Guest viewing is limited

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

Lots of ice and rest. For now, the sling is your friend - don't fight it!
Oh, that is the voice of experience. Right now, I don't like the sling and I do feel like fighting it.
Ice is so helpful, more for the swelling and bruising (which is hot and itchy) than for the incision and top of the shoulder.
The incision area feels cool, but the rest of my arm gets very hot.

I slept for 5 straight hours last night. That is good.
 
I was stuck in a sling for 8 weeks and I hated it! I did find a way around it. My recliner's arms were the same height that the sling kept my arm, so I would slip out of it and rest my arm on the armrest of the recliner. Unfortunately, I didn't find a workaround in bed. Speaking of bed...fantastic you slept for 5 hours straight. That's wonderful! I pray you continue to sleep as well and even better.
 
Celle, do you have one of the immobilizer type slings with the foam piece that keeps your arm in place? That was what I had and I do have to admit I hated the thing. But, it's especially good when you're sleeping to keep your arm safe and in proper position. A recliner didn't work at all for me. I finally was able to sleep well on the couch with a foam wedge to elevate my torso. I kept my slinged arm on the inside next to the back of the couch, which added some extra support. Many times I would sleep on my side that way (I'm normally a side sleeper) and it was actually comfortable. I was taking pain meds every 4 hours for a week or so before I could start tapering off to just Tylenol. Ice was good at night, but I rarely used it during the day. I was lucky to have minimal pain. I'm so sorry you're not having it very easy. I hope and pray it gets better for you soon.
 
Speaking of bed...fantastic you slept for 5 hours straight.
I didn't sleep in the bed. I only slept (or didn't sleep) in bed the first night in hospital. The other nights were in a recliner
Celle, do you have one of the immobilizer type slings with the foam piece that keeps your arm in place? That was what I had and I do have to admit I hated the thing. But, it's especially good when you're sleeping to keep your arm safe and in proper position. A recliner didn't work at all for me.
It's just a sling with one strap around my waist and one over my shoulder.

My recliner does have armrests like yours, Paula, and I do take a break like you suggested.
 
I am doing all right, but I feel totally exhausted all the time.
I'm only slightly anaemic, bit I guess that adds to the energy drain - more blood tests to be done on Monday.

I thought a shoulder replacement would be easier than a TKR, but it's not for me.

Our Auckland son and his family should arrive this morning, will be staying all weekend, to help.
 
Celle,
Glad your family will be arriving to help you and John. Your granddaughters will help take your mind of your shoulder.
 
I've been home a few days now and I'm improving slowly - too slowly for impatient me.
I never realised how hard it can be to pull up my pants one-handed.

I have to have another blood test on Monday morning and I will have my wound re-dressed in the afternoon.

The poop fairy is still not very co-operative.
I hope to cut down my Tramadol to four doses today, instead of five. I am still taking Panadol/Tylenol as well.

The Auckland family are with us until tomorrow and they are being very helpful.
 
Easy does it @Celle . Let the family take the burden while you heal. Sending you positive, healing energy!
 
((( @Celle ))) :heehee: at pulling pants up one handed ... I know, I know!! It does eventually get easier.

Re: "poop fairy" - Is there any particular food that you love but it does not love you back? Mine is onion soup - I adore the stuff but every time I have it that "poop fairy" visits with a vengeance! If you have such an item give it a try :)

I'm so glad you had your family there with you if even for just a short time!

Healing vibes being sent to you :angel:
 
Re: "poop fairy" - Is there any particular food that you love but it does not love you back? Mine is onion soup - I adore the stuff but every time I have it that "poop fairy" visits with a vengeance! If you have such an item give it a try :)
This is brilliant, I never thought of doing this! I absolutely cannot eat prunes or drink prune juice! :eeeuw: even though these are highly recommended.
 
Hi Celle,
I hope today is a good one as you enjoy family and send them on their way until next time. Best wishes for your blood test on Monday. :)
@Celle
 
Healing mojo, as much as i can muster, coming your way.
:friends:
 
@Celle , I wasn't very fond of prunes or prune juice, apple juice helped for me.Its a shame the On Q didn't work for you I hear they make a difference, unfortunately I won't be able to have one when I get my revision shoulder to a reverse, I just have to tough it out on pills.Make sure you don't overdo things and take it as easy as you can, Ice and rest. Healing hugs.
 
This is your family's time to give back for all you do, Celle. Try to relax and let them handle things. I know that's tough. I know what you mean about the one-armed pull-up. My solution was to wear men's gym shorts in an extra large size. My extra large t-shirt and flannel shirt covered them up so I didn't look too dorky. Elastic was definitely my friend for several months.
 
Definitely elastic wristbands and loose! I also had flared tunics that were easier to pull on than a t-shirt. It is amazing to figure out how difficult things are one-sided. You can try pre-surgery, but it's not the same until you have to do it!

I hope your blood test goes well. In addition to iron supplements, my doctor has had me take B-12 in the past for anemia. You might ask your doctor about it.

The poop fairy will eventually come! I also did some stressing the system to speed the process. In my case, I can't eat gluten without drastic consequences. That loaf of sour dough bread was a tasty way to get the system moving!

Rest up and enjoy family! Let them wait on you!
 
I thought a shoulder replacement would be easier than a TKR, but it's not for me.
I have heard-actually years ago -that shoulder surgery is one of the most difficult and takes a long time. I can hear the anxiety in your words-that feeling of frustration when there’s no way to get around “time”. Hugs.
 
Thank you everyone.
I am taking it easy and I won't be posting much for a while.

My son will be taking me for my blood test this morning. He and his family will be leaving for Auckland this afternoon.

Our daughter in law has cooked and frozen several ready-made dinners for us. She is a gem.
 
Best wishes for an easy recovery...
 
My 2-week post-op appointment (actually only 11 days) went well.
My blood test was close to normal and I won't need any more.

My incision has healed well. No open areas. No sutures or clips to come out. No dressing now and I can wash it gently in the shower.
My surgeon says I am a "good healer."

To my surprise, I don't start PT until after the next surgeon appointment, in 4 weeks' time. I continue with the passive exercises I am already doing and my surgeon showed me a couple of gentle, active movements I can start gradually.

I have told my surgeon I want to go to Nichola, my husband's physio. He knows Nichola, says she is good, and he made a note to write to her.

I don't have a lot of pain now and I have started to slowly reduce the frequency of Tramadol doses. I'm now taking 4 x 50 mg daily, cut back from 5 times daily. I'm taking Panadol (Tylenol) between Tramadol doses when necessary - and it isn't always necessary.

My recovery is hard on my husband too, as he has severe damage to the femoral nerve in his left groin, following 6 surgeries in the past 2 years - his initial surgery, to clear blockages in the main artery to his leg, had all sorts of complications.

Our son and his family were here for the past weekend and they have done lots of little jobs for us.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom