Revision THR Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends Hi,

İts now the end of post op day 2.

Today was much better than yesterday!
İ was able to walk, and the more i walked the better i felt. 1 unit blood transfusion yesterday helped me to get up today. İ was pale and had neausea and fainting sense with only 3 steps yesterday, but changed very rapidly to normal. Hemoglobin level increased back to normal level...

Some good news: İ was able to turn on my side, of course with the supervision of the PT and a king size pillow -which i brought from home - in between my legs. İt was not as difficult as i was worried about...

İ am also allowed to take a shower which i postponed it towards the end of the day since i had so many visitors during the day. By the way the İv pain killers or overall the operation itself drains out the energy and you want to sleep! But such a dilemna with the visitors, you cant tell them to leave because you want to sleep)))

Tomorro, day 3, the surgeon told me that i can go home!

İ will continue PT at home 3x per week and the rest of the time by myself. For long years i had a limp and i want a professional to correct my walking as i learn it from scratch again.

So far so good.
 
You are doing great! Except for telling the visitors to go home! You need your rest my friend. The conversation can come later. Anyway - so glad you are headed home. Well done - the best is yet to come!
 
Jaycey
Oh i wish now that i should have taken the decision of having the operation months earlier and make my life as well as my family's less miserable.
İ am so gald that i popped into this website and get the encouragement from all of you. Otherwise, it would take me a couple of more months to decide...
 
Truly amazing. God's hands was all over the surgeons hand. All those complicated issues and on the third day you are walking out of the hospital. Wow. Can't wait to see how rehab goes for you. With your spirit, I'm sure it will go very well.
 
Hi Sanabosa,
Gosh you are doing well ! You must feel a lot better after your transfusion and it must be bliss taking a shower and being able to lie on your side. I will have to sleep on my back for 6 weeks which will be difficult as I only ever sleep on my back.its great news that you are going home tomorrow but remember to restrict the time you allow for visitors as your rest is more important at this stage Regards Kim
 
Wow, I'm so impressed with you. I don't know how you could even stand visitors in the hospital, I slept all day because they kept waking me at night. I'm so happy that it's going so well for you.
 
Great news Selin.. glad you like the pillow!

I am awful, I hate hospital visitors. I told no-one except my husband and daughter when I was going in for surgery because they knew to drop in and bring me something healthy to eat. I wouldn't even let my elderly mother come because then it would be all about her!

I really advise others facing the op to nix visitors. You are sleepy, dopey and really need rest. The first couple of days are important to recoup your strength. I was in a very crowded co-ed room with four other hip/knee patients, there were no chairs for visitors and no space for them anyway. The man in the next bed had a huge family and his children and grandchildren seemed to be running around all the time. He looked exhausted. I kept my curtains closed.

Hospitals and other people's visitors can be very noisy. I suggest everyone going for surgery remember to pack a sleep mask and ear plugs!!!
 
Selin,

Glad you are doing so well after your surgery. I am still sleeping on my back and am afraid to sleep on my side also. I worry about dislocating it!! Since I had an anterior approach I only had two restrictions - not to lift my leg behind me and not to turn it to the outside. I was sleeping with my leg flopped down before surgery and now I can't do that (yet)! I guess you'll be home tomorrow - good luck. I hope you continue to recover well!! :SUNsmile:
 
Glad to hear your surgery went so well. Sounds like you had a lot to overcome and you have done wonderfully! Enjoy being home and feeling better every day. I certainly understand wishing you had made the decision earlier. Before I had my first surgery I thought I would wait until retirement. Boy would that have been a mistake!
 
Hi Selin,

Welcome to the other side!!!:) How wonderful that you didn't have an osteotomy or the trocanteric issues that we'd been talking about. Did your OS actually get all the other hardware out?? How's your scar, did they make it tidy too?

It sounds like you are recuperating at an amazing speed with plenty of walking about, trying out the stairs, showering and rolling around in your bed -- amazing!! Take it nice and slow when you get home -- really nice and slow. Are you going home on a walker or crutches? Have all the loose rugs or other items that might catch you up while you are moving around at home moved out of the way?

Fantastic that you'll have some PT at home, I hope that will be easy and nice for you.

It's so nice to know that all is going well and that your blood transfusion perked you right up. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Oh i wish now that i should have taken the decision of having the operation months earlier and make my life as well as my family's less miserable.

I think most of us felt the same post-op. It just so hard to imagine the change that takes place once everything is done and dusted. Yes you are tired - but that horrid bone on bone pain is gone!

Safe journey home! Don't forget our mantra:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
 
Wow Selin, I can't believe you have been on your side already..I couldn't have managed to get onto my side for months even if I had been allowed to. Do you have restrictions? You are doing amazingly well, it will be lovely for you to get home, just remember to take it nice and easy, no jogging for you yet girl :)

I too am pleased you found BS and were able to make the move to get your surgery earlier. I am so happy for you.xxx
 
Hi,
Today is the end of post op day 3.
İ am at home. :)
Todays anxiety was to tell my parents that i had the operation. İ invited them over to a coffee, and they saw me with the special socks and crutches, with a smiling face...thus relieved. That mission was accomplished as well. While they were still sitting, i went to my bed and slept.

İn the morning my OS came to visit me before discharge and made me walk with 1 crutch for 2-3 steps. İ was like the Piza tower, he said it is normal, to protect the operated hip. However, due to my problems on the other leg he did recommend to use 2 crutches for about 3 weeks for me. There was another THR patient he operated on the same day as mine (male) and he left the hospital with 1 one crutch today.

The PT will come home 3 times a week and my first visit to the OS is 2 weeks post op.

İ am taking slowly and surely.

By the way, post op blues is a reality ! İ suddenly find myself crying with no reason and back to normal in seconds? Really absurd. İ feel sorry for my husband)))
 
My prostheses is delta ceramic by Smith & Nephew and the stem applied was cementless.
The incision is lateral and to my surprise not very long.
The assistant to the OS mentioned they took off the plate easily and could still see the brand name on it?!
İ have 2 major limitation: the 90 degree rule and not crossing the legs or interior rotation.
 
By the way i am turning on my side only with the supervision of the PT at this point as there are some exercises to be done with your face down( the hemstrings)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!
Selin, happy to see you're home. What a unique way to let your parents know you had surgery and keep them from worrying by seeing you at home, looking well, and smiling. Very clever of you. Just follow the mantra and in a few days most of the blues should be a thing of the past.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Complex hip- MİSSİON ACCOMPLİSHED!
 
Selin, it sounds like you are doing great! How old are your parents? Mine are in their 80's and I've been calling them every day to reassure them that I'm ok. I've had the blues, too, and I was really glad that my sister was here on one of my really bad days so I could cry on her instead of my poor husband. I hate giving myself Lovenox shots. They hurt and I have a needle phobia. I have to make myself do it every day. It's all I can do not to cry like a baby. I'll be so glad when that part is over. I hope you continue to do well.
 
Thank you bottomshollow. İ follow the mantra very diligently.

Drbabs, hi.
My parents are 84 & 72. İts been good that they learned that i had the operation after i came home.
Regarding the prophylactic drug against deep vein trombosis, they gave me a product called Xarelto (rivaroxaban) and its once daily "orally" for 3 weeks. You may consult your doctor for an oral drug instead of Lovenox because of injection phobia. İ checked Xareolta is approved by FDA, thus i assume it must be on the market.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom