Lounge Doctor

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

HandyWOMAN

Country
United States United States
I had mine sling off, til I would feel an ache, then put back on, as I figured it was telling me, stressing it too long. But had it off a lot at computer stretched out flat but supported when I could too. When out & about, I used mine as my purse. Kept my wallet & keys in it. Take it one step at a time, but sounds good.

SaraK

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Celle - great news! You're doing so well. I'm also challenged in the patience dept so I know exactly what you mean about forcing yourself to go slowly. You might consider continuing to use the sling at night for a bit. It can keep you from rolling on that side or moving your arm in a way that would cause pain.

@tazzy13 tip is a good one - kind of like using a cane in crowd after knee or hip surgery.

Like @HandyWOMAN said - if you start feeling any ache or pain or just feel some weakness or trembling, put the sling on to give the muscles a break. Kind of like when weaning off the cane and use it again for a bit if it knee or hip gets tired and you start limping. Otherwise, tired muscles allow other muscles to take over and you can develop bad coping habits.

OP
OP
Celle

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Weaning out of the sling now. I have been undoing the supporting strap - the one that goes over the opposite shoulder - but keeping my arm in the rest of the sling, to remind me not to try doing too much. That seems to be working well.

When sitting at the table for meals, I have been starting to use my left arm and it's much easier than eating one-handed. I still need my meat cut up for me.

I'm still sleeping in the recliner and, with the recliner arm and a cushion preventing my arm from going into the wrong position, I slept with the sling undone last night, which was much more comfortable.

I'm hoping to be told I can lose the sling when I see my surgeon next Monday for my 6-week appointment, even though the 6 weeks won't be up until Thursday next week.

SaraK

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow! Has it really been 5 weeks already!?! From all you've said, you're doing so well (and not pushing things too hard, which can be the hard part). Keep on being the star patient!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You seem to be doing well! Best wishes for your appointment next Monday, Celle. I hope you get the okay to ditch the sling. :fingersx:
Have a nice evening! :)

OP
OP
Celle

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I had a good shoulder checkup today and I am allowed to ditch the sling, except for when my shoulder needs a rest.

I'm not allowed to reach out to my side at full arm's length yet, nor behind my back. Not much chance of me doing those things, because doing so still hurts.

Weight restrictions on what I can lift with my left hand - nothing heavier than a cup of coffee for 3 months and then nothing heavier than 5 Kg for the rest of my life.

They would prefer me to not drive for another week, and then only an automatic. I was hoping to start driving again sometime soon.

I saw my X-Ray and the stem of the cup goes half way down my humerus. The ball is held onto my scapula with two very long screws. It all looks good, if you like that sort of thing.

This isn't my X-Ray, but here's an example of what mine does look like:
1614566663528.png

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Celle Wonderful update! It's great that you can be mostly rid of the sling. It did take me (with the regular shoulder hardware) quite awhile to be able to lift the arm(s) out to the side and reach behind me ( still can't hook a bra behind my back but can reach the back pockets). The hardware is amazing and yet after awhile I have mostly forgotten it's there.

OP
OP
Celle

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm not really aware of all that hardware in my shoulder.

It's the same with my knees. I get quite a shock when I see the X-Rays, with all that metal. They're not the original knee joints, but they work well and I'm grateful to live in an age when such surgeries are possible.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Celle I. too, am very grateful for modern surgery and hardware! I watched my Dad and his mother both suffer from arthritis in practically every joint in their bodies. It was very sad watching them struggle when there was little that medicine could offer them at that time.

OP
OP
Celle

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
6 weeks post-op today.

I had my sling off all day yesterday. When my shoulder got tired, I sat in the recliner with my arm supported on a pillow.

I'm starting to use my left arm a little, but I'm still not giving it the full load of activity. I'll work up to that gradually and also take the advice of my physio, who I see next week for the first time post-op.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mouli
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom