Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Drbabs
How are you progressing?
You are 1 week ahead of me. Do you have buttock soreness?
 
Fantastic progress Selin, glad to hear you are doing so well.
 
sansabosa, hi Selin, thanks for asking. I have to say that I'm having a 1 step backwards day today. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain-- that was the first time that happened-- and I'm kind of achy all over the leg. And I'm constipated again, which makes me not feel great. Sorry to dump on you. On balance, I'm walking well and doing well; I'm just having one of those days today. I don't have buttock soreness because my incision is in the front of my thigh-- I had anterior approach. Just general achiness. Icing helps, as does moving around. Thanks for reaching out. XO
 
Selin,

Glad you are progressing so well. Keep up the icing...it was the best thing I did!!

MJ
 
Today it post op day 7.
İts 1 week already!
Time has passed quicker than i had expected. To some extent due to the narcotic analgesics, i slept 2/3 of 24 hours.
İ remember when i was a little kid, at the age of 6 or 7, i was casted in plaster like a frog up to my chest for a couple of months (1968!!!)..technology improved with time, and post op recovery in orthopedics has improved incredibly.
Since my operation on he 20th of February, every day was an excitement for me with the small "gifts" of improvement like " oh, i was able to take a shower", or "i was able to walk with 1 crutch as a test drive" etc...
İ am grateful to the OS and to all of you whose hearts and minds were with me, before, during and after my surgery. By he way the most difficult part was to take the decision, the date of op and the last couple of days before the operation, to wait for it.

Todays progress is as follows:
i was able to walk for a longer distance (time increased to 10-15 min from 5:-) and had more walking sessions today. When İ recall that i was nearly about to faint trying to stick to the crutches on post op day 1 and later the same day had blood transfusion, its a geat progress, thanks to god.
İ was able to dress up (which is important as well) and spent 1/2 hour for business. My finance manager came over for some signatures, its salary payment time-:)
More important of all, the PT session today knocked me out, not because of any pain on my hip, but because of the sweat and effort that i put with all my body. After the PT session, i felt as if i was finishing a workout session at the gym. The physioterapist lady is a petite sized young lady but she knows the techniques! Anyway, my hip was not able to do some movements for years because of the osteotomy, i was amazed how i could do some exercises, though not easy at first, but the stretching exercises helped enormously.
İce application helped a lot and swelling decreased significantly.
So happy that i decided to have my operation with the support of hippies at this platform. İ should have had it months earlier!
İ will post m progress every week from now on.
Cheers
Selin
 
Selin, posting weekly progress is a great way to keep track of your progress, and to keep the daily fluctuations in perspective. You sound terrific and right on target. So glad for you.

Sharon
 
Thank you sharonslp

İ feel that i need to give back the support i took from all of you, especially for the new comers. :)
 
Selin,

I have been following your story. I am so happy to see you doing so well. Like you, I made the decision to have the surgery after reading the posts here. I am still waiting for my insurance to approve, but my surgery date is March 12. I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction in December 2011, so I have tried to delay this surgery, but I can barely walk right now, so I believe its time!

I grew up in Wales, Great Britain and have been to Istanbul twice... I loved it!! I now live in the United States.

Keep that great attitude and a smile on your face!

Take care,
Valarie
 
Right on track Selin, I look forward to your next weekly update and milestone :)
 
I had the lovely frog plaster too Selin and still remember it. My poor Dad had to carry me everywhere, Lord knows how he got me up the stairs as I was age 5 so would have been quite heavy at that age and with the plaster quite difficult to manoeuver I imagine.

Great to hear you are continuing to recover nice and smoothly, that's the way to do it :) Isn't it a great feeling when you can do moves that you weren't able to do pre op.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Selin, just catching up with your thread. You are doing amzing, isn't it amazing when you can move you leg in new way or a long forgotten manner. I still look on it in wonder. You have good head on your shoulders and listeing to your body. See you when I get back from the tommorrows surgery.
 
Hi Selin,
Sounds like you are continuing to recover really well so well done.Its great to hear that you intend to post a weekly report on your progress which I will look forward to reading.
 
Just checking on you Selin. I mean, no updates for one full day, geez....lol You are the first story I saw when I came to this site so I became emotionally attached to your story and following you, and really helped me learn that I was a big baby. ;) Can't wait for the weekly update to see how you are. Enjoy your new freedom and your family
 
Hi Selin,

You are coming along so well with your new hip, it's nice to read your updates.

So, maybe when you have time you'd give us a little comparison between your first THR and now this one some 15 years later. Since you are a CDH gal did you have a longer recovery from your first surgery and did you have challenges with your body's adaptation to the new hip?

Take care,
Cardie
 
So terrific you are doing well, Selin! We are so close in surgery dates, I'm so inspired by your progress. Now what would we have done without Bonesmart? Not too well, I'm pretty sure. How often do you do in home therapy? I got the call today for them to come out and have a session on Monday or Tuesday. With all that you had to go through for most of your life with your hip, I wish you perfect healing.
 
Thanks designergirl Susan
Actually i have 3 times/week PT coming home and the rest of the time i am doing exercises by myself whenever i feel sense of pins and needles. However my exercises alone are not as agressive as the ones we do together. The day before i told my PT that she reminded me the torture scene of mel gibson in "braveheart" where they pull his legs and arms in different direction. She was kind of strecthing my operated leg (cant explain the position, was so afraid that it would harm me. Actually no pain in the joint but the muscles probably was not accustomed to certain movements for years...i was exhausted after the session but the next day i felt much better and flexible, walking better.
Thus PT helps extremely well. İn my condition, i had so many ops on each side that (although the muscles were not weak due to swimming before the op) i still need PT to recover and i take it seriously.
İ have a friend who had conjenital dislocation diagnosed in childhood. But her first operation -a couple of years ago- was BTHR at the age of 45 and she did not had any experience with hip surgery before. The 2 hips were done 5 days apart and the PT first paid a visit to her on the 6th day. Today she says that her second operated hip is stronger and more flexible compared to to first one because she started PT just after the second operation on da 6...
 
C Mac

Hi CArdie,

İ think the main difference between my 2 THR; the one 15 years ago and the one 10 days ago is related to technology and bonesmart!
With technology i mean the following: excellent pain management this time, excellent anestesia this time (epidural) and better implant this time (delta ceramic which was not available 15 years ago.
Commonality is both incisions are lateroposterior. After both surgery i had >25% of drop in my hemoglobin. İ resisted to take blood transfusion in my first operation as i already had autolog but in my second one i had the blood transfusion immediately and that helped my recovery and wellbeing immediately.
Regarding managing expectations and preparing your mind, i was much more privileged this time due to bonesmart-much more constious and aware. Pain management was much more succesful this time as well. İ do remember that i wanted to die because of pain on day 1 or 2 in my first hip replacement 15 years ago. This time i barely had pain up to the level of 2-3, most of the time it was 1 although my hip this time was much much complicated compared to the one 15 yrs ago. THe OS had to take out the plate fixed 20 years ago and the anatomy of the femur was challenging for him to insert the stem without an osteoomy.
Though i was much younger and weighed probably 30 pounds less, i think my recovery in the first 10 days was slower 15 years ago. İ think one gets stronger mentally as you get older but definitely the impact of bonesmart is significant on getting well.
 
I'm eager to do PT. I'm moving pretty well now, most of the time with the cane now, but there is a stiffness I feel in the new hip. I've actually started to lift my own leg into bed without an aide like a scarf, and I think I'm experiencing some muscle pain because of this. Perhaps they will tell me to go easy on this.

I can't wait to be cleared to get back in the pool. My gym offers aqua fitness classes which I love. I also just go there to swim on my own. It's still winter here and I find there's nothing quite as wonderful as swimming in a warm pool and looking out the window to see the snow outside. The pool was such a relief to my arthritis pain and I'm sure it will contribute greatly to my rehabilitation.
 
Susan, AKA Designergirl,

I am also looking forward to getting back in the pool. Before my surgery that was about the only exercise I good do. I teach swim to 3 and 4 year olds as well. So looking forward to getting back to that as well. I'm almost 4 weeks out so I guess my incision is "sealed" so I may try swmming this week. My follow-up appointment with my OS is not until March 14th so I don't think I need to wait that long. What do others think?

MJ
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom