Guest viewing is limited

TKR Cherie's Post-Op TKR Questions and Observations

I take Flexeril for back spasms and only take it as I need it. It kicks in within about 20 minutes. I never used it for leg spasms, though. I bet one of the nurses will be along soon with more precise info.

Edited to add: This medication will make you drowsy! Be careful when driving if you take it during the day.
 
I take Flexeril for back spasms and only take it as I need it. It kicks in within about 20 minutes. I never used it for leg spasms, though. I bet one of the nurses will be along soon with more precise info.

Edited to add: This medication will make you drowsy! Be careful when driving if you take it during the day.

I would be thrilled if it made me drowsy! These leg spasms have kept me up for a couple of weeks now. I take 1 or 2 Percocets before bed but they just don't fix the leg problem and I hate to keep taking them just for that. If I can take the Flexeril just at night, and especially if it helps make me sleepy, then that would be wonderful.
 
Hi @cslasor, I don't think I've been on your thread before. I'm Becky and I did staged knees as well. My OS changed me from Robaxin to Flexeril to help with spasms, etc. I took it before therapy and was out cold in the car on the way home. My husband got me in the house and I slept the next 4 hours. That totally knocks me out! Strange how different meds affect people differently. I'm convinced my Percocet kept me awake at night. When I quit taking it on my first knee I started sleeping better. I hope you find the right combination.
 
You can take it only as needed. It does have a side effect of drowsiness. That doesn't mean everyone will have the same results. Let us know how it works for you.
 
Flexeril knocks me out. I toyed with taking it during my early recovery, when sleeping was more of an issue, but didn't know if I should. I was off the oxy then. But if your doc prescribed it, you're good. I hope it gives you the drowsy it gives me and some others here!:smile2:
 
Thanks for the feedback about how Flexeril knocks you out. I'm a little concerned because I know the Percocet makes it a bit hard for me to fall asleep and if I take that AND the Flexeril they will end up fighting each other and I'll be even more miserable - you know the feeling, really tired and sleepy but antsy and unable to relax and sleep (or read or watch TV or listen to music or anything else). That's the worst! So I think I'll try taking the Flexeril tonight along with 2 Extra Strength Tylenol instead of Percocet and see how that does.

Fingers crossed!!!! And welcome to my thread, Becky. I hope you found something useful or entertaining here.... :wave:
 
Time for another question - my 10-month-old left knee hurts quite a bit more than my 2-month-old right knee. It hurts along the outside edge of the knee, and it hurts whether I've been sitting, standing or walking. At least the newer knee mostly only hurts when I first get up after sitting or when I've overdone things. But the older knee just hurts - pretty much all the time. Does anybody have any ideas of why? And is this common and will probably go away? Both knees are moderately swollen, btw, and I spend most of the day sitting at a desk.

As for an update, the 2-month-old knee is doing pretty well. I only took the Flexeril for 2 nights - it made me antsy and sleeping was even worse. But for whatever reason the leg spasms have pretty much stopped anyway. Thank goodness!!!!

I'm still taking Percocet 5/325 at night when I go to bed, usually another one when I wake up around 2 am, and maybe one more at mid-day if 2 extra-strength Tylenol doesn't do the trick. I'm slowly weaning off of them but I find that if I go too long without one the pain does build up - it takes longer for the pain to build up than it used to so I consider that to be progress.

Sleep is still hit-or-miss, but I'm getting hits a bit more often. Last night was pretty bad but the 2 nights before that weren't bad at all - I snuggled down in the bed and slept several hours at a time! I can sleep on my side now and that really helps. If I can get the stray pains settled down (refer back to my comment about going too long without taking a Percocet) and if I can get my cat to leave me alone, then I think I'll be doing great as far as sleep goes. I continue to thank the Lord that I work from home and have the ability to go lay down for 15 to 30 minutes when I get really sleepy. I don't know how I would have made it this far otherwise.

I had my last PT session last week and he seemed to think it was a good time to push harder than he had before. I'm wondering if that's why my older knee is still so sore, even tho the younger knee has recovered? Anyway, now I'm on my own for exercise. So far I only go for short walks down the sidewalk (about 3 houses) before I come back, and I do some light housework around the house (laundry, dishes, dusting, bed-making, etc.). I'd like to get to the point where I can walk to the mailbox (about 7 houses) but right now the heat index is about 102 and it's just too hot. I also need to start going to the gym and doing some work on the recumbant bikes and so forth.

That's it for now. If anybody has experience or knowledge about the pain along the outside of my 10-month-old knee I'd love to hear it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My best your old knee is acting up because you have used only it for a while after having your new knee done. The Sept. knee is still healing and it had to take on all the work. Try icing and elevating it and slowing down until it calms down.
 
I found measuring my walks by how many houses worked well. When the heat gets more reasonable, you can go out and do your several house walks again. In the meantime, maybe it is a blessing in disguise that it's too hot to walk--gives the knees a little rest.
One thing I did as far as housework, is to not do all the cleaning etc. on the same day. Spread it out a bit.
 
I seem to be having trouble finding the right balance of exercise. The problem continues to be my left (older, 11-month-old) knee. Even a small amount of exercise causes that knee to swell and HURT for 3 or 4 days. By "small amount" I mean something like walking down the sidewalk for 3 houses and back, or doing 10 minutes of slowly going around on a recumbant bike with zero resistance. I read that I should be able to walk a couple of blocks by now and I just laugh 'cuz there is no way I could handle that. On Saturday I slowly vacuumed my 2000 sq ft 1-story house and cooked dinner, and on Sunday all I could do was sit my recliner with ice on my knee. It just seems like by now I should be able to vacuum and do a little cooking.

I'm resigned to that fact that it's just taking my left knee a long time to heal, especially since I also had a bad right knee that was replaced 3 months ago. So should I continue to do my little bits of exercise, wait the 3 or 4 days until it's bearable again, and then do it again? In the hopes that it will gradually take less time to recover and then I can start doing a little longer/harder exercise? I know I need to exercise but figuring out how much is enough or too much is tough.

As always, advice and encouragement is welcome!
 
I think as long as your knee is angry with you, you need to rest it. More exercise would probably make it hurt even more. Have you called your OS about it? I would think an 11 month old knee could be taking more. But, of course it had all the work when your newborn was put in. Maybe it hasn't recouped from that yet. It wouldn't hurt to see your OS.
 
Thanks, @sistersinhim. I have a follow-up appointment with OS in a few weeks and will bring it up, but I know from experience that if the implant itself is OK (meaning it's in the right position and there's no infection) he doesn't get too concerned about the side effects. I might have to go to a pain specialist or another OS if he can't help.

...sigh... The patience is just wearing thin. I actually had the "I wish I hadn't done this" thought yesterday. :umm: But then I remembered that knife-in-the-kneecap feeling I used to have and realized it was the right thing to do.
 
Even after a year I still have up and down times with my new knee. But, it's better than before the surgery and isn't that what we all want?!
 
I've been putting off doing an update for the 1-year anniversary of my first (left) TKR because I don't have much good to say. The right, 4-month-old, knee continues to do well with a little bit of expected soreness, but the left knee is just not cooperating. I can bend it to about 120 and almost straighten it to 0, but any weight-bearing activity leaves it very swollen and painful. I can't stand for more than about 5 minutes max, and walking even 3 houses down the street and back causes the painful swelling for several days.

I did see the doctor for a checkup a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't satisfactory. Those 10 minute visits just aren't long enough to really discuss things. He did Xrays and everything was fine with the implant - straight, right where it was supposed to be and all of that. We talked about the pain and swelling and he told me to not over-do any activities. So I asked what defined "over-doing it" since I couldn't even walk 3 houses down the block. His response was "Well, you should be able to do THAT" and he breezed out the door.

I've made another appointment with his PA to do nothing but talk about what to do about this knee. I just need advice on what to do or not do. Should I exercise more, even if it hurts? Is scar tissue already built up, requiring some kind of intervention to get rid of it? Should I go back to rehab? Should I spend more time sitting with it up and ice on it? Or a combination of all those things? I'm just really tired of basically being a cripple a year after the surgery, still using a cane when I go out and slowly walking around the house holding onto tables and counters to give me balance. At this point I have to say the knee was much better before surgery - at least then it didn't hurt until I walked a ways. I could've at least walked 3 houses down the street!

I think I'm also concerned that if I've done something wrong with my left knee (not enough exercise, maybe?) then I'll do the same thing with the right knee and in another 8 months it'll be in the same shape.

Anyway, that's where it stands. Or sits, in my case. I'll let you know what the PA says, if anything.
 
I'm sorry you didn't get much help about your left knee from your appointment with your surgeon. I hope you can get some more helpful advice from his PA.
Please let us know how you get on there.

Your left knee is a year old now and it does seem that it should be doing better. You should be able to do ordinary household jobs and take walks. If you don't get any satisfaction from your surgeon's PA, it could be time to look for a second opinion, from a surgeon who specializes in knee replacement revisions.

I'm not saying that you will need a revision - it's just that these surgeons see problem knees every working day and they can often spot a problem and suggest a solution that has escaped the original surgeon. You will need a surgeon who is not associated in any way, either professional or social, with your current surgeon and his practice.

I don't think you did anything wrong in the way you rehabbed your left knee, so don't go worrying about the right knee.
 
Thanks, Celle. I do know of another surgeon in Orlando that specializes in fixing problem knee replacements and if I don't get any relief soon I may schedule an appointment with him. This guy is about an hour and a half away from here so I'm pretty sure he isn't affiliate with my current doctor. I'm retiring in the middle of December and I'm kind of waiting for that before I begin another round of doctor visits and procedures that might require a couple of weeks of downtime. We'll see how the visit next week with the PA goes.

I appreciate the feedback about the exercise. It's hard not to think this is my fault somehow and that I didn't do the right things to make the knee heal correctly. Oh well. At least the right knee is doing well.
 
I often had pain when walking any distance as well as standing at 3 years post op. Like you, everything looks good on x-rays and I assumed the pain had to do with my complications as well as being over weight. I didn't even tell the dr because I wasn't entertaining the idea of a revision. But a member here who had a bilateral inspired me to try walking. It did hurt at first and I walked short distances taking a cane with me. I began just walking 10-15 minutes 2x a day and after a week I added 5 minutes to the walk. The pain became less and less, until after a month I combined the 2 walks to one. I was amazed that I can stand for much longer periods of time and walk for 50-60 minutes with no pain in my TKR. I'm not sure if the walking worked those muscles around the TKR, but I've found (even though I don't enjoy physical exercise at all) my TKR feels better when I've walked.

Of course, I'm not saying this would work for you, I'm just amazed it's worked for me. As I said earlier, I'm not someone who gets excited about exercise at all, but it's working for me.
 
Thanks for the advice, KarriB. I've always been a walker (well, until my knee cartilage decided to leave) and I've hated spending the last couple of years spending so much time just sitting, parking in handicapped spots, and using the electric carts in the grocery store. I really miss my walks, especially now when the weather is almost ready to cool down a smidgen.

Maybe all I need is to make myself walk more, but I'd like to get other possible problems ruled out too, especially since it seems to be getting worse as time goes by. I'll see what the PA says next week. Hearing about your experience is encouraging, though, and I appreciate you sharing it with me. Enjoy your walks!
 
So I went and saw my doctor's PA yesterday, who always seems to have more time to talk about things than the doctor does. Plus I was her last appointment of the day so we weren't rushed. Of course the swelling had gone down quite a bit in the day or 2 before I went - it's like taking a car to the mechanic where it refuses to make the funny noises it was making for weeks. But she could still tell that the ROM in the older knee was worse than in the newer knee, as well as being worse than it was in March before the newer knee was even done.

Since there is nothing obviously wrong in the Xrays or anything, she decided to start with the basics. She ordered some bloodwork just to rule out infection (it doesn't look or act infected but that has to be ruled out anyway), gave me some mild exercises to do along with a warning that if anything hurts to NOT DO IT and wait a week and try again. And she suggested Tylenol Arthritis, which is 650mg as opposed to the 500mg in Tylenol Extra Strength. Yes, I know to be careful not to take too much Tylenol but I only take it at night to help me sleep. She wanted to prescribe meloxicam for the inflammation, but I've had that before and although it worked GREAT it also drove my blood pressure up and my primary doctor told me not to take it. So since the swelling seems to be slowly going down on it's own we decided to skip the anti-inflammatories for now.

We're going to try this for 6 weeks and then I'll go back. I'm not sure what the next step would be if I'm still having issues. Maybe MUA. I'll worry about that if it gets brought up. In the meantime I'm going to try to do the exercises and hope my knee is just finally at a better place than it has been before.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom