's what I need to work on if I am ever going to finish my writing projects but my motivation is definitely back so I will find a way. I think when I type so have never got along with voice recognition software and I find it awkward using a handheld for long periods of time. At any rate, unless next week's x-ray shows something surprising, I have finally turned the corner and consider myself very, very lucky.​
​
All my Bonesmart friends-- especially C Mac, bellaroma, Sooty, Damn!, Anniepops, nerdgrrl , bottomshollow and Josephine have both inspired and helped me more than I can possibly express. I wish I could meet you all in person and give you a hug. Thank you, thank you for sharing yourself so generously with others.​
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
Vida. Helping, supporting, and encouraging is our "thing". We have loved being able to help you move through your recovery.
 
but my motivation is definitely back so I will find a way
Man, I envy your motivation! Mine is just starting to creep back into play, but in all honesty there is a 'personal issue' that took a slight downslide while my recovery was on an uptick- I have a feeling that has more to do with my 'lack of motivation' than my hip, but I know they do feed on each other in the 'motivation' arena.

And congrats on the progress! it's funny how it just eventually starts to 'click', eh? And sorry about the 'sitting' - I have my ugly, yet comfy super-foam padded 'arthritic hip chair' I bought some time ago to help curb the pain while sitting at the computer, and have been starting to eye up my awesomely designed ergonomic (and now dusty) Herman Miller Aeron chair that I could not sit in for so long!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom