Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selin, how lovely to hear that this surgery was a much better experience than the one 15 years ago, that sounds like it was a bit of a rough ride...not surprising you were hesitant to go through it all over again in a hurry.

Well done on your fantastic progress so far.....I just knew you were going to be a star patient :)

Take care

Ann
 
mjmrphy55
İ asked the surgeons while at the hospital when i can start going to pool. Their answer was around 3-4 weeks depending on the healing of the scar area. The scar has to be closed to prevent the risk of infection they said. My dressing check is 2 days from now. Actually there are no stiches to take out.
İndoor pool İs an excellent platform for physiotherapy.
İ rented a small residence flat for a couple of months that has an indoor pool in the building and is also next to my office building. İ wont need to drive or get into the hassle of traffic (so difficult with the taxi drivers in İStanbul) to go to work and also will be able to use the indoor pool every day without travelling. The traffic here is like Manhattan!
i am looking forward to get into the pool.
İ wonder how long it would take to star working at least 2-3 hours (mentally) per day. Any thoughts?
 
Today it was my 10th day post op. Critical date as i was allowed to go out by my OS. The weather was around 10 degree Celcius yet sunny. İt was my first time out. Lovely. We went with my husband and daughter to a restaurant by the bosphorus. The view by the bosphorus is so nice and we were able to spend around 2-3 hours outside of the house. Getting into and out of the car was not as difficult as i thought, on the contrary easier compared to my first THR. However, my husband drove the car with 30 km/hr and some of the restless drivers around were not happy at all.
 
Congratulations on your first outing, Selin! How are you feeling?
 
BionicWoman2
Hi
İ am doing fine actually. İt has been now 10 days since the operation and i went out for the first time today. İt was like being born again.
İ am walking with 1 crutch at home. İ gave my cane to my father thus dont know whether i can walk with a cane but i am hesitant to rush as i want to protect my other leg (THR 15 yrs ago) and knee (which was very painfull out of the blue before the operation)
İ can always feel a major improvement the day just after the PT session at home.
The biggest struggle for me is "managing" the time at home (if you are used to the fast pace of city liFe and working) and convincing yourself that it takes days and weeks for recovery.
İ am now a strong follower of TV series. Earphone plugged to ipad, dowload the tv series by internet... "Revenge, house of cards( love Kevin Spacey), etc. Never spent so much time with tv series before.
İ still have difficulty to concentrate on reading books. Even the newspaper until recently...
So being patient is difficult!!
 
sansabosa, yes, I'm a big reader, but I've found it difficult to concentrate on reading and I've been watching way too much TV too. How nice that you could rent an apt. near your office so you don't have to travel far. I was told 4 weeks before I could swim or bathe.
 
Yes, I'm an optometrist. (Hence the dr.). I'm going back to work a week from tomorrow with a reduced patient load for the first week or two. I take it you can work from home?
 
İ do read the emails and interfere if i see something important, but last week i tried to keep myself out of the daily routine stuff and allowed my team to ask me things that they can not solve which are critical and time bound.
At this point i can work from home but not more than an hour per day which depends on me when i feel strong.
 
Selin,

Thanks for the swimming information. I will be 4 weeks tomorrow (hard to believe I am actually saying that!!) I think I will take a dip in the pool on Tuesday and try doing a little therapy in the pool. I also am finally going to outpatient PT this week (hopefully Tuesday) so I will ask them for advice for exercises in the pool.

I have been working PT at home on the computer but I am going into work tomorrow. I can't wait???? It's been nice being home but I need to get back. My boss who is also one of my best friends has been great.

Glad you were able to get out it certainly changes your perspective.

I too had trouble reading (and I am a big reader). I have caught up on all my shows and am almost caught up on 2 series I had taped on my DVR.

I hope you continue to have a great recovery.

MJ
 
Hi Selin, your outing sounds great. It's a bit of a recovery milestone isn't it? I've just had my last outing before my op tomorrow. I picked up some things for dinner, felt like I was buying my last ever meal! :heehee: I'll be looking forward to the day when I feel up to going out for a bit.

What a good idea renting the apartment with a pool, and to be closer to work. I don't like swimming much myself, but can swim quite well, it's really a necessity here in NZ, with so much water around us. And my father is a sailing fanatic, so it was really important.

Wishing you a continued good recovery.
 
Easy does it Selin! You are doing great. But it can take 10-12 weeks before you can begin a Phased return to work. Remember - a few weeks of quality healing for a lifetime without pain!
 
Hi Selin,
When you had your first hip done did you find it took a while for the muscles and soft tissues to adapt to the change that the hardware created? Did you experience any bursitis or groin tightness from stretching and the change of the angle of the femur? Were you given physical therapy after the first surgery?

I hope you are continuing to do well AND to take it easy :thumb:
Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac

Hi Cardie,
When I had my first THR 15 years ago on my other hip, it did take a while for the muscles and soft tissues to adapt. But I think it was more related to the muscle tone getting back to normal rather than the hardware. I did not experience any bursitis or groin tightness. I was given physical therapy immediately after the surgery and I did continue for a couple of weeks or maybe months. That was my 3rd syregery on left hip (2 osteotomies @6 and 14 ) thus the 3rd incision at the same place (lateral) which means you have to work to get the muscles back to normal. My gluteus minimus muscle was the weakest one. Lying on your side and raising your leg and lying on your face down and raising your leg straight up have always been the exercises I hated since childhood but at the same time the ones that helped me to walk properly and eliminate the muscle soreness.
 
Hi Selin. I'm very envious that you went out for dinner. I'm 11 days post op today and just back from getting my wound checked. My husband drove me and asked if I wanted to stop somewhere for coffee, but I just wasn't up to it.

I also can't read books yet - I've got plenty on my Kindle but don't have the concentration. But am holding out against he lure of daytime TV as yet!

BarbaraR hope this doesn't sound too rude - but is your brain ready to return to work doing what you do? I find that when I get tired my words get confused (I asked my daughter to celebrate an envelope at the weekend, instead of sellotape).
 
Firebrand, it's a great question (not rude at all)! The answer is, it will be an adventure. I'm going back to a very reduced schedule, and I'm kind of looking forward to using my underworked brain again! Also, I've been practicing for more than 30 years, so there's a lot that's simply in my nature. However, I work with two amazing supportive ophthalmologists who will tolerate me being fuzzy--I've already discussed it with them. They've been so busy with me out; they're just happy I'm coming back!
 
Hi Selin, sounds like you are progressing well. I'm checking my Email from work also, and commenting when it seems appropriate to do so. Maybe it's making me feel I have a say in things even if I'm not there. Funny thing is when there is a crisis (there is always crisis in advertising) I can comment and then let it go. Thinking "I'm glad I'm not there to deal with that"

I'm also amusing myself with downloaded TV on my iPad. I'd like to read, but that isn't happening right now. Your city sounds lovely, I have seen programs like Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, when they have visited Istanbul. Such an amazing city. Take care and enjoy your time off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom