Guest viewing is limited

THR Cocoon to moth

Happy Seven Week Anniversary @Cecropia! You've come a long way and are continuing to improve. Hoping your round on the elliptical doesn't cause you too much pain. I know it probably felt fantastic! Keep pacing yourself and I think you'll be just fine!
:yahoo:
 
So nice to have your own elliptical at home, @Cecropia . I have an old Stairmaster, from 20+ years ago, which I faithfully used every other day until I retired. Then it got more occasional use, as I was at the gym more and became enamored of the elliptical (far easier on the hips!) It's gathering dust now and I need to get rid of it. But, the best thing about home exercise equipment, in my opinion, is that you can jock out in your underwear! :heehee: Gotta get dressed in something a bit more appropriate for the gym!
 
So glad to hear you are progressing and doing so many more things. It is uplifting for you I imagine and for those reading here. It is great with each day as we forge ahead things get a little brighter, a little easier and we can accomplish more and more. And you keep yourself very occupied with all the art projects and all the talents and skills you have are put to good use. I know it was a trying time because it was a trying time and you are always so supportive of everyone and it feels so nice to hear that your world is returning to normal maybe slower than we anticipated but getting there nonetheless.
 
@mikeycat
Hi. I was thinking how lucky you are that both hips are done and you are moving on, no looking back and getting rid of your reminders. I might someday need my other hip replaced, who knows. So I'm storing my things under the basement steps with a cover over it all.:shrug:
Well thanks for all the kind words.
I might be pushing a little bit, but last night I walked 1 lap at our mall. In the good days it was a 20min walk for 1 lap at a good pace.
You don't want to know how long it took me last night...with my husband walking beside me, no cane....:rotfl:
But tonight I did 1 lap again a bit faster...and I will keep pushing my walks there as I feel I need to try....
My muscles are sore after, but so far it feels good to give my legs a bit of a challenge.
I read your thread every day you are doing very well, better than very well.:yay:
 
For those who don't like TMI (too much information) should probably not read this.:heehee:
So I gained 12 pounds through this pre and post-op surgery. :shrug:.
After surgery on getting home I quit wearing underwear, mine were too tight and rather than wear boxer shorts or whatever I just stopped wearing them. My husband said "I never thought I'd see the day you did not wear underwear". :rotfl:
I finally lost 6 of the pounds, boy it sure goes on fast and comes off like a slow boat to China.
After my shower today, I tried again to reach my toes on my surgery leg.
I sat on a stool and put my foot on a chair and was able to give myself a pedicure. Put fresh polish on. :happydance:
Maybe it's the 6 lbs I lost off my belly, :heehee: or just finally stretching out.
And I fit into my own underwear and my denim shorts again. :happydance:
I had been wearing loose soft shorts from Aeropostle.
So now 6 more pounds to go....:whistle:
 
@Cecropia, I appreciate your share. So many of us (nearly all of us) have weight worries and a bad hip can be part of that. I find it helpful when someone reveals a lot, because it gives me permission to feel OK about my own struggles. I have to say: you're quite creative! Have you won any creativity awards before?

Reminds me of all that times I've gained weight, including after a period 5 years ago when my hip was really causing problems, leading to excruciating knee pain. My favorite creative adaptation was to wear a sweater (in winter) and loosen the top button on my pants and loosen the belt underneath under the cover of the sweater. Only way I could get into some of my pants. Congrats on the pedicure.
 
Oh, I really really really appreciate all the information and not because I am nosy! I have been diligently chipping away at losing weight since November and am down 20 pounds with 30 still to go - about a pound a week. I am now in my smaller size undies, but holding on to the bigger ones because post surgery swelling. I have been shuddering at the thought I might need even bigger ones! I prepared myself for the swelling/water weight gain, but even knowing it’s not the same type of weight, no one wants to go backwards.

It’s such a comfort to have these details from you! You’re helping reassure me that the water weight will resolve and maybe it will even go pretty fast (by comparison, anyway) and if I don’t fit into the “big” emergency undies, I can temporarily go commando and not worry about buying a size that will make me sad.

Thank you!
 
Great news, Cecropia. Weight loss and a fresh pedi. A pedicure was a goal of mine after THR also.
It was a bit of a struggle, but with some determination and a few time outs, I clipped and polished. It felt like such an accomplishment. It's a great feeling to manage personal grooming once again.
Have a great weekend and stay cool!
@Cecropia
 
A pedi!! Yippee! See my green face? Ha! I've got a garden party to go to on the 27th and am dying to be able to paint my toenails before then. I have managed to use toenail clippers more or less. Hopefully with another week to go I'll be able to doll myself up. I seem to recall that @ChrissyW taped her nailpolish brush to a stick so that's plan B.
Well done you!:yay:
 
So I been eyeing my elliptical for a few days and decided to give it a go. I did 15 minutes on level 1 walking.
Does your elliptical have stationary handles also or just the moving ones? Were you ok using the moving handles? I'm thinking of getting one. Our exercise bike seat is incredibly uncomfortable but I think it's good exercise at this point in our recovery. Thanks for any tips.
 
Wonderful update @Cecropia

Beautiful toes and an expanded wardrobe through successful weight loss. :wow:

Wish weight came off as fast as it went on. I wore my husbands boxer briefs after second surgery, very soft, roomy and didn’t irritate my incision. Being real helps those who are getting ready to go through this. Not advice that the OS fills us in on. LOL

Hope you have a great weekend! Impressive walk without your cane.
 
@Going4fun Hi, no creativity awards, but thank you. I just enjoy trying different crafts.
@Ptarmigan
Congratulations on your weight loss. When I was younger I could eat and eat and not gain weight. Now our metabolism slows down, can't do that. I did not think I was eating that much different, but not being able to move around or exercise, even just walking a lot, because of the painful hip before and after you don't have any way to burn the calories. I tried blaming it on the implant, but it doesn't weigh that much.:heehee:
 
@Calgal
My elliptical has handles that move. I had a nordic track that wore out finally, motor was in the back, but I had it for many years. Now last November I bought a Sole. There are so many different ones, I just finally decided to buy this one. And I did not want too fancy. I had a stationary bike, yes, the seat was uncomfortable and I really hated it anyway. I barely used it.:upright:
I gave it away... So I just like the elliptical so much better. :roseshwr:
Luckily my toenails don't grow fast like my fingernails. So my husband painted my toenails after surgery for me. So you could ask your husband....:) :-) (:Garden party sounds fun!:flwrysmile:
 
What a nice update about your weight loss and pedi!! :happydance::yay:
Now this is weird but I must say that I weighed 13 pounds more the day after my surgery!! With my last surgery it was 11 pounds more, if I recall correctly. I know it was all of the fluids they were pumping into me but seriously? How could I be so much heavier?? I did have a lot a swelling this time but still!
So, it took about 2 weeks to see my weight drop back down and am still currently about 5 pounds heavier than my weight on the morning of surgery and blaming that on my mass quantities of vanilla malts and chocolate milkshakes and other deserts. :snork:

I just wanted to mention the huge jump in weight for anyone like me who weighs in immediately after surgery. It is a real shock and a complete moral dump!! The swelling made wearing underwear a ridiculous endeavor so I used my skorts, they don't bother my anterior incision, either.
Isn't it great to have the ability now to walk more and up our exercise? That will help immensely in the coming weeks/months.
Your post about your diligence will hopefully motivate me to start cutting back on the sweets, it's been the strangest craving.. a very demanding one.:holysheep:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom