Guest viewing is limited

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vida, sorry you are recouping from going overboard still, it is like so normal. It would be hard to think of someone who didn't go wild a little when restrictions went. Hope it clears up fast
 
Davefd, be sure to let us know what your OS has to say about your numb area. As you may be able to tell, there are several of us here who would be very interested.
 
Vicki.....just wanted to pop in and say Hello officially like on your thread :)

Interesting to read that your CHD was diagnosed at 18 months, same as me. I had two unsuccesful operations to try and pull the hip into place,traction etc but unlike yourself I had no 'intrusive' surgery, no screws or chopping or drilling. Your 'manky'......lol what's Jo like....xray was interesting, gosh all those screws. You obviously have had a rotten time of it for many years then during your final THR but I love your optimism and lust for life. You will get to do all the things you dream of I am very sure of that.

Enjoy your new bike :bicycle1:

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hello everyone - thanks for all your encouragement. I am a perfect example of how weaning off pain meds too soon can sabotage your recovery. No physio for 10 days, pain in a few different spots (except where it was pre-surgery) and major depression. One big ugly vicious cycle. It took me 5 days to get back on track but I feel like a new woman... minimal discomfort, positive, exercising gently and being sociable and pleasant again with/to my very patient family and friends. If just one one person sees this and decides not to worry about 'addiction' or comparing their recovery to anyone elses, I'll be happy and it will have been worth it. This was the hardest week since my recovery began and was so unnecessary. As my work is creative and requires hours at the computer and a fog free brain I still have a way to go but for the first time in over 18 months, I can see a pinhole of light!​
 
Vida, Please remember taking medication is to be used so that you don't suffer. Please make sure you take them. I read your story and you also have had some problems. I'm so glad you came by and said "Hi". Do be careful with that hip. I hope every things is going in your favor. Please take care and stay in touch. Tashia
 
Thanks for the post Vida. I was thinking the other day i am 4 1/2 weeks post op and still taking 2- 5/325 norco a day for the little pain and discomfort i have. When i asked my OS when i should be off all pain meds he said your body will let you know when it's time, don't rush it. I still have to take my 1 aspirin a day for blood thining for another week. Happy Recovery !!!
 
Hi all. Still having a mixed bag of discomfort, so much so that I decided to stay in bed today. First time I haven't got up since the surgery, didn't sleep much and am probably still a bit blue. Sitting is still painful -- and even with 3 percocets a day I find I can't get away from the soreness, will add in some tylenol today. Have been doing nothing except ride the bike gently for a couple of 5 minute sessions a day and a little moderate walking, I see my physio on wednesday. My gait is fine when I use the cane. However, a very weird thing happened yesterday... two red parallel lines erupted just below the bottom of my scar, running down to the top of my knee. They are raised, rough and a wee bit sore to the touch but other than that, just plain odd. I have done nothing new, used no new soaps or creams -- its just so bizarre. They look like little scars just below the skin's surface. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
Vida, Please check your pain pills and see if you can take more. You are in the right place today, Do rest. If It was me I would stop the exercise until I see the doctor. You sound like you are doing a lot for the pain you are having. I will see if I can get one who knows more than I do. Josephine Jaycey I think they can help you. Please take care. Tashia :friends: :console2: :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Davefd Thanks I have been thinking its my IT band, long been an issue. Do you or does anyone else know when you can do those side stretches? After six weeks partial weight bearing my surgeon said no restrictions. A few days later my PT said I absolutely had to stick to 90 degrees and the basic restrictions for 6 more weeks because of the fracture. It confused me plus it was a little late by then but I have been playing it safe as she suggests for the last few weeks. I see the surgeon again in 2 weeks. Thanks for supporting me... I feel your pain. I believe a therapeutic glass of wine is on the cards, for me anyway. Thanks tashia and badgerfan I will embrace this cr.appy day because I know tomorrow will be better.
 
Hang in there Vida, this too shall pass....
 
That is great that you are limp-free with the cane. I know you would rather be limp-free without the cane, but that will come. The longest journey starts with the first step and you're definitely on your way.

You're smart to recognise when you need a "bed" day. You won't always need to do that, of course, but it's good to listen to get completely caught up on your rest. I bet you'll feel like a new woman tomorrow.

If your surgeon has released you from precautions, go ahead and try an IT band stretch. Take it slowly though. You're already listening to your body, so I'm sure you'll be fine. An easy IT band stretch, which you can do in bed, is to lie on your non-THR side with your legs slightly bent. Then cross your THR leg in front of the other leg and let it rest on the bed. If your IT band is too tight, put a pillow under the top knee. My IT band was so tight after my THR and I used to sleep like that at night. It really helped with the early morning achiness.
 
Hi Vida, I see you are talking about your IT band. At my first out patient PT appt. my therapist told me my IT band was tight and was causing pain from my hip to my knee. She used a device called "THE STICK" on me to loosen it up. I have since purchased one because like she told me with the 90' restriction and not being able to cross over the mid line there really isn't a good way to get it stretched. I use it faithfully 2Xday and it has seemed to really help.....
 
Hi Vida,

I see I'm late to the party and you've gotten some good suggestions on the IT band. I guess I wasn't sure where your scar was, but based on everyone else's comments I'm guessing it's on the side of your leg -- lateral approach. If you have trouble with the stretches that you read about on the forum or the one that Alex suggested you could also have someone do some massage work on your leg. Because of my CDH I was never able to effect this stretch in a way that would stretch that fibrous band...
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?

However, many years before my surgery someone taught me the foam roller stretch for my IT band and when you are a bit further along and feeling better this will be one to add to your repertoire, it's very helpful... Just don't twist at the middle like this guy, try to keep your body nice and level and hold your tummy in just a tiny bit.
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?

Do remember that your new hip is just 2 months old and if you need to take some time away from PT to allow yourself to continue to heal without additional stress, you can re-start PT later -- those folks will still be there waiting for you...:)

I hope you feel a bit better tomorrow and go easy on the therapeutic wine with percocets we don't want you to tip over.
Take care,
Cardie
 
It can be tough to get down on the floor and use a roll like that so I do what my chiropractor does which is acu-pressure. I tried this just last week when I was in a bit of a traffic jam and spent over an hour stop-starting until my IT band started up and every time I moved my foot, brother, did it let me know! So every time we stopped, I spent the time doing acu-pressure all up and down my thigh and within about 20 mins, it was sooo much better!

So what you do is this: make your hand into a tight fist and press the finger knuckles into the sorest spot. Press it as hard as you can bear and then a little bit harder. Now start working your knuckled round in small circles, up and down, side to side, anything to keep them moving. You will cry out when you do this but do it anyway. Doing it in 20-30 second periods at first and then extend. It will be interesting that slowly you will find yourself able to do it longer and longer until it's about a minute at a time. My endurance is limited by my sore shoulders but I find this is enough if I just keep doing it. After that 20 minutes of intermittent massage, the spasm was all but eliminated!
 
Great suggestions.. for now I'll try the acupressure then C Mac check with my PT about the roll, which I have somewhere in the house. Don't worry about me falling over Cardie, I won't overdo it. I really enjoy a (plastic) glass as I lounge in the hot tub and Mr.V is an exceptionally devoted caregiver. It snowed here today, the sort of sprinkle that makes walking very dodgy and limping in the dark from the back door to the tub with only flip flops and a robe somewhat challenging. But it is beautiful and always the best part of my day.
 
Hi Vida,
Finally read most of your thread. Good to have another CDH gal to talk to. I see you've had a difficult road to travel but you seem to have travelled it to the best of your ability. Glad you are slowly getting better and so jealous you don't have a LLD. Good luck with all the exercises and stretches. It is slow but as long as we do our best what more can we ask for.
Take care
Jyoti
 
Thanks Jyoti, I wonder if CDHers generally have a tougher recovery? Guess our inner bits have stifffened and atrophied from lack of use for years and years and so scream silently when we start to agitate them. I hope I'm gradually getting better, sometimes I wonder. I have stopped expecting the quick sail-through, so reality is kicking in. Great news that you are going on vacation. I will be sending you good vibes that your flight is comfy and your hip behaves. It is my biggest fear that our plans to travel a lot in our retirement will have to be curtailed beause of this, so you are truly my inspiration.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom