TKR Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations

I had leg spasms as well, and my OS eventually prescribed a muscle relaxer that I only took at night, since that was typically when they occurred. I still have then every once in a while, usually when I'm having body work (knee massage) done, or at night if I've overdone that day... might be that muscle relaxers might help?

I did try the 2 Percocet last night and I think it helped a little. I still got the spasms but I didn't seem to care as much. I just laid there all relaxed and after a while I fell asleep. I did wake up about 3:30 (largely due to my cat, I think) and felt like I needed icing so I sat up for a while taking care of that (and dealing with the cat) before I went back to bed. Actually slept until 9!!!! Best sleep I've had in a long time. Don't know if it was the extra Percocet or the extra pillows but either way I'm going to do the same thing tonight. :)

Ok, I'll go against popular opinion here and say I have one if those pictured foam cushions and absolutely love it! As long as I pull it tight up to the curve of my butt, it's comfortable. ... I haven't tried the three pillows, but I'm so restless moving around in bed, that I doubt they'd stand up to the abuse I give the foam cushion.

I also tried the 3 pillows last night with mixed results. 2 pillows seemed much more comfortable than 3 - maybe my pillows are thicker than most. But it was a bit of a pain to get them situated and get the covers over them. I'm going to try the pillows for a while longer and see if I hit on a happy method, and if not then I'll order one of the foam ones and give that a shot. It's not really a waste even tho I'm 7 weeks into postop because I'm planning to do my other knee in April. :scare:
 
Just be careful when ordering the foam cushions. I did go realize when I ordered it that they actually came in different sizes. I'm 5'7" and the one that I got was too small for the length of my legs even though it said it would have been the right one for me.
 
I only use two pillows, because it is more comfortable than three and does get my leg high enough. Also, have you tried icing all night? I have done that right from the beginning, and my swelling has not been bad at all. I usually change my gel packs once during the night.
 
I'm still icing at night, though I sometimes turn off the ice machine when I get up (also due to MY cat!!) around 3- 3:30 am. I tend to swell alot during the day as I'm on my feet alot, so icing at night has been my life-saver! I also had a foam cushion that was really probably too big for me (I'm just 5' 1/2") and I now just use 2 pillows, but they can tend to fall apart in the night if the cat gets on my and I try to convince her to sleep of to the side of me.
 
LTKR 8-week Post-Op Status Report (Sorry, it's kind of long but there's lots of info)

For the benefit of those who are just starting on this TKR journey, I thought I’d summarize where I’m at now that I’m 8 weeks post-op. Just remember – you aren’t me and your knee will heal differently, so don’t compare your recovery to mine. I almost feel guilty with how well my recovery is going when I read all the stories here on BS about everybody having severe pain, infections, and all kinds of other issues. I just want people to realize that not every TKR goes badly. It’s never easy, but it’s not always a horror experience either.

A little background – I’m a 59 year old female, 5’5” and weighed 205 at time of surgery. (An unexpected benefit of the surgery – I’m now at 195 due to lack of appetite) Both of my knees have gradually gone bad over the years and both were bone-on-bone. I chickened out of doing a bilateral and decided to do my left knee first and the right one a few months later. I’m still up in the air over whether that was the right thing to do. There were pros and cons either way and I’m not about to try to talk anybody into or out of a bilateral – it’s a very personal decision.

I had total anesthesia for the surgery and didn’t have any issues at all with that. Post-op pain was reasonable and the hospital did a great job of keeping it under control with morphine the first day and then switched to 2 Percocet 5/325s every 6 hours. Spent 2 nights in the hospital during which I was dragged out of bed twice for some gentle PT and a couple of times for bathroom trips. Then the OS sent me home with prescriptions for iron supplements, stool softener, blood thinner, and Percocet 5/325 to take 1 every 4 hours. They gave me a nice ice/gel pack kit to ice the knee (I didn’t even know there were ice machines until later when I read about them here on BS, but I liked what I had and doubt I'll get a machine when I do the right knee). No external stitches or staples, just internal sutures with the incision glued shut and held with Steri-Strips and covered with a bandage. No compression stockings because my OS doesn’t believe in them. They told me to remove the bandage after a couple of days and then it was just open to the air with Steri-Strips covering it. They did give me some gauze and a tubular stocking-thingy to cover the incision if I went out, just to protect it from our germy world.

The first couple of weeks at home I was surprised at how tired I would get. Taking a shower was absolutely exhausting. We had a stool in the shower that I would sit on, and we also put a kitchen chair in the bathroom to give me someplace to sit when I wasn’t in the shower. Even after I didn’t need the chair in the shower any more, the chair in the bathroom was still great to sit down on while drying my hair and doing other things that would have meant too much standing. My blood thinner prescription required giving myself an injection in the stomach twice a day and I definitely needed to sit for that! (Just a note – the injections were almost totally painless and not at all as bad as I thought they’d be.) I also couldn’t lift my operated leg for a couple of weeks without help because the muscles were unresponsive – my PT said that was normal and it did eventually get better. I did the exercises they gave me at the hospital and for the most part didn’t have any problems with them.

I started PT about 1 week after surgery. My OS doesn’t believe in in-home PT and prefers his patients get up and move so he had me go to an outpatient PT center. That worked out fine, and I do think the moving to get in and out of the car, plus the
little bit of walking required, was good for me. The 15 minute ride in the car was painful on the back of my legs, but that got better after a couple of weeks.


I left the hospital with ROM of 5/85 and after 6 weeks of PT I was at 0/120. My PT was pretty gentle, and the only time he really hurt me was when massaging the ligaments and muscles next to the knee. He said was trying to smooth out the lumps of glue left under the scar, but luckily there weren’t many lumps and it was already pretty smooth. Once I got the ROM to 120 he announced he was done with me and released me. Frankly, I felt it was a pretty abrupt “release” with him announcing during a session that I was done and didn’t need to come back. I thought I’d have a few more weeks. I suppose his goal was me hitting 120 and after that he didn’t really care. I might look for a different PT when I do the other knee. Anyway, I still feel like I need more exercise so I’ve started going back to the gym 2 or 3 days a week and doing a couple of very gentle leg machines and mostly doing arm exercises. The farthest I’ve walked so far was one trip to the mailbox, about 600 feet each way, and it was my non-operated knee that really complained about that (remember, it’s bone-on-bone too).

I was driving at 4 weeks, but only because Hurricane Matthew created a couple of situations where DH just couldn’t do everything and I had to take care of a some things. If I didn’t have an automatic transmission, or if my surgery had been on my right knee, or if we weren’t in the middle of a potential natural disaster, I never would have attempted it. But I survived (and the hurricane missed us at the last minute) and have gradually increased my driving. My problem now is I can’t walk very far once I drive someplace, but I’m getting better at learning which stores have motorized carts and, better yet, how few places I REALLY need to go.

I went back to work at 4 weeks, but I work from home at a desk job so that wasn’t too strenuous. No driving, getting dressed up, standing for any length of time, walking to/from a parking lot, or anything like that. It’s still a little hard for me to sit in the chair for hours at a time so I get up a lot and walk around. I also suffer from lack of sleep and have been known to fall asleep during conference calls. Nobody noticed and I’m not sure that’s an entirely good thing, but that’s a different conversation……

Sleep has been a BIG issue for me. Starting around 4 weeks or so I started getting spasms in my knee at night. They were pretty violent and would throw me across the bed. I’d have to get up and prowl around looking for someplace comfortable – the couch, the recliner, the guest beds, anything that I could think of. I had been tapering off the Percocet but still took 1 before bed and another 1 when I woke up in the middle of the night. I called my OS’s office to see if they could prescribe anything for the knee spasms and their suggestion was to take 2 Percocets before bed. I was skeptical but I have to say it seems to be working – since I started doing that I have been sleeping better. I still wake up sore around 1 or 2 in the morning and have to get up for another Percocet and a few minutes of watching TV or coloring or something, but I can mostly sleep in the bed without having my knee throwing me around. Maybe it’s just waiting for the next time I really over-do it, but for now I seem to be sleeping OK and have had very few knee spasms. Still, for those of you who are getting ready to do this procedure, one piece of advice that I haven’t seen anywhere is to have something planned to entertain yourself while you’re up in the middle of the night. Personally I took up coloring and have found it very relaxing. But you’re probably going to be up a lot at night and there’s no point fretting over it – just find something to do.

Some observations regarding my current situation at 8 weeks post-op, in no particular order:
· Still hurts to stand up out of a chair. The longer I’ve been sitting the more it hurts, but if I give it a minute or two it gradually loosens up and I can walk.
· Sometimes I use the cane and sometimes I don’t. If I walk very far without it I find I start limping and then I end up with all kinds of strange pains, especially in the non-operated leg. Using the cane helps even out my stride so I don’t get all the extra pains.
· Still can’t take long car rides – a 2 hour trip to my son’s house Sunday was agony by the time I got home, even with getting out halfway through the trip and walking around. Also got my hair done last night and couldn’t sit in the salon chair for more than a half hour without getting up and walking around.
· Still icing, especially at night, but probably not doing it as much as I should due to spending most of the day sitting at a desk.
· Still taking Percocet, usually 2 before bed, another one around 1 or 2 am when I wake up, and maybe 1 more during the day if I overdo it. Averaging 3 or 4 a day. OS hasn’t said anything yet about getting off of it.
· Appetite hasn’t really recovered and I just don’t eat as much as I used to (not that that’s a bad thing).
· Occasionally still get tired during the day and have to take a break from work for 20 or 30 minutes of downtime in the recliner.

Other than that I’ve been doing absolutely great with no infection, no unbearable pain, no weird noises coming from the knee. Of course, I keep telling myself that the other knee might not go so well but it’s hard to believe it when I’m recovering so nicely from the first one. I guess we’ll see – I’m aiming to do the other knee in late March after taking the family on a cruise in mid-March. We’re also planning a long-awaited trip to Yellowstone for Sep 2017 so hopefully both knees will be up for a stroll along the boardwalks!

Overall I think I’ve done really well and consider myself one of the lucky ones. It really helps to remember this is a long process and just stay patient.

Oh – one more piece of advice for those of you who haven’t done this yet. Try to write down, or have somebody else write down, all the instructions the nurses give you at the hospital. You will think you are completely awake and aware of what’s happening but trust me – the drugs will make you totally forget. You might remember they told you something but you won’t necessarily remember what it was. My main complaint about my hospital is they didn’t give me written instructions and when I got home I didn’t remember things. Most of it my DH remembered and apparently I survived without whatever I forgot, but it was still kind of scary. Next time I’ll keep a notepad by the bed so I can write things down.

Good luck to everybody who has already come to this side of recovery and best wishes to those of you still getting ready for the journey. If you’re reading the forums here on BS you’re already doing the right thing!
 
Thank you for a very comprehensive update. It sounds as if you're doing very well. Great! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
He said was trying to smooth out the lumps of glue left under the scar, but luckily there weren’t many lumps and it was already pretty smooth.
I think your therapist was misinformed here. Glue is only used to close the skin, and not any of the underlying tissues, so there shouldn't have been any lumps of glue under the scar.
Those lumps are part of normal healing and they usually go away with time. They don't need any massage or other intervention. Nature takes care of it, without help.
 
:wowspring:Great report! I'm glad you are doing so well. It's important to hear about a good recovery.
 
LTKR 12 Week Post-Op Update

I've finally gotten to the point where I need some encouragement and/or advice because I really can't say there's been any improvement since my 8 week update. Still need 3 or 4 Percocets a day, still can't walk more than a couple of minutes, can't stand still for more than a couple of minutes, and the leg spasms that disappeared for a couple of weeks have come back worse than ever.

My PT released me at about 6 weeks post-op because I had reached 0/120 ROM and since then I've been doing exercises on my own. Maybe not enough? I don't follow a consistent routine but a couple of times a week I go to the gym and do some of the machines for arms and stomach, but most of the leg machines are still too painful so I don't do them. Then I try to do the recumbant bike but can barely get the pedal all the way around, so I end up on the treadmill at a very slow speed and stroll for 5 to 8 minutes. Most days that I don't go to the gym I do go for a short walk down the sidewalk, again maybe 5 to 8 minutes. I constantly stretch the leg while working (I work at a desk job at home) or while watching TV. I ice 2 or 3 times a day for 30 to 60 minutes, and elevate in the evenings after work. I do light housework, laundry, washing dishes, etc, but DH does the heavy stuff. This weekend I was helping with the Christmas decorating, while taking lots of rests, but I still overdid it and paid the price when I went to bed and the leg started spasming. All I can say is Thank Goodness for online shopping or nobody in my family would be getting anything this year.... :)

It just seems like at 12 weeks I should be able to cut out the Percocet and should be able to do more than 10 minutes of walking. And why are the leg spasms back? When they stopped I was soooooo happy and wanted to cry when they started up again. They're not just at night now, and can strike at any time. Oh, I think the Percocets are also starting to get to me, since I get jittery and antsy after they wear off until I take the next one - am I getting addicted? I'm not due to see the OS for another 3 weeks but I'm considering calling his office to see what they say.

Any advice or words of encouragement? I know I'm only about a fourth of the way through this, but it's getting depressing....... :bored:
 
Try cutting back th exercises now. At 3 months, you are doing enough in your ordinary life for that to be your knee exercises. You won't lose the ROM you already have.

It isn't unusual for your knee to take a break in forward progress, especially if you have gone back to work. Instead of stalling, I think of that as a time when your knee is consolidating the progress it has made. It will start to move forward again but from now on progress will be slower.
 
Before I had my surgery I regularly went to the gym, and half the time afterwards I would get spasms from the gym workout. My spasms were mostly in my feet though. Perhaps your spams could be the result of you doing too much at the gym.
 
Thanks for the encouraging words. It's just depressing to feel like I'm going backwards, with the spasms starting up again and all. I know they started up BEFORE I went back to the gym, so while it's possible that working out is causing spasms it's obviously not the only thing doing it. I think it's just general trying-to-do-too much that's causing it.

I guess I'll just take a deep breath and carry on. Maybe skip the gym for a while. and try to get through the holidays while being on my feet as little as possible.
 
How much fluid are you getting?
I'm finding water very helpful

At 7 weeks and paying attention to getting close to 2 liters a day. I'm off painkillers. Might not be typical but I see lots of people that are not drinking water.
 
I drink constantly. Mostly water, but also Diet Coke or Caffeine Free Diet Coke. The constant trips to the bathroom are my way of making sure I don't sit in the chair too long while I'm working....
 
Listen to your body, if it's hurting slow down and rewind. I went back to teaching mornings only at 12 weeks and spent most afternoons icing, elevating and resting. You're experiencing that roller coaster ride called recovery.
 
Since it's mainly spasms that are what's bothering you the most you may want to call THE OS office to see if they can order medication for it. I used Robaxin which was a prescription medication. It seemed to be the education that I took that almost more frequently than the actual pain meds I was described.
 
Hi CSLasor, I'm about a month behind you in my recovery, but I also had muscle spasms and ended up getting a prescription for a muscle relaxer, Methocarbamol, from my OS, which really helped. I took them only at night, though as that's when the spasms seemed to peak in activity. Another Bonesmartie made the observation that those are nerves reconnecting, so she chose to look at them as "hooray, things are reconnecting" moments. Hearing that changed my attitude about them, too. Mostly, they ended about a month ago, but every once in a while I'll get one, sometimes in the middle of the day now, though initially, they mostly occurred at night.

I also progressed more slowly than I wanted to/expected, still was taking pain meds at the same point you are, too, so just realize, as I think you'll hear from others, that each person has their own rate of recovery and you can't compare your own journey to others... frustrating, I know! Hang in there... and see if you can get some help for the spasms if you can....
 
I think it's just general trying-to-do-too much that's causing it.
It generally is!
I drink constantly. Mostly water, but also Diet Coke or Caffeine Free Diet Coke.
You want my advice? Do what I do which is to not touch any form of coke with a bargepole! It's a pernicious and harmful product made almost entirely of chemicals that aren't good for you. The worst of them is aspartame as canoe said here
Aspartame is a chemical. The reason I mention it is that it could be aggravating your tendency to spasms . It is causing frequent pee trips.

broken link removed: https://www.healthychoices.co.uk/aspartame.html
Aspartame is an artificial sweetener found in an ever-increasing number of foods consumed by adults and children alike. Just take a look at the labels on fizzy drinks, fruit squashes, flavoured mineral water, diet yoghurts and desserts, sugar-free chewing gum, multivitamins and table top sweeteners, to name but a few. Yet, numerous studies have shown aspartame to be one of the most dangerous food additives on the market today.

Over 75% of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are due to aspartame. Many of these reactions are very serious

There's an even bigger and scarier list broken link removed: https://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html
Not that I'm trying to put you off, of course! You can dismiss this or believe it as you choose.
But like canoe, I have felt better since I stopped consuming 6-10 cans of diet coke each day!
 
I'll add I love Diet Pepsi ( same thing) Used to be I would get a case of it for a long distance road trip.
Now I have one (8 oz --they are coming out again in reasonable sizes)once during that same 1500 mile road trip and none at home

It is a treat now. Yes its poison
 
Does anybody have a good response for a well-meaning spouse who keeps telling me my knee wouldn't bother me as much if I did more exercising? At this point he's a bigger pain than the knee is! :)

I'm almost 14 weeks post-op and while the knee is doing really well I do have the expected stiffness and soreness and sleep problems. And let's not forget the knee spasms. It is all getting gradually better and it's only when I overdo it that I really have issues. Of course, overdoing it can be something as simple as vacuuming and mopping the floor and it's hard to avoid all activity completely. Life does go on, after all. And it's the holidays - there is so much to do!

Anyway, I can't seem to find a way to tell my spouse to leave it alone. I did try going to the gym for a while after PT released me at 6 weeks, but it always hurt so bad the next day that I decided I was doing more harm than good and maybe it was too early for the gym. Bless his heart, I know he means well and really wants me to get better, but he's driving me nuts.

Thanks for letting me vent......
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom