TKR Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations

I bet with your hip and other knee pain, you're relying on the new knee more and it's not happy about it. I agree with icing it. Ice is a great pain reliever! Can you just take it easy and do nothing much for a few days? Extra rest should help all your aches and pains.

Ok, the 2nd knee was done 4 days ago and I'm home recovering. It seemed like this one hurt more afterwards than the one in September, but that might have been because I had a local anesthetic this time and it wore off faster. Anyway, I spent 2 nights in the hospital and now I'm home elevating and icing. First visit to PT is tomorrow morning and I hope I don't have to get into an argument with them over how I want to be treated.

Going to bed now to try to get some sleep. Goodnight, everyone.

I hope you have a restful night. It's your knee and your recovery. You know how to do this, stay strong for yourself.

You and your knee are the bosses! Stick to what you know is right.

No argument necessary, it's your knee and your recovery. Just say it with a smile. :yes:

I went to my first PT this morning and managed to get one of THOSE therapists. He had me literally in tears in 5 minutes. Without going into details, his expectations of the abilities of a 4 day old knee were too high, he seemed to think I was being wimpy when I refused to go up and down stairs. He told me 10 minutes of icing every 2 hours was enough and I should be exercising with gentle squats several times a day.

I'm not a confrontational type of person so I just refused any painful activities that I could see coming, but still got caught by surprise a couple of times. And now DH is rescheduling the remaining appointments that had been set up with him and getting me in with somebody else. Hopefully the same guy I had last time - my only problem with him was he released me from PT too early and I think I can convince him to keep me longer if I feel I need it.

If this is the way PT used to be done then I have no idea why so many people got TKRs. I was in total shock when I left and cried all the way home. And I am not a crier by any means.

Oh well. That won't happen again.

BTW, I didn't know if I should start a separate thread for my second surgery, but I suppose an administrator can take care of it if necessary.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience at PT, Cherie! What a bully that guy was! He needs to go on a refresher course, to learn the more modern, gentler way of rehabbing a knee.

You absolutely did the right thing in asking to see another therapist. It's your knee and nobody has the right to hurt it or over-exercise it. It needs lots of rest, ice, and elevation, and only a very little, gentle exercise.

Actually, you don't need to go to any formal PT at this stage. All the exercise your knee needs right now is walking to and from the bathroom and around the house a bit. My surgeon doesn't allow any PT until a month after a TKR and his patients all do well.

It's perfectly OK to continue with the same thread for your second knee. However, if you'd like us to change the title of your thread, to reflect both knees done, we can do that for you. Just let us know, and it will be done.

The relationship between any medical professional and their patient has to be one of trust. That includes PTs. If you don't feel that a PT respects your opinion, or if you don't respect his/hers, find another PT. I've been fortunate in finding PTs who work well with me. Sometimes that meant not going with the first PT assigned to me. The "right" one is what matters. Hold out for the right one.

I know I don't necessarily need PT, but as long as I find one that adheres to the gentle way of doing things then I'll go. Otherwise I'll have to listen to my husband complain that I'm not exercising enough. :eyebrows:

Cherie, I changed PT groups after a month and my 2nd surgery. I was much happier and better cared for at the 2nd group who listened to what my OS and I wanted.

I don't really need PT either, but my OS wants it and as long as I have the final say in what therapy I get, I can live with that! :heehee:

Men! Why do they always feel you have to 'work' a tkr! Would he exercise a newly broken bone? That's what our knees went through plus lots more!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your recovery thread so far. I very much appreciate the updates you give us along the way. I am having my first TKR in a week and will have the other knee done at some point. It helps to see how each person is handing their recovery and how encouraging everyone is along the way.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your recovery thread so far. I very much appreciate the updates you give us along the way. I am having my first TKR in a week and will have the other knee done at some point. It helps to see how each person is handing their recovery and how encouraging everyone is along the way.

Thank you so much @knit2tog, it's good to know my information is appreciated. I started doing this because there is so much about a TKR the doctors don't tell you and reading these forums really helped me understand whether the things I was experiencing was normal, how long it might last, and possible solutions. The exchange of experiences is very beneficial and I'm happy to be able to help others in their journey.

In defense of doctors and their "lack of information provided", I have to say there are so many non-life-threatening possible reactions, issues, and questions that they couldn't possibly cover them all. And I know I wouldn't remember what-all they said anyway. It's probably best if they just leave it as "call me if you have any questions".

Day 5 and I'm starting to recover physically and emotionally from the manhandling I got yesterday at therapy. I was blessed by the poop fairy so that helped make me feel better. :heehee:

Tomorrow I go back to PT and will see the therapist I had with my other knee. I know he'll just do some gentle evaluation and show me what exercises he wants me to do and then no more PT until next Tuesday. Should be a better experience than yesterday. Unfortunately since the mangling from the Bad Therapist yesterday I've started having some leg spasms again. If you read anything about my recovery from the LTKR you know those spasms absolutely drove me crazy and made me miserable. I hope they aren't starting up again, but I refuse to panic or worry about it yet. There are enough problems without looking for ones that might not show up.

BTW, I was thinking about the comments about not needing PT and I have to add that when it's done right, PT made me feel better afterwards. It was uncomfortable during the actual therapy (note there is a difference between uncomfortable and excruciating pain) but after I got home my knee and leg felt looser and moved better. I also got great feedback on my gait, how I was doing my exercises, and stuff like that. So I'd like to go and just have to make sure it's the right therapist.

I've been sleeping ok, but only in my recliner. I tried the bed for a few hours the first night I was home and just couldn't get comfortable so I moved to the recliner. I'm ok with that for now - at least I'm getting sleep! I do tend to wake up covered in sweat but I gather that's not unusual after surgery and should stop before long.

Doctor sent me home with 7.5mg Percocet and instructions to take 1or 2 every 4 to 6 hours. I started out taking 2 every 4 hours, which is what I did with the LTKR but I kept getting very itchy and vaguely naseous. Then I remembered that last time they were 5mg so taking 2 was 10mg, and now I was taking 15. That seemed a bit much so I started cutting one in half so I'm taking 11.25mg of Percocet every 4 hours at this point. Still a smidgen high but after yesterday's adventures I'd rather be a bit on the higher side than the lower. After tomorrow's PT I'll see if I can can go to either taking 11.25 every 6 hours or taking 7.5 every 4 hours. I was advised by the insurance company nurse that I should take 2 Advil every 6 hours to help with the swelling, which has been quite bad, in addition to the Percocet so I'll probably try the 7.5 option and see how that works out. Just want to back off the Percocet before too long. I know pain killers are important and don't mean I'm trying to get completely off of them yet - it's way too soon for that! But I don't need to be taking too many either. Just trying to find the right balance.....

Not much appetite yet, but that worries my husband more than it does me. He's doing an awesome job of taking care of me and I just don't know how those of you who don't have a caregiver do it. You certainly have my respect!

Oh - this time the doctor didn't use steri-strips on the incision. Just some type of clear glue that should wear off on its own. So I keep thinking how horrible it looks compared to last time, but last time it was covered for a couple of weeks. If I figure out how, I'll post a pic of it on the thread for scar pictures. It sure is good for generating sympathy from people (those few who have dared to look at it - I don't leave it uncovered in public).

For now I'm doing gentle exercises like foot pumps and butt squeezes and walking around the house when necessary. I even make it a point sometimes to go to the farthest bathroom just for a few more steps of walking. Mostly I'm resting in the recliner with my leg elevated and iced, dozing in and out, watching TV, reading, and playing on the iPad. It feels good to finally got the other one done and be headed into recovery without the thought that I would have to go through all of it again, like I did with the LTKR recovery.

Happy thoughts, fellow BSers!!! :flwrysmile:

I totally agree about good PT. Most of my sessions I've had some mild discomfort (except whe they were using estim to wake my quad - that was pain) but I've walked out feeling better than I walked in. Tired maybe, but walking better, looser, etc. And I do appreciate the advice on using a cane, some of their ideas for balance work, help with stretching my tight hip, etc. I like that after almost 5 weeks, I feel like I can relax and just trust my PTs, because I had my guard up most of this time, rightfully so based on others' experiences.

BTW, I was thinking about the comments about not needing PT and I have to add that when it's done right, PT made me feel better afterwards. It was uncomfortable during the actual therapy (note there is a difference between uncomfortable and excruciating pain) but after I got home my knee and leg felt looser and moved better. I also got great feedback on my gait, how I was doing my exercises, and stuff like that. So I'd like to go and just have to make sure it's the right therapist.
Good PT is OK, but bad PT is not. No PT at all is better than bad PT.
You know the most important thing, which is to find a good therapist. Now you've met a bad one, you definitely know the difference!

I had PT for my first knee replacement, the PKR, but it was only once every two weeks, because that was my surgeon's policy. I did find it was helpful, because I had waited too long to get that replacement and I had lost muscle strength and tone. My gait and my balancing were terrible.
I Had a shorter period of PT after my revision to a TKR, because I had gone into that surgery with my muscles and tendons in good condition.
I had no formal PT at all for my last TKR. I Just let the ordinary activities of daily life be my therapy, although I did a few heel slides now and then.
For me, the results of the last two TKRs are very similar, whether or not I went to PT. Both knees are strong and reliable, they straighten fully and bend to 125-130 degrees.

If you feel that PT helps, and it's the right sort of PT, keep going. It's an individual choice after all. I think that PT did help after my first knee replacement.

I was advised by the insurance company nurse that I should take 2 Advil every 6 hours to help with the swelling, which has been quite bad, in addition to the Percocet so I'll probably try the 7.5 option and see how that works out. Just want to back off the Percocet before too long. I know pain killers are important and don't mean I'm trying to get completely off of them yet - it's way too soon for that! But I don't need to be taking too many either. Just trying to find the right balance.....
Do make sure that your surgeon knows you are taking Advil. He needs to be aware of all the medications you take, since he is the one who will know if there are any possible problems with combining medications.

Advil (Ibuprofen) is an NSAID and those meds are not to be taken lightly. They can cause stomach bleeding and they can increase the risk of developing heart problems.
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I hope the new/old PT is as gentle as you say. Aggressive therapy at this early stage is extra awful.

I have a question. I've started having the leg spasms at night like I did with the previous TKR, and I mentioned to my OS yesterday and he prescribed Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) for it. The bottle says to take it every 8 hours. My question is, would it still be effective if I only took it at night or is it one of those medications that you have to take consistently so it builds up in your system? I'd rather only take it when I need it, but if that won't work then I'll have to take it 3 times a day like the bottle says.

Thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties