TKR Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations

I have a question about something most of you have had to deal with. What do you use to protect your knee scar from rubbing on your pants during cold weather? I haven't had to deal with it much here in Florida but it's finally getting cold enough to wear pants a lot and I'm tired of the rubbing of the fabric on my knee. My scar is over 3 months old but still sensitive to rubbing.

I looked up "knee sleeve" on Amazon and they all seemed to be compression sleeves - that doesn't sound like something I'd want on my tender scar. So what do you people in the Cold Country do? Tape gauze around it? Or something else?
 
I wore soft stretchy sweatpants/pj pants for nearly 5 months, not only because of scar sensitivity, but also because my knee was still swelling. They were gray or black and I wore them to work with cardigans or sweaters. At 5 months I introduced other fabrics a few days a week.
 
I wore soft stretchy sweatpants/pj pants for nearly 5 months, not only because of scar sensitivity, but also because my knee was still swelling. They were gray or black and I wore them to work with cardigans or sweaters. At 5 months I introduced other fabrics a few days a week.

That's a great idea. I work from home so I could wear something like that most of the time. Of course, then people would be right when they accuse me of working in my pajamas.... But I'm off to do some online shopping and see what I can find. Thanks!
 
I work from home so I could wear something like that most of the time. Of course, then people would be right when they accuse me of working in my pajamas...
So let them! You do what you need to do, to keep yourself and your knee comfortable.
 
@Celle, I really meant that as a joke. The first Christmas after I started working from home my mother gave me a pair of pajamas - she said I needed new "work clothes". It's been a joke ever since. But don't worry, I will do whatever makes me comfortable regardless of what other people say.
 
I found some great sweats that are stretchy with wide legs (to go over the knee) on llbean.com. They are part of their ultra soft collection, so you know what that means. I also found gray pj pants on Eddie Bauer, they are soft and stretchy as well and I bet on sale right now. I was a teacher (newly retired) wearing sweats/pj pants to school, but they were so happy to have me back they didn't care what I wore! It did spoil me!
 
...deep sigh... I finally saw the OS yesterday and he prescribed a muscle relaxer (metaxalone) for the muscle spasms that were keeping me awake at night. I took the first one last night and went to bed, extremely hopeful of finally getting a decent night's sleep without the use of any opiods. Well, that didn't work out as planned. It did help with the leg spasms but I still didn't sleep until I broke down and took a Percocet at 3:30 am. I'm quite disappointed at getting only 3 hours of sleep. Again.

Tonight's plan is to take an Ambien with the muscle relaxer and see if that helps. At least my holiday starts tomorrow so I don't have to worry about trying to work on only a couple hours of sleep.

I know sleep deprivation is a common side effect of this surgery, but I was really hoping getting the leg spasms under control would do the trick. Oh well, I'll keep trying. I do have a lot of Percocets left but I'd really like to get off of them.
 
Hi! My PT made a great suggestion- find a video of the procedure on you tube and share it with your husband [emoji3].

Actually she told me to do it for myself when I was frustrated with my recovery, but it was a great reminder of how brutal the surgery is. It helped me stop pressuring myself, and maybe it'll help your husband too.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi! My PT made a great suggestion- find a video of the procedure on you tube and share it with your husband
[Bonesmart.org] Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations
.
You can show him this, for starters:
TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos
 
You might want to try micropore paper tape. It even comes in flesh color
 
LTKR 4 Month (18 weeks) Post-Op Status Report

Time for another update and hopefully provide info for anybody wondering what to expect at this point. I can certainly understand how anybody who doesn't realize that complete recovery takes a year or so would be feeling pretty bad about now, thinking they had made a mistake and had ruined their knee forever. I am seeing progress on a month-to-month basis and I'm satisfied with where I am right now in my recovery. It's not perfect yet, but there is on-going improvement.

First of all, for Christmas I had 11 people for dinner and some of them were houseguests for a few days so I really overdid it for several days last week. For 3 or 4 days after Christmas my knee was badly swollen and I had the spasms pretty bad. But then it settled down and now it's feeling pretty good.

The spasms haven't happened much, if at all, in the last few days. No, the muscle relaxers didn't help at all with that, it seems to just be a matter of time and healing. I suspect if I overdo it again like I did at Christmas the spasms would be back, but there are no big plans until mid-March so I should be good in that regard.

Sleep is still an issue, even without the spasms. I can sleep on my side for a while, until the bursitis in my hips makes me move. I got a Fitbit for Christmas so now I can officially say I'm averaging between 3 and 4 hours of sleep a night, all broken up into chunks of 1 to 2 hours with an hour or more of wake-time between the sleep chunks. I've had exactly 1 night where I made it all the way through without taking some kind of sleep aid. I know those can be addictive so this weekend I'll try harder to get through the night without taking anything. When I have to get up and go to work, though, it's hard to avoid doing what I need to do to get some sleep. I still sleep in the recliner at least half the time, which was something I had to warn my houseguests about so they wouldn't freak out if they got up in the night and saw me lurking in the family room......

I can walk around pretty well now, although the knee and hip on my non-operated leg are also bad and will need replaced too and they cause more pain than the operated knee. What hurts more than walking, though, is standing for any length of time. I can walk for a longer period of time than I can stand still. Seems weird to me, but that's how it is. Anyway, when I concentrate on my walking I don't even limp and I look like a normal person again. Yay! However, when I've been sitting for more than a minute or two, getting up is very painful and when I'm in public I'm sure I look like I'm 104 years old since I slowly hoist myself out of my seat and then stand there for a few moments waiting to see if the leg is going to work, and then slowly hobbling to the door. After a few steps it starts working again, but those first movements are tough!

I have been icing about once a day and haven't really felt any need to do more. I probably should, though.

I get an occasional twinge of pain in the scar but rubbing a scar gel on it seems to do the trick. It's still sore and numb on the outside of the knee but that rarely bothers me. Don't ask me how it can be both numb AND sore, but it is. It's also a bit tight when I bend it but I expect that'll loosen up with time. When I left PT at 6 weeks post-op my flexion was 120 and it's still at least that, if not better. I can stretch it out flat, like when laying bed, but it's not comfortable for long like that and I end up either bending it to the side or putting a pillow under it or heading for the recliner. I'm still not doing any exercises other than normal living, but I'm starting to think I can head back to the gym pretty soon. We'll see how it feels after another week or so.

So I still have sleep issues, getting up after sitting is quite painful, and standing for any length of time is difficult. That's where I am after 4 months (18 weeks). Your mileage may vary, of course.

NOW I have to start thinking about replacing the other knee in April - which means going back to square one. That's kind of depressing, but at least I'll know that's the end of it and have a better idea of what to expect (keeping in mind that every knee is different and the second one might not go as well as the first). And at some point my hip will need replaced too, but after two TKRs that should be a walk in the park....
 
First of all, for Christmas I had 11 people for dinner and some of them were houseguests for a few days so I really overdid it for several days last week. For 3 or 4 days after Christmas my knee was badly swollen and I had the spasms pretty bad. But then it settled down and now it's feeling pretty good.
Yes, you really did overdo it at Christmas. It's a big occasion and It's hard not to follow your usual plans. Maybe another time, it would be better to say from the start that someone else can do it all, for a change? I know it sounds strange, but one of my best Christmases was the year I had my revision from a PKR to a TKR in early December. My family rallied round and did everything.

Try to spend some extra time resting, icing and elevating now, to make up for overdoing at Christmas.

When I left PT at 6 weeks post-op my flexion was 120 and it's still at least that, if not better. I can stretch it out flat, like when laying bed, but it's not comfortable for long like that and I end up either bending it to the side or putting a pillow under it or heading for the recliner. I'm still not doing any exercises other than normal living, but I'm starting to think I can head back to the gym pretty soon. We'll see how it feels after another week or so.
You're doing fine. If you decide to go back to the gym, increase your execise slowly adn back off if anything hurts your knee, either at the time, or later.
So I still have sleep issues, getting up after sitting is quite painful, and standing for any length of time is difficult.
I'm sorry you';re still not sleeping well. It should improve slowly.

Getting up after sitting and being able to stand for longer will also improve, given time.
 
Yes, you really did overdo it at Christmas. It's a big occasion and It's hard not to follow your usual plans. Maybe another time, it would be better to say from the start that someone else can do it all, for a change? I know it sounds strange, but one of my best Christmases was the year I had my revision from a PKR to a TKR in early December. My family rallied round and did everything.

...

I would dearly love to do Christmas at somebody else's house at least once, but due to my elderly parents it will continue to be at my house for the foreseeable future. This was the first Christmas in our new house and we now have an "open concept" kitchen where it's open and connected to the family room instead of being tucked away in a corner of the house like our old one. That meant everybody was standing around the kitchen talking and watching TV and it was real easy to point at somebody and say "You - do this". So I actually did do a good job of handing off tasks and it wasn't as bad as it could've been. But this year most of the family didn't arrive until shortly before dinner so I still had to do a lot beforehand. And after dinner I just sat at the counter while everybody else cleared the table, washed and dried the dishes and even put away what they could figure out a location for. They were awesome. And dear hubby did most of the work taking down the decorations a few days later, just like he did most of the work putting them up. So I really did get off easy this year, it just doesn't take much for the knee to swell up and start complaining!

Anyway, everything is improving with time and I'm confident I'll be in good shape when I go on a Caribbean cruise with the family in March. Except for the fact that our cabins are in the back of the ship and I'll have to walk a bit more than usual, the only activity I plan to do is snorkeling and that shouldn't hurt my knee at all (although the thought of climbing the ladder back into the boat does worry me a little - nothing a nice umbrella drink won't fix though).
 
I hosted Christmas Eve dinner about a month after my infection surgery/2months after TKR. I put together one dish a day a few days before the 24th, so all I had to do was throw things in the oven. Someone else did the shopping which included chinette dinner plates. We said grace, I sat down while everyone took care of themselves and cleaned up afterwards. On Christmas Day I had dinner in my mother's recliner just off the dining room. I was so happy just to be there!
 
This recovery is such a roller coaster! A few days ago I was feeling great and had no spasms. Now the knee is swollen and painful again and - worst of all - the spasms are back!!! I was feeling so good that I made the apparent mistake of walking to my mailbox which is about 600 feet away. By the time I got there the knee & hip on my non-operated side were hurting and made the walk back really painful. I keep wondering if I was walking funny because of that, and that's why the operated knee swelled up and the spasms started again. It's kind of depressing since it seems like I should be able to walk that far after 4 months. I wish I could tell if it's just my non-operated joints that are causing the problem, or if my operated knee is really not doing that well.

Icing doesn't seem to be as effective as it once was, by the way, and my knee is still warm from healing. I don't know if any of that is "normal" at this point, but that's the way it is.

Anyway, I had a few pretty good days around New Years and now it's back to swollen, sore, spasming and lack of sleep. ....deep sigh....
 
Unfortunately, your ups and downs are pretty much what most of us have and are going through. Every time I add a new activity or an extra long already activity, I pay for it for a few days with swelling and aches. It's like we've exchanged one pain for another. But, this new pain should go away eventually instead of getting worse like arthritis does.
 
Thanks for the encouragement, @sistersinhim. Sometimes I just need to hear that others are going through the same thing. Nice picture of the kitty, btw....
 
I am also at the four month mark and have been feeling down lately as it's still difficult to go from sitting to standing. And my knee is still sore. It feels like the inside area around the knee is taking a long time to recover. I have been exercising (stretches) and on my recumbent bike. I will be having a RTKR on January 31st and am discouraged with the continuing pain in the left knee. And since September my right knee has been compensating for the left knee so that knee is in constant pain now. I was thinking maybe I was alone in this and then read your post. Your experience sounds similar. It's helpful to share our experiences so we have company in the journey.
 
@CJM, I agree the best thing about this site is realizing we're not alone and what we're feeling and going through is normal. I couldn't count the number of times I've been depressed and jumped on here and started to feel better as soon as I realized it wasn't just me and it wasn't something that was going to last forever.

I'm also still having problems with standing after sitting for a little bit and still have some leg spasms in the evenings, although they aren't as bad as they were. Unfortunately I still end up taking 1 Percocet in the evening to get over the spasms but I'm hopeful I can stop doing that soon (hopefully before I run out of my current supply since I won't be able to get any more). I'm having other medical issues at the moment and just don't have the energy to deal with the spasms too. Once I get this other issue taken care of I'll make a definite effort to stop the Percocets.

It doesn't take too much activity to make it swell up again for a few days, but that seems to be getting better too. Certain motions still hurt, but for the most part it doesn't bother me much. I can now curl up in my recliner like I used to and that's a huge improvement.

I finally went back to the gym a couple of days ago after not going for about 6 weeks and now I can get all the way around on the recumbant bike, which I couldn't do the last time I was there. :yes!: Definite evidence that our knees continue to heal even if we don't do exercises!

I'm also planning on a RTKR after a family cruise in March, and expect by then (7 months post-op on the LTKR) my left knee will be very cooperative and will do it's share of the work. I'm really not looking forward to going back to square one and having to go thru all of this all over again, but at least that time I'll know it's the last time. Sometimes it seems strange to be dedicating over a year to my knees, but I'm only 60 and expect many more years of usage out of them so I suppose it's a worthwhile investment.
 
You are so right about being only 60 with a whole lot of life to still look forward to without knee pain. That's exactly what I'm thinking.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom