Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Susan,
You made me laugh about the crisis comment :-) I feel exactly the same...I interfere to an extent and sometimes think its better that I'm not at the office.
TV programs...what a coincidence, I was watching A Bourdain's series as well the other day, about Caribbeans...I figured that there is another place that I have not visited.
 
Post op circa 2 weeks report
Today, 13th day, I went to the hospital to change the dressing. There were no stiches, the nurse just took off the cover,put on betadine and left it open. She said I could continue to take a bath without any cover now. Thanks to God.
I was tired by the time I came back home...the traffic in a big city drained me out.

I had the chance to see my OS as well for 3 minutes. Our official appointment is at week 6. I had a list of questions among which one of them was when to start working again? He said in 10 days to 2 weeks (after the 4th week), you may start like 2-3 hours and try and see if it works, adapt it to your tolerability. Similar to mjmrphy55 and BarbaraR, that would be at 4 weeks post op. The good part is I will not need to commute to work and be able to come back home if feel tired.
Regarding my question about when to start swimming again, he was more conservative and advised not before 4-5 weeks postop.
The spoiled spirit of mine could not refrain myself to ask whether I can have a swedish massage therapy and he said fine.
He diligently ordered the PT lady to work on specific muscles of mine, the lateral movement especially. How long I asked. He said as long as it is needed. It is important to build back the muscle tone and keep it strong. Yesterday PT lady said my muscle strenght was 6 if the muscle strength of a football (soccer) player is 10. Thats fine for a woman with at least 3 ops on each sides of the hip since childhood. Thus, swimming will be in my daily routine even in winter...
My other question was about taking a flight, when can I start? He said even now, up to 2-3 hours of flight max. is ok, but its early for an overseas flight of around 10-12 hours. So won't be able to visit my hippy friend at San Francisco in the next couple of weeks :) (hiphiphorray)
Oh, about driving, its the right leg, he said I could start at post op week 4 but I'm not in a hurry in this crazy city with mad taxi drivers around. Last time, 15 years ago, I started driving at week3 but it was my left leg and I was younger!
Regarding the medication, his recommendation is slowly to titrate the pain medication according to my pain treshold (similar to the recommendation here) but the only one he stressed is to comply with the blood thinner medication.
So back home, a bit tired, need to ice and lie down.
Greetings from Istanbul
Selin
 
I too monitor email from home and maek a call if important enough for work, but also try to let things go and have my team handle them. I agree that it is hard to read, TV drive me crazy but at the same time, no brain work needed. I wnet back to work after eight weeks for my left hip and am probalby looking at 5 or 6 weeks for my right hip as I need to be able to drive far and well
 
sansabosa Selin, it sounds like you are doing great! They told me I could drive at 3 weeks (tomorrow) so I'm going to practice in my development today so I can drive myself to PT tomorrow. I don't think I'm as strong as you on my right side. There's one really weak muscle-- it's weak from not being able to be used for so long because I had such limited range of motion. And my SI joint is off and my gait is weird because of all the compensating I did. I'm so glad to be able to start working on that.
 
Selin, no worries. San Francisco will be here for you whenever you're ready to make the trip (or at least, hopefully, if the San Andreas fault continues to be quiet).

I returned to work too soon, only about 5 days after the surgery. Even though I work at home, and took it slowly at first, it took a solid three weeks before I felt mentally capable of handling my work. I was just ditzy! I kept making mistakes that I almost never make. This is the first week that I feel sharp enough to tackle my usual workload. Fortunately, my group was in a slow period that coincided with my surgery and post-op, and I was able to work on a research project instead of producing mass quantities of materials as I usually do. So, my advice is to avoid overestimating the energy drain effect on your cognitive ability.

'Sounds like you have great muscularity, and what a help that is in recovery! I see everywhere on these threads how it's much harder to come back after long periods of inactivity and muscle atrophy. Swimming is a great choice, although everyone would probably run screaming from the pool at the sight of me in a swimsuit, just now.

Yay to your being able to shower! I swear, I felt like they needed to scrape barnacles off me by the third day. :)

Cheers,

HHH (Beth)
 
I'm back to work too. Not full time yet. I'm just working a few hours a day. If I get tired I just go home. And I'm late getting in since PT is in the mornings. But since my husband and I own the business and we live only 1/2 mile from work it works out really well. We've got a great crew who picks up the slack and I appreciate all of them.
 
Hi Selin... whoo hoo, you're a six! I don't think I'm much further along than you on that scale. You sound fantastic, if a bit tired. But I am so pleased that things have gone so well. Sorry you'll miss San Francisco, I keep feeling sad that I should be in Argentina right now. I probably could have made it but 6 weeks ago, when I had to decide whether or not to cancel, I just didn't feel strong enough. Better wait until we can do it justice. A couple of our Argentinian friends are coming to stay with us next week, which will help cheer me up, but it isn't the same as spending a month in the sun. Plus I'll have to cook a few meals and I never cook when we are down there. Have a great week, good luck with the PT, don't let anyone hurt you! Vicki
 
Vida
Hi Vicki,
I'm so glad that you can accomodate your friends and cooking for them, great! That is so difficult for me.
I have been so much focused on my surgery lately and forgot to ask you about your recovery. You had 12 weeks of limited weight bearing. How are you now?
Its a pity that you cancelled your trip to Argentina. (-:
take care
selin
 
Sansabosa, I have to ask you about your upper case İ letter. How come it has that dot on the top? Is that part of Turkish alphabet?
 
Actually, I was full weight-bearing after 6 weeks, so was luckier than many people here who experience fractures. I am doing very well thanks -- its now 17 weeks and I only limp at the end of a long walk, maybe a couple of miles. I carry a folding stick just in case, as the last thing I want is to reverse all the hard work I've been doing to normalize my gait. I gave up physio at 12 weeks because it seemed to be doing more harm than good. I have had lots of good advice from others here on how to drop the penguin waddle and it is working really well for me. I still have limited ROM but I am back in heeled boots (it actually feels better to have some height) and doing regular stretching to see if I can gradually improve things. Next week I see my OS about the knee on the non-operated leg, hopefully a cortisone shot will reduce the swelling, clunking and pain. I don't feel it's bad enough for a TKR but it is stopping me exercising my new hip as much as I'd like. My only complaint is a few minutes of discomfort when I stand from sitting but I know its normal and will recede in time. Even if it doesn't, I am very pleased with my THR and so thankful that I found a surgeon who felt confident that he could fix me and when things did not go as planned was able to change course mid-stream and still get a great result. If my metal-filled femur can survive this surgery, I reckon anyone can!
 
Sansabosa, I have to ask you about your upper case İ letter. How come it has that dot on the top? Is that part of Turkish alphabet?
Hi Jo,
Yes, its the Turkish alphabet. I can control it when I write on my laptop but not with the mobile devices.
How can we correct it?
 
Vida
Hi Vicki,
I hope your knee on the nonoperated leg doesn't get worse. I also had moderate pain at my knee on the nonoperated leg until the operation. It started a year ago and probably the cycling at the gym trigerred it. The surgeon made glucosamin (hyalorunic acid) injection on my knee during the THR surgery 2 weeks ago. The pain disseapered totally but it still reminds itself with some of the exercises ı do during the physio, thus I try to prevent some exercises. My biggest challenge is to loose the excess weight. At the age of 50, it gets more difficult to loose weight esp with limited mobility.Thus looking forward to get into the pool. I tried the AlterG (treadmill without the gravity effect) device that Puddin was mentioning in one of her posts as a physio exercise but the pants did not pass above my knee levels due to my current size in my hips. I hope you dont have excess weight issues.
By the way, I've been wearing MBT shoes before the surgery. It is promoted to prevent stress on the joints of the knees, hip and back. I think they really worked on me.
 
hiphiphorray
Hi Dear
How are you progressing? You are about 4-5 weeks post op. How is the tiredness, energy drain, focusing capacity and the pain without medication if you left them all?
 
post op between 2-3 weeks report

Yesterday, Sunday, it has been the longest time frame that I have been out of home since the operation. It was a beautiful sunny day in Istanbul and my husband dedicated his whole day to me. He first took me out for a breakfast by the sea side on the Bosphorus. Then took me to a massage therapy which was great. I was hesitant how I could turn pn my back but managed the way the PT taught me...Later we visited my parents who were so happy to see me around. I tried the cane that my father has at home and was nearly able to walk with it. So by the time we get back home it was already 6-7 hours that I spent out of home. I was happy but felt so tired at the same time. So that was my limits at this point in time.

I still get worn out after each PT session but the progress it has on my muscles is incredible. There are some movements that I can not dare to do by myself and some stretching exercises that are incredibly hard at first.
I exercised to walk side by side as well as straight without any crutches today which was difficult at first but with a gait. Icing immediately after the PT is indispensible. I still have concerns whether the PT forces me too much. I am worn out after each session but at the same time the following day, I can observe the progress. We work 3 times a week with the PT and the rest of the time I do the basic exercises by myself without pushing myself too hard.

Alhtough I read my emails for 1-2 hours from home, I still dont feel ready mentally to engage or interfere fully. but it has gotten much better to concentrate.
 
Sounds like you had a lovely day out yesterday. I just went for a small walk along the drive to the street. It's another gorgeous summer day here, beautiful blue sunny skies.

Best wishes, Selin, you are an inspiration. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Selin, just been catching up on you, seems like you are doing great. Your very long day out sounds like it was wonderful, breakfast by the sea and then a massage, what more could you ask for eh.

Sometimes the PT is quite exhausting but as you say, it is a good feeling when you can feel the benefit. We just have to continue doing as much as we feel comfortable doing then we will be okay :)

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom