TKR Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations

I'm hoping this six week plan will bring you some relief. It must be very frustrating to be struggling a full year out. Please keep us posted. In the meantime know I'm sending good vibes your way!
 
I do hope you are getting a bit of relief since seeing the PA. Just knowing the implant is okay does help one's mind. I am 9 months out and still have pain standing or walking, even just 5 minutes; however, since I started back to PT this week I "think" I "might" be seeing some improvement already. My OS kept saying my leg was straight, functional, etc. (even though I knew it wasn't completely flat). You're right - I think for a lot of those OS's, if the X-rays look good, everything else should be good.
Well, PT said, let's get that leg straight first, and see what happens (Doc diagnosed me with Patellar Tendinitis and IT Band Syndrome). She is also doing deep tissue massage on the P tendon area and my IT band area at the knee where the pain is. My stretching and exercise for straightening and IT band is working.
You're doing the right thing looking for answers about the left knee. Hoping the blood work comes back good and that the exercise the PA gave you helps. It's the pits thinking you should have a fully functioning knee at this point when you don't. As Karri mentioned, there is plenty of time to get there though. I wish you well.
 
I'm halfway into the 6-week exercise and Tylenol plan my OS suggested and I do seem to be feeling a little bit better and might be having a little less pain with walking. I'm spending 5 minutes a day laying face down on the bed with my feet hanging over the edge and I must say that really makes the older knee hurt (again, the newer knee doesn't mind at all). I hope that starts getting better soon.

But that's not why I writing this update. I was also having problems with my right hip, including some serious bursitis that was keeping me from sleeping at night. I was assuming it was from not being able to walk well, but when it got to the point that I just could NOT sleep I finally made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor that I've seen for years and years (he doesn't do joint replacements so he's not the guy who replaced my knees) hoping for a steroid shot to relieve the bursitis. However, he walked in, took one look at the xrays, and announced a shot wouldn't do me any good at all because the joint is bone-on-bone. So now I need a hip replacement too.

...sigh... At least a hip replacement is a piece of cake compared to a knee replacement. But I sure am sick and tired of going to doctors. The good thing is, the doctor gave me a prescription for Tramadol to help me until I get the hip replacement.

Once again, thanks for giving me a place to vent. This whole thing is turning into a MUCH bigger deal than I expected, but I guess there's no way of knowing how our bodies are going to behave, is there?
 
I'm really sorry to hear that you now need a hip replacement as well. :console2:

Does the surgeon who did your knee replacement do hips as well? If so, it might be a good idea to consult him about getting a hip replacement, to get the ball rolling.

You could discuss it with him and set a tentative date - if you feel you can go through another surgery in the near future. You've already had two major surgeries this year, so you might feel like a little "normal" time before getting the hip done. I guess that depends on how much pain your hip gives you.
 
oh dear ~ sorry to hear that, especially the part about being in so much pain with your hip. hope you can get some relief leading up to the hip replacement.:console2:
 
I already had an appointment scheduled for November 1 with the surgeon as a follow-up on the pain I'm still having with the 13-month-old knee so I called his secretary and said I wanted to change that appointment to a hip-replacement consultation. She said it was a good thing I had the appointment already because he had a family emergency recently and had to rearrange his schedule and he has no new appointments available for quite a while.

So anyway, I'll talk to him on November 1. I'm retiring December 14 so I definitely would wait until then. I just have to decide whether to try to squeeze it in before the end of the year since I've already met my out of pocket expenses for this year, or just let is go into January and meet my OOP for next year (free medical for the rest of the year!). We'll see what he says. But that's getting into the Hip Pre-Op Forum area so I won't discuss it any more here..... :)
 
I'm sorry to hear you have a new problem. :sorry: You have a positive attitude, though, which will see you through this. Being retired will certainly allow you to have a restful recovery!
 
It's been a while since I've updated but there hasn't been anything good to say. As a reminder, I had LTKR in Sep 2016 (15 months ago), a RTKR in May 2017 (7 moths ago), and I'm scheduled for a RTHR in Jan 2018.

The left knee, my first surgery, is still hurting very badly along the outside edge of the knee when I walk or when I stand for more than 5 minutes. The hamstring in the back of the knee still hurts a bit too, but not as much since I spent time laying facedown on the bed with my feet hanging over the edge.

The right knee, my second surgery, is doing very well. It is occasionally sore, as a 7-month-old knee should be, but doesn't hurt anywhere nearly as bad as the older left knee does. It also has more ROM than the left knee.

The right hip, which will be my third surgery, hurts off and on. It's sneakier than the knees were - at least the knees were consistent with the pain where the hip will be fine and then suddenly give out in mid-stride and then hurt with every step for hours after that. The hip also makes my bursitis flare up and keeps me from sleeping on that side. As a side-sleeper that is very annoying to me.

Sleep is still hit-and-miss. I seem to do OK if I take 2 OTC painkillers (I try to cycle between Tylenol Arthritis, Aleve, and Advil) and either a melatonin or half of an Ambien. But I can't do that every night or it stops working, so I end up with a half-way decent night's sleep 3 or 4 nights a week.

So here's my plan. Since I haven't been able to walk or exercise "normally" for nearly 2 years, once I get the hip replacement done and get past the initial recovery I should be able to do better at walking and light exercising. (Yes, I will follow the BS mantras!). The hope is the left knee will start to recover once I can move normally and exercise it properly. By the time I return from a planned trip to Yellowstone in September, which will be 2 years after the surgery, if I still can't walk without pain I will contact a doctor that has a reputation for fixing "bad" knee replacements and see if he can help.

The good news is I'm retiring (today is my last day of work YAY!!!!!) so I won't be sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day any more. What made it worse is I work from home so I don't even get the benefit of walking back and forth to the car or around an office or anything like that. So I'm hoping that retirement will let me move around more and hopefully keep all the joints from stiffening up.

Anyway, that's the scoop. Best wishes to everyone for a good holiday and for speedy recovery from your various aches and pains!
 
So glad you checked in! Sorry, though, that your left knee is being such a pill and that your sleep is still off. :sorry: May your hip replacement give you back that level of activity you desire. Being physical and active really does help us retired folks!

:reindeerlights:
 
You know, in reading back through a bunch of threads it looks like most people who continue to have problems with their knees beyond the point where you would expect to see improvement are having problems with their left knee. I wonder if it has anything to do with being right- or left-handed? Maybe righthanded people are more likely to walk funny on their left leg? Probably just a coincidence....
 
Well, it was certainly MY left knee! It lagged my right knee by a couple months. However, I know why it was my left that was worse. Eleven years ago, my spinning standard poodle slammed full force into it and the inflammation destroyed most of its cartilage. Over the years, it just got worse faster. So it ended up the more damaged knee and had a harder recovery.

It probably is just a coincidence, but it does sometimes seem there are a lot of problem left knees. :chinstroke:
 
Congratulations on retirement! I’m into my 2nd year of retirement from teaching and began taking care of myself last winter. Since I began walking in small increments my TKR gives me no pain at all! I’m more active than I was when working!
 
...deep sigh... It looks like my scheduled Jan 4 hip replacement is getting postponed due to insurance issues. Long story short, I’m transitioning from employers insurance to Cobra and it takes longer than I expected. So it will get done, I just don’t know when.

It’s very depressing. I am so tired of knee and hip pain and after 2 surgeries and endless attempts at exercising and rehab I was SO looking forward to getting this hip done and hoping I could start working toward living a normal life again. Maybe even getting a good night’s sleep.......

Ok, I vented. I’ll go on reminding myself that a lot of people are a lot worse off than me. Thanks for letting me whine - I try not to burden my family with it.
 
Congrats on your retirement!! I’ll be retired 3 years on Jan. 2
Your left knee sounds exactly like my left knee - to a T. I have my 1 year post up visit a week from Thursday.
I hope you go only forward now that you’re getting all your body parts replaced :) and you’ll be retired.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom