Guest viewing is limited

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

@kneeper , I think it's been different with each one I could get around just fine with the shoulder but able to do more things with my knees and hip. I'm pretty useless with out my arms but i'm ambidextrous so that helped me.
 
and I didn't realise how many jobs require the use of both arms.
Being I headed into my TSR totally alone. The best info I read here, was to practice doing things one handed. I would have NEVER found out, you can't pour a bucket of water one handed!! So I had to get those big gal open top juice or ice tea plastic things, at my rainbarrels for dipping one handed watering animals/transplanted trees, etc.. Ahead of time. I had to leave my umbrellas open(rains here a lot)..................then they blow away!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. At some point I will probably need to have my shoulder replaced. I did pretty well when I broke my wrist but the shoulder seems more challenging as far as managing on your own.
 
Day 17

Yesterday was difficult. The weather was very hot and humid (it is summer here in NZ) and I couldn't get comfortable, no matter what I did.

My frozen gel packs felt too cold, even when wrapped some more, my cat was clingy and she wanted to sit on me, and I had a dose of the post-op blues.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

More and more, I am realising that, even with my past experience of knee replacements, I was not mentally prepared for this recovery. I was so keen to get this done that I minimized the impact of a long recovery. It's hard on my husband too, as he also needs a bit of help each day. I can do that for him.

I found, while in the shower, that I already have a reasonable amount of mobility in my left arm. That is pleasing.

Our daughter called us on Skype from England late in the evening and that cheered me up a bit.

Our granddaughter, Hope (aged 8), won't be going back to school if schools re-open after Easter. The teachers are more organised and she is doing about 4 hours of on-line school work each day, with parental supervision. That puts a load on her parents, who have been working from home for over a year now, but they have got into a routine. Doing the on-line school work, which is marked each day, counts as school attendance.

Hoping for a better day today.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well over all @Celle. I dislocated my shoulder and tore the supraspinatus some years ago, and shoulder surgery is at LEAST as painful as TKR and while the PT sucked, it was all about ROM and not all about strengthening at least in my case.
 
To my surprise, I don't start PT until after the next surgeon appointment, in 4 weeks' time.
It was 6 weeks before my surgeon scheduled me for formal therapy. Until then he only wanted me to do pulley exercises. That program seemed to work pretty well for me. Part of the delay for me probably had to do with the muscle repair he had to do on the subscapularis muscle. It was really that long before I was mentally and physically ready for any type of real therapy.

I had rotator cuff surgery. I was told beforehand that shoulder surgery was harder than other joints.
I've always heard (from patients and from my surgeon too) that rotator cuff surgery is much more difficult to recover from than the shoulder replacements. So, SaraK, I'm not surprised you felt this way.

Our oldest son came to dinner last evening. He has mental health problems and he has had his right leg amputated above the knee, due to an accident. Usually, he needs a lot of support, but yesterday he was very helpful to us.
Celle, I'm so happy to hear your son is doing okay. I think about him so often since we faced many of your same challenges dealing with our grandson.

I didn't realise how many jobs require the use of both arms.
Isn't this the truth!! This was my biggest shock when I faced shoulder replacement recovery. I don't feel like most surgeons prepare us for this reality. It's probably not such a big deal if you have someone at home to help. But when you're by yourself and especially if you have pets or animals to care for - sheesh! It's very challenging and it takes a lot of pre-planning and thought.
 
My pain really isn't bad, just a dull ache much of the time. The zingers seem to have gone away, too.
I've been able to cut back my Tramadol to 50 mg in the morning (my regular dose for an irritable cough reflex) and half that in the late afternoon. I hope to cut out the afternoon dose during the next week.

I'm still taking Paracetamol 1,000 mg 4 times a day and it does seem to work on post-op pain.

I still hate the sling and my surgeon's instructions are to gradually wean out of it "after week four".
I still have 2 days to go before 3 weeks are completed, but I'm wearing the sling more loosely now, because my arm gets so hot in it, in this hot weather.

My blood tests are almost back to normal now.
 
@Celle What a wonderful up date! It's great that your pain has decreased so significantly. And soon you will be able to ditch the sling entirely. I remember thoroughly disliking the slings I had to wear ... and yes they did get too hot!

And a relief I'm sure to have the blood tests showing good improvement!
 
Happy to hear your pain is just a dull ache and the awful arthritis pain is gone.
One more week and you can wean out of your sling.
 
Great update, Celle! Happy to read you’re feeling better and things are looking up.
I hope this week brings even more relief. :)
@Celle
 
Great news, Just remember once you come out of the sling you need to still watch what you are doing with that arm, and not do to much to soon. before you know it therapy will begin. Continued recovery.
 
I haven't yet reached the point where I can say I'm glad I had my shoulder replaced, but on the whole it seems to be less painful now than it was pre-op.
I seem to have good ROM for this point in recovery (3.5 weeks).

The sling is hot and uncomfortable, but it probably stops me from using my arm too much.

I will be able to deal with the weight restrictions in the short term (nothing heavier than a cup of coffee), but the long-term restriction of lifting nothing heavier than 5 Kg - about 11 pounds - could be difficult.
 
@Celle, you can do it, I too thought the sling was hot, so I would put a ice pack or two inside and that would help cool the arm down. I had a regular replacement, but am looking at a revision to a reverse next month. Continue with the good work you are doing,it does get better,I'm told. Best of luck, stay safe.
 
@Celle Be sure to check with your surgeon about a year from now -- I know reverse replacements are a bit different than regular ones but I also think most surgeons are super cautious about "permanent" restrictions. My first shoulder surgeon told me that I'd have a weight lifting "permanent" restriction of about 10 lbs mainly because I had to have a bone graft with the replacement. But when I saw him again a couple of years later ( consult for the 2nd shoulder) he evaluated the first one and said nope I did not need any restrictions! Now both shoulders manage lifting relatively heavy things quite easily. Though I do leave really heavy things to my housemate or other helpful folks :)
 
Glad to hear things are coming along, sounds like no "real" problems. Always good!
 
4 weeks post-op today.

I feel so pleased this morning. I managed to shower all by myself, and I only needed help drying my back.

I was able to put on all my clothes myself, even my socks, and I only needed help putting on the sling.

From today, I am allowed to gradually start weaning myself out of the sling. I will have to do this slowly, as I feel I could be inclined to overdo things.

I'm still sleeping in the recliner, but I feel I will try sleeping in bed in a few days' time. I'm still only sleeping for about 4 hours a night, but that's often a normal pattern for me. I make up for it by taking daytime naps.
 
@Celle , Isn't it funny,how just the simplest things, can make us soooo happy.Just being able to do the every day things of personal care is such a blessing. For four weeks out, you are doing wonderful. I didn't sleep in the recliner because it bothers my back, and the fact I have a hospital bed I set up for after I have surgeries, I slept it that for about 7 weeks. Sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you go slow on leaving the sling off. Please wear your sling when you go out in public, it's more of a reminder to others that you've had something done to your shoulder. Continued success on a great recovery. As always take care and stay safe.
 
Please wear your sling when you go out in public, it's more of a reminder to others that you've had something done to your shoulder.
That's a really good tip. Thank you.

Last week, while I was waiting to have a blood test, I met an old friend. She saw the sling, but she thought I had injured my elbow, so she patted me on the shoulder. I managed to stop her from doing it more than once and she was full of apologies.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom