Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post op 3rd week report:

Though every single day there is progress, days between week 2 and 3 had been a challenge for me, testing my patience!

The elderly in the family used to say that when you start to get bored, it means you have recovered. Well not yet! İ did get bored at home, yet i was still tired after a couple of hours dealing with business issues even from home sitting on a chair.

The good part is, you want to get more active and the truth is i am more mobile but the body reminds you tthat you still have not fully recovered and need a rest after a couple of hours of ignoring your body.

Regarding the hip, we are working with the PT who comes home 3 times a week. There is progress but i get worn out after each session. İ realized that my blood pressure goes down after some of the exercises. İ think i forget to breath during some of the difficult exercises. The best part is the following day of the PT. İ am much better.

İf i hadn't had several operations on my other hip, i probably would have started to walk without any support now. We tested that during the PT sessions without the crutch as an exercise but i still can not put my full weight on my operated hip and bring the nonoperated one in a hurry and limp. İ think i probably need some more time to be able walk without the crutch. No hurries!. However, i think i can manage with a cane now after week 3.

One interesting situation that i realized is that i felt very impatient, restless and sometimes angry this week. İ think its because of staying at home the whole week!

My intention next week, when it will be post op 4th week, is to start slowly to go to work- 2-3 hours/ day and get back to normal life slowly. Otherwise mental health will be at risk :angel:

The swelling over the hip is probably 80% gone but not totally. The incision looks ok but still is risky to enter the swimming pool for exercise.
 
Just take your time. In a short while you'll wonder what the hurry was. It sounds like your healing well and the pt is really helping. But your right, impatience makes us do more than we should and the exhausts us. 2 or 3 hours sounds good to start with, so you don't tire yourself out. X
Aud
 
Sounds like good solid progress to me, Selin. I'm seriously into the boredom thing, good thing the weather hear is still cold and snowy, it makes me happy to stay home and be cozy. I know when the weather breaks and it gets warm, I will seriously be tempted to go out and putter in the yard. I'm starting to do some work from home next week. Not much, but it will get my mind in a better place like you said. Take care.

-Susan
 
Okaaay..... err. Put a metal roof on a shed yesterday, drove my son to and from nursery.... then slept for twelve hours straight. lol. I'm trying to take it easy, but sometimes my determined side breaks out. You should have seen me try to get my op leg up a stepladder! .... It's healing nicely, just some pain in my knee and the side of my thigh, but i'm feeling good. Been out myself a few times, if someone said that last week, i'd have said.. no way.
Aud
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!
How much thought did you give to the possibility of this when putting that roof on? Glad everything went well. But please be careful, it's a little early for that kind of activity.

Audball
 
Selin,

Glad things are moving along. I went to my OS yesterday for my follow-up and everything is great. He told I could go back to the pool! That should be interesting -hahaha.

I am doing outpatient PT twice a week and trying not to overdue it which I tend to do. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down.

I guess you'll be back to work next week - take it slow and enjoy being out of the house.

Mary Jean
 
mjmrphy55
Hi Mary Jean,
Thats great news to be allowed to get into the pool. That must be around 5+ weeks i suppose. İ would love to hear from you how it impacts your welbeing and the hip muscles.
You have also recently started to get back to work, correct? Or am i confusing ou with DrBabs?
 
Audball

Hi there, you are 2 weeks post up and you put a roof on the shed???
İs that true or are you kidding?
 
designergirl

Hi Susan
İ'm so glad to hear about your progress too.
So you will be starting work from home as well. Thats cool. At least we can control the pace when we work from home, go to bed for a nap...
Have you left the cane/crutch totaly? How do you feel when you walk?
 
Glad you are doing well and will be able to control how much work you do from home. When I went back to work last time, the hardest part was maintaining focus and writing well.
 
Audball, I hope that was a joke. How can you even think of climbing up on a ladder? You need to be careful you are still in the early stages of healing and you don't want to jeopardize that.
sansabosa, you must really like your pool time. It sounds like it would be really good exercise after this kind of surgery. I may have to look into something like that too. You are doing really well in the short amount of time since your surgery, you are about a week ahead of me with a lot more internal work being done...take care.
 
sansabosa During the day around the house, it's no cane. When I'm going out to walk, I usually take it as a security thing. It's there if I get too tired from walking. That will be another big step, getting rid of it altogether.
 
When I go back to the pool in a few weeks, I most certainly will be sporting my shark bite scar. It sits right in the position below my bathing suit line, at least the suit won't irritate it. I may have some explaining to do. When I first asked the OS about the pool, he said no problem, but I worry about you getting in and out. No worries there, the pool is used for senior's hydro-therapy classes and there's nice gentle steps with a railing going in and out.
 
No...really.... put the roof on one of those tin sheds. And screwed it on. Then slept 12 hours.... Don't shout at me. Lol
 
I was VERY careful up the ladder. I went up with my good leg... then took the dodgy one. I'm just glad my right hip and knee are behaving ...or I'd be I trouble. Ha Hahahahahaha
 
sandybeach
Hi there.

Well i had so many ops througout my lifetime, i probably have developed a very "precautious" attitude and better not to take any risks.

Sometimes i become very skeptic about the severity of the exercises that the physioterapist makes me do and stopping her if she pushes me too hard.
İ am not walking long distances for instance. My biggest worry is not to hamper the other leg with 15 yr old THR and the knee. İ am still with 1 crutch and when i go out with 2 to protect myself. However i do realize that every day, there is progress in my walking and my posture.
The latin saying "primum non nocero" (first do not harm) applies to me. İ do feel that if i walk to long i start to feel a strain on my other hip Thereforei am looking forward to the pool that will protect my other hip as well while improve the muscle strenght on the operated one.
Well, one develops protective measures when you suffer during your childhood.
Having said all this, i am so happy with my recovery. For me this has been the fastest and easiest one technically and mentally (thanks to bonesmart) as well :)
İ hope you will have a smooth and satisfactory recovery as well. İ am sure that your second one will be easier for you to handle. İf only you did not need to go back to work between the 2 surgeries! Best wishes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom