• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm.. personally, I would be cautious Vida, but lets see what Jo indicates :)

p.s. I am sorry that your Father is going through this :)

Hi Vida,

Fantastic on the even legs, that's great. I still have two different lengths, but I asked not to have a full correction -- thought it might be too much for the nerves and muscles to stretch it out.

If abduction was a motion that was difficult before your surgery you may notice it takes while for it to improve simply because the muscles are tight and not used to that ROM. What kinds of things are you doing to work on abduction at this early point out from surgery??

Still using the cane, right?? That helps to provide support to all those gluteus muscles that might be tender and weak from the surgery. Sorry about the cancelled trip to Argentina, I do hope you'll get it re-scheduled soon though -- or maybe a less intensive substitute.

I hope your Dad's situation improves and I'm sorry to hear that he's gotten C Diff.
Take care,
Cardie

Hello Cardie
I am doing side slides...they are not too bad. I don't go far out and prefer to do it in the pool. What really kills me are the clamshells: just way too sore to do. I do better at straight leg raises on my side. After paying attention here, I don't do much and none if it hurts. No weights ever again. Being in the pool feels good, I sit on a noodle and gently cyle, then dangle! Yes I am still on the cane, it has only been a week and I instinctively feel I'll need it for some time. I am really good at going up and down stairs correctly, no pain or weakness. When walking I really have to focus on my gait, although I have started to feel the leg 'settling.' My biggest problem is still pain after sitting . Does that eventually ease? Thanks for 'mentoring' me!​

Vida, glad you are taking it slow and steady my fracture buddy. Everything works out, it is just the time it takes that's annoying. It is good if you are not 100% in your gait, to keep using the cane. I am on 1 crutch and want to go to the cane, but then remind myself that the pain increases and my gait suffers.

bellaroma Good to hear fom you! I overdid things yesterday so I am a bad recovery example. Today really sucks..so it was a wakeup call, again. I am adding more percs but relief is elusive, as was sleep last night. When this happens I always worry that I refractured the fracture. I am sure its a normal fear. Hope you feel great over Christmas, enjoy......

Vida I think you should be cautious. Best to stay away for a while until he is recovered and then, when you do visit again, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after you visit according to this protocol.

Hi Vida,

Yes, the clam shells have been the bane of many of us here in BoneSmart land!!

You know what, if you are at all like me, prior to my surgery I had never done clamshells or much of any other type of exercise that was directed to my gluteus medius muscle in isolation, so it was not only an unfamiliar exercise but a little muscle that had been traumatized by surgery being asked to do something quite focused. As with the other movements that cause you pain, just take a break from it for a while and then give it a try in a few weeks and see if it works out better (i.e. less pain and more ease in the movement).

When you mention doing "side slides" and doing them in the pool I am thinking that you mean something like this
Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?

Which is a nice subtle movement in the water that will also target the gluteus medius muscle. When I used to do this exercise out of the water I was told by my PT that I was using my back muscles -- I was lifting my leg too far out to the side and that brought back muscles into the movement instead of just my leg muscles. So, if you do it out of the pool try to do just a small lift of your leg -- and only if it's not uncomfortable....

That's awesome that you are doing stairs so well -- strongly and correctly!! Yes, the stiffness after sitting does slowly go away. The key is to limit yourself to short periods of time sitting and then take a little walk around the house to get things moving and loosened up again. Sometimes we talk about setting a reminder timer since it's so easy to get engrossed in the computer and then you can barely move when you try to get up from the chair...

Hang on to the cane, it will be your buddy for a while and help you get your gait normalized. At one point when I didn't want the cane out of the house any longer I used a hiking pole instead, my cane was very hospital-esque and the hiking pole made me feel sporty. :heehee:

Take care and I hope you feel a bit better than your last message on Friday,
Cardie

Vida, I am having a lot of trouble with the abductor exercises as well. My PT says it is from the lateral approach to the surgery and the long period of non-wb. Clam shells make me sweat! I do them in groups of 3 and place my fingertips on the gluteus medius muscle to make sure that I am truly engaging the right muscle when doing them. I find this helps a lot.

Damn! Thanks Tammy.. its good to know it isn't just me. I just remembered that before my surgery I went to a chiropractor who did not understand my problems at all... lots of talk about a tight IT band etc. He tried to get me doing clam shells and did some manipulations that immediately made things worse. I could barely walk for six months. When I saw the OS my hip had been bone on bone for some time and was already partially dislocated. Others had told me I wasn't a good candidate for replacement because of my old hardware but he promised me a good result. When the problem has been lifelong, you get sick of docs, shots and 'nothing we can dos.' I guess I should thank the chiropractor for pushing me over the edge and braving THR. Tough as recovery is, I really like it!

C Mac Cardie, you are so thoughtful. Such great tips. I think the biggest lesson I am learning from all you wise people is to slow it down. Now that I have canceled the big trip, the pressure is off -- so I can take the tough elements of PT in my stride. I`ve also learned that if I work too hard into big pain... I will recover: if I rest and take the meds. At the time, it hurts so much that I think its all over, I`ll never walk again. Two days later, I`m back to my positive self. Definitely a mental journey as well as physical. You are an enormous help.

Seasons greetings to all of you. Your support for newbies like me is so appreciated!!

Glad I could help. Just take things slow and easy. You will get there.

Haven't posted here for a while. Feeling a bit sheepish as I got a bit cocky after my restrictions were lifted. Seemed to be doing so well then made the classic mistake of trying to wean off narcotics. My surgeon's post-op handouts mentioned that patients should be on OTC drugs after two weeks and I thought I was way behind. So I hit a major wall a week ago and am too uncomfortable to do physio this week. I called my OS and was given a new prescription... he said 'everyone is different your situation was more complex' - wish he'd said it before! But I can't blame him, I read all the stuff on this site. I cannot believe how sore I am. Have an appointment with him on Jan 29 when he's back from vacation...feel symptoms of bursitis, which I,ve had before... maybe a shot will help. Does anyone wake up at night with burning thigh? I wake from complicated dreams...usually involving my leg! I guess the pain is poking through..... I hope to get it under control now i'm back on regular oxy doses. Meanwhile I am restricting myself to walking only as per PT instructions until I see her again. Please feel free to tell me off. I just rushed out of the starting gate because I was excited at the prospeect of 'freedom.'

Being a knitter, Vida, I think being sheepish is a good quality. :)

And as to making the classic mistake of rushing off the meds too soon....there's no sense beating yourself up over it. We all do and learn and move on. You're giving yourself some down time, and there is no doubt that your body will appreciate it. This is just a minor blip in the giant scheme of things.

Not sure what you mean by "burning" thigh. Front? Side? Burn as in nerve pain? Burn as in electrical jolting pain? Burn as in hot? I had the electrical jolting pain, sort of like pins and needles but extremely intensified, and terribly disturbing. It was occasional, not every night. And it usually subsided quickly. It was around the one-two month stage, and by three months pretty much stopped. I can't remember the last time it occurred.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. But I suspect that it will subside for you once you get caught up with pain control.

Sharon

No burning thighs, but have heavy aching in the groin and some serious muscle ache in the hamstring & glute from restarting my PT regime - I don't mind it as is a 'good ache' as this is an old familiar feeling from being a former gym-rat and cyclist. Now if you aren't used to doing a serious physical routine, you could definitely describe it as a 'burning' - but it will be definitely muscular.

And rushing out the gate toward 'freedom' - somehow I can relate to that!:wink:

You only have to take a peek at my thread to know that I have had severe burning and numbness on the outside of my thigh since I woke up from surgery. Doc thinks it is now a parathesia or something like that. He is going to check into it further when I go back to see him in February.

Hi Vida,

Were you able to read Jo's thread about bursitis to see if it seems to match some of what you are experiencing? I hope you are feeling better soon, with a little rest and some meds. It's a bit of an adjustment the early months out with experimenting with activities, movements and medications as well. It's just finding your new normal, don't feel sheepish :)

Take care,
Cardie

Thanks you guys. Sharon, its like a hot cramp on the front, into the groin. Sounds similar to what you've experienced. Dave, maybe this is exactly my problem, plus Sharon's 'burn.' Tammy I have that same numbness on the outer side of my unoperated leg, but without any accompanying pain. I feel for you. This frontal thigh thing doesn't feel like nerve pain, which I've experienced before. Or the pain currently emanating from the trochanter, which I suspect is a recurrence of bursitis, only because it feels horribly familiar. I hope my fracture hasn't weakened but its more likely that its all muscular and related to stupid self-abuse in physio sessions. I have a couple of weeks to try and rest it all out before seeing my OS.

Hi Vida

I find when I have overdone things even at my stage post surgery, I will get a burning sensation in the groin of the operated leg and it usually accompanies some swelling in the area.. I haven't been able to figure mine out or how to describe it. Reading Sharon's questions, none of those fit for me... It is just a sense of burning, not hot, not red, just burning deep inside. Mine is not near the hip either.

I usually, just ice and rest it and it disappears ...

Tammy I have that same numbness on the outer side of my unoperated leg, but without any accompanying pain.

OK, this is weird- I was just noticing today that the lower outer part of my unoperated thigh was kind of numb= like I couldn't feel anything there when I went to scratch it. No pain, just couldn't feel my fingernails on the skin- didn't think too much of it til I saw this post. Just an area of maybe 3-4" diam just over the knee area. I couldn't trace back thru the whole thread here to find all the mentions of it, but I now wonder what is up, as it's not just me. I'll have to mention it to the doc next Wed.

Davefd I woke up with this numbness after surgery, there's no pain and it doesn't bother me except its an odd feeling from hip to knee. A physician friend called it meralgia parasthetica, a superficially pinched nerve, which will usually get better over time. I think its a fairly common occurence on the OR table -- see below. I think its a bigger or more complex problem if its in our operated leg on top of everything else.

ww.mdguidelines.com/meralgia-parasthetica

Vida and Davefd, that's interesting. I've had a large area of numbness on my right lateral thigh for many years. I mentioned it to my doctor way back then (20 years or so) and she couldn't find any reason for it. We both figured it was probably a pinched nerve. The numbness was disconcerting at first, but it was not painful at all, and it was just part of me. About five years ago, I was completely startled out of sleep by the burning pins and needles sensation. It was excruciating, for just a few minutes, and then subsided. It was so odd to feel sensation again. By morning, it was back to same old numb. That prickly burn would occur again occasionally, and usually at night.

Fast forward to my first hip surgery, and it intensified quite a bit during the second month of recovery, and then backed off again. I was very surprised when it resurfaced again after my other hip was done...again in the second month. And while it was still mostly in the first/right side thigh, it was occurring a little bit on the left side too.

But now, I'm back to the original status quo. Numbness on the right side, but if I press hard there's a lot of very sore tissue beneath the numbness. On the left side, there is just sore tissue, but no numbness. None of this interferes with my ability to walk normally, or to dance. If I don't press the tissue, I don't have pain.

Someone else here mentioned Meralgia Paresthetica a while back, and when I looked it up, I felt it described me perfectly. Vida, the Mayo Clinic website lists this as one of the symptoms: Less commonly, dull pain in your groin area or across your buttocks. So perhaps we do have different manifestations of the same syndrome.

At any rate, it is still very early in your recovery, and you are feeling your way to what level of activity and exercise is right for you. I do think you can look forward to lots of good changes as time goes on. Full recovery takes well upwards of a year to two.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back