Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

@Celle I agree with SaraK! I've found with both my shoulder replacements that even after getting discharged from PT the shoulders continue to strengthen and get more flexible as I go about just living life :yay: Have not tested this out by going back for a PT session but I'd be willing to bet that both would show significant improvement in ROM and strength from the last official PT visit.
 
Celle, just this morning I was wondering how your shoulder was coming along and I was going to ask. So glad to read such a good update!
 
A PT like that is a treasure. Glad to hear you are improving.
 
Hi @Celle, I'm sorry to read you were going through a hard time earlier in the year, I've only just spotted this now. I am glad to hear things are improving but it can be a long road. I've had a few open shoulder surgeries myself in the past so I'm guessing how you feel about now is drained but glad you are well on the way to a good and complete recovery. :thumb:
I was wondering what femoral nerve problems hubby has.... it sounds like he has been helped too. It's nice when you get onto a good physio.
 
I was wondering what femoral nerve problems hubby has.... it sounds like he has been helped too. It's nice when you get onto a good physio.
My husband had an operation to increase the circulation to his left leg 3 years ago and, unfortunately, he had a series of complications. First, the patch on his femoral artery sprung a leak and he had to go back to theatre to repair that the following day.

Then, a week later, he developed a fast-growing infection in the wound in his groin. Back to theatre again, to remove all the infected tissue, which left him with a deep wound as big as your fist. At some stage during one of the surgeries, his femoral nerve was damaged and he still has constant nerve pain.

His surgeon put him on Gabapentin for the nerve pain, which resulted in him losing all hearing in his left ear within 3 days. We're told that's a very rare occurrence, but it's left him with permanent problems.

He's seen a neurologist, who says nothing can be done to mitigate the nerve damage. His PT has been working on strengthening the leg and that has worked well. She really is an excellent PT.

However, he has now developed severe osteoarthritis in his left hip and he is scheduled for a hip replacement next month. We have some worries about this, but he can't go on as he is now.
 
@Celle ... Gosh you have both been through a lot. I do hope he finds relief in a THR, hopefully it will make things a bit better for him. I know what nerve pain is like and its can be tiresome. Men often try to hide pain so I am glad he is getting some help with it, its not something you want to endure long-term. I take Lyrica (Pregabalin) and that helps a lot but the side effects can be bad... so far I've had 6 broken teeth (3 this year) and 4nerve roots done over the years all during the times I've been on it. No-one thought it was a side effect till I looked on the internet and it was clear quite a few people suffered from those dental problems as well.

So I guess you will be the one helping him this time. I hope it all turns out well for him. :fingersx:
 
Thank you for your best wishes for my husband's THR, @jsa .

We've been married for 50 years, so we're used to supporting each other.
We'll get through this.
 
I saw my PT today. I had to admit that I haven't been doing the exercises she set, but I have been using my arm and shoulder normally.

Two days ago, I unloaded my grocery shopping from my car, carrying a bag in each hand. I did make sure that my left hand took the lighter load, but otherwise I didn't favour the replaced shoulder at all.

I have stopped thinking about my shoulder all the time.

My PT tested my shoulder and arm strength and she was very pleased. She said that there was no difference in strength between my replaced shoulder and my other shoulder.

She didn't give me any shoulder exercises to do but, instead, she spent the time examining my hip bursitis and massaging my IT band and the muscles at the back of my left leg.

I have trochanteric bursitis and ischial bursitis (the bone you sit on) and that has bothered me a lot the last couple of weeks.
 
@Celle " I have stopped thinking about my shoulder all the time. " BIG milestone!! Isn't it a wonderful revelation to not think about a joint while going about your life?! :loveshwr:
 
I'm tending to protect my right shoulder now, as it has arthritis. I don't want another shoulder replacement if I can avoid it.
 
Had reverse shoulder replacement aug.2nd , still have lots of swelling on the arm, start my therapy on aug. 30th. Is it normal to have lots of swelling yet. Think I will call doctor on monday and have a talk with him.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom