Guest viewing is limited

THR Complex THR....has anyone else been through this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that sounds like a wonderful update for 12 weeks!! If you aren't bothered by the restrictions suggested that's what matters most. You might want to check through them all with the OS though vs. just going with what physio says. I got lots of little tidbits from different PT folks in hospital, in home and then one of the outpatient people -- all when my OS said that I had no restrictions.

Nice that you got a scar clean-up too!!! I had hoped for that too, until I got swayed into having anterior approach (my baby scar is on the side). Oh well...

It would be nice to meet you IRL as well -- and now if I ever get to Vancouver and pass you on the street I won't even know you're a hippy because you don't limp!!!!!!! :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Vida- sounds like a great report! I, too, am curious about the forever restrictions. Sounds like they don't rule out too much of what you want to do, so that is great.

For some reason, I missed your raccoon story earlier. The hot tub sounds heavenly! The raccoons sound so cute! We get raccoons and coyotes, too, but we don't have a pond, so they mostly just pass through. Our urban coyote population has gotten so large that we have made our cats indoor cats. I couldn't bear it if we lost one to being coyote dinner. The dog is big enough that she can be let out alone, but we try to keep close tabs on her just in case.
 
Hi Vİcki,
İ was wondering about your check up at 12 weeks? Was it today? How did it go? What did your doctor say?
Best,
Selin
 
Hi Vida, sounds like you are progressing well, how did your appointment go?
 
Hi Vicki, I too have never been able to cross operated leg over good leg but am hoping I now will be able to one day. I was another who was suprised at your lifetime restrictions, only because of what I have read on BS, seems like different OS' have different regulations post THR and others have been told it is not alwaysnecessary to follow them for life but if that doesn't bother you then all is good. Everyone is different and you have had previous surgeries so perhaps that is why.

It is great that you don't have an LLD, that's fab to hear :)

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi everyone.. thanks for caring. My OS was pretty happy with me: said my hip is stable so discharged me until my one-year anniversary in November. I specifically asked about the leg crossing C Mac Anniepops alexthecat and he said he didn't mean never in every case, just sitting on a chair and crossing the leg over. He was fine with the cross-over IT band stretch and any yoga or exercises as long as I don't do major flexion (moving the leg upwards towards the torso and/or inward rotation.) Those seem to be the only two big 'at risk of dislocation' moves for me. That makes more sense, right? I probably had drug brain back at 6 weeks and misunderstood. I am not surprised about my problems with clam shells etc. because my abductors were not in good shape prior to surgery because of previous osteotomies. He said he could see a small limp but that I'm walking better than he expected. (Crikey, IMHO unless you're an OS or a PT, you'd likely never know.) He also noted that this hardware should be with me until I 'kick the bucket,' which is not on the cards for me anytime soon as I am otherwise really healthy.
 
That's good news Vicki.
So you are without any cane or crutch now, correct?
 
sansabosa Hi Selin, that's right although I use it (the cane) if I get tired and keep it in the car, just in case. But I'd say I am 90 percent walking aid-free. I hope you do well too, you may do even better if there is no fractre and you can weight bear straight away!
 
Oh C Mac I asked him about bursitis, he said I didn't really have much of a bursa, although they do grow back, something I didn't know. He said that side of the hip pain and frontal thigh discomfort that I am occasionally felled by is related to his yanking around the musculature and will go over time. So I will just continue my policy of not doing anything that hurts and rest and ice any bit that grumbles.
 
Vide said, "So I will just continue my policy of not doing anything that hurts and rest and ice any bit that grumbles."

Sounds like a plan to me----and a very good one.
[Bonesmart.org] Complex THR....has  anyone else been through this?
 
Great report Vicki!! :thumb:

Your abductors must be in better shape than you think if you hardly have any limp that's noticeable at just 3 months out from your complicated surgery!! You are always able to continue on with those pesky clamshells -- you may even encounter them when you take a yoga class at some point in the future.

So it sounds like you don't have bursitis and that's very good!! I had also heard that the bursa can grow back after surgery -- seems logical if its role is to provide cushioning between bone and soft tissue.

Good idea to continue to take it easy and remember that you are still healing and hopefully your thigh and hip areas will feel much better in 3-6 more months.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks so much Cardie C Mac Yes, I'm pretty happy and lucky . He told the resident that my abductors were 'tenuous' pre-surgery, which sounds about right to me. Don't get me wrong, I know I still have lots of work to do. The leg doesn't quite feel like it belongs to me and tends to wave around uncontrollably if I don't concentrate. Baby steps, right?
 
That waving around will abate as your leg gets stronger and your body continues to heal and adjust from surgery -- it is still baby steps for your brand new hip...

You don't have any leg length issues, right?
Cardie
 
What great news Vida! I am so happy for you (and your new hip). Congrats on the fabulous report.
 
C Mac
Only when tired Cardie. So, I guess the answer is no. Normally I feel level and very fortunate to be so. How about you?
 
Good report! I'm glad you got the answer to the restrictions question. My OS also doesn't want extreme flexing at least for the next six months ( well next 4 months at this point). I'll have to ask about it again at my 6 month appointment.
 
C Mac Will catch up on your thread tonight. My LLD sensation comes and goes, depending on the days' activity. And on which (new) shoes I wear, so perhaps I am being a little unrealistic by claiming it is totally non-existent. But my sense is it will 'tamp down' as I do more because it has definitely done so already.My surgeon, who measured them correctly, says they are perfect. I'll take that as a compliment.

Had the last of six PT sessions today, she had halved most of them as I had not been doing that well but now I have used up all my halfs and graduated to a 4 session group program. All free ... yeah Canada! I was back on the leg press machine today ready for the group 'circuit training' that starts on Monday. It felt so good. I forgot to mention that my OS was a little put out that my PT kept restrictions in place during therapy for another six weeks after he had lifted them. (He does not practice at my local hospital which has a protocol of keeping patients on restrictions for 12 weeks after a fracture.) He's a young guy, says he tends to be less conservative and gets great results mobilizing his patients as early as possible. Communication in health care... non-existent the world over.
 
You are no kidding. I thought my doctor was fairly progressive, but I couldn't believe it when he had lifted your restrictions and no wires. I was sooo.. jealous:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom