Guest viewing is limited

Reverse Shoulder Replacement Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement

I'm glad you had such great help! Sometimes you worry that you'll feel (wrongly) like you have to do things when someone comes to stay. I'm glad you were able to relax and that your DIL was so thoughtful to leave food to make it easier on you even after they left.

I always wonder at different PT instructions. Mine would, of course be different from yours because I had rotator cuff surgery. I was told beforehand that shoulder surgery was harder than other joints. Both that rehab takes longer and can be more painful as well as that people were more likely to have pain for a longer time. Thankfully, it sounds like you are doing well in the pain dept (probably in part because you know the benefits of using ice).

Take care and just relax as much as you can!
 
BOY, so sorry to hear you had the worst time. Hope it goes smoother from here on out.

Been there with a nurse who couldn't get into a vein(& I have GOOD veins), THEN........ reads she missed getting blood for some other test(after pulling needle out). Poked around again & never got enough. Tech from Lab had to come down & do it RIGHT!

I never realized how hard it can be to pull up my pants one-handed. I was never a sweat pants person. Boy said:
Ripe pineapple does it for me?
 
Sounds like you’re making great progress, Celle. I‘m sure you’re surgeons comment that you’re a good healer was very reassuring. How thoughtful of your DIL to cook and freeze meals making it easier for you and John at this time. Glad to hear your blood work is near normal again, no further checking needed. You’re on your way! :happydance:
@Celle
 
Two weeks today since my surgery.

I had a bit of a bad day yesterday. I just couldn't get comfortable, no matter what I did. It wasn't actual pain, but an overall feeling of restlessness. A case of 2 steps forward and one step back, I guess.
I started having a few zingers, too - sudden nerve pains.

I was also woken three times in the night, for trips to the toilet. I hope that means I have got rid of some of my excess swelling. My surgeon told me it could take as long as 6 months before all the swelling is gone. He frequently says I should expect a long recovery.

I am so glad it is summer here in NZ and I don't have to wear lots of clothes. Even with help, showering and getting dressed seems to take a long, long time and it leaves me exhausted.

Our oldest son came to dinner last evening. He has mental health problems and he has had his right leg amputated above the knee, due to an accident. Usually, he needs a lot of support, but yesterday he was very helpful to us. :yes!: :)
 
@Celle Wonderful that you had such a nice visit with your son! :yes!:

As for the swelling and "zingers" ... these too shall pass. I can't compare shoulder replacement to knees nor to a reverse replacement but my experience was that swelling was greatly reduced by about 4-5 weeks post op. And strength and ROM were helped a lot with the PT I had. AND strength and ROM continues to improve even 7 and 4 years after the fact!
 
Glad to see your appointment went well... Glad You are a good healer... For yourself and others.
I am thinking of you, and wishing you well.
:roseshwr:
 
So glad you had a nice visit with your son. :flwrysmile:
 
Even with help, showering and getting dressed seems to take a long, long time and it leaves me exhausted.
It really does wear you out. I found it so frustrating not being able to do things with just the one hand. I think I needed a lot more help with the shoulder than with the knee, especially with it being my dominant hand that I couldn't use.
 
I think the 2 week point was when I got a bit restless. I think you start feeling better but that makes you realize you're not feeling as well as you want to. The first couple of weeks I was just so tired and then I probably (knowing me and kind of remembering what was going on at work at that point) did more than I should as well. Hopefully it's all going to be moving forward from here with only an occasional stutter step!
 
I am so glad it is summer here in NZ and I don't have to wear lots of clothes. Even with help, showering and getting dressed seems to take a long, long time and it leaves me exhausted.
I timed my TSR for winter as nothing to do outside(or think I should have been doing outside) For me finishing building my house for years. I tried to look at it as it would be a enforced "vacation". It took me forever to dress, long underwear & 3 layers on top, before even heading outside! But I just kept saying to myself, "Gee, what else do I have to do!" It filled my more empty days. Try to keep thinking take your time, relax, read(book on a pillow), (me do taxes), etc. It sure takes awhile to unwind down to that level. As you know self PT later will soon fill your days right back up. So it will not be long.
 
Thank you for the encouragement @HandyWOMAN .
I guess I have to remember that, like knee and hip replacement, recovery from a shoulder replacement isn't a straight linear progression. It's more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Celle's Reverse Shoulder Replacement


I still have a small amount of post-op "brain fog" and I'm a bit forgetful. I can't concentrate long enough to read a book yet, although I have several ready and waiting.

I'm watching far more TV than usual, in spite of some "reality" programs being a bit rubbish. I prefer the wildlife documentaries, especially David Attenborough.

I also have the post-op energy drain, as much of my body's energy is still going towards healing my shoulder. By about 5 p.m. I am washed out and just can't get comfortable. It isn't pain, but a general feeling of all-over discomfort and restlessness that the pain meds don't seem to help.
I do have a "nanna-nap" during the afternoon too.

Ah well, two weeks are over. Better times to come.
 
Celle,
Good advice you are giving yourself, hope the coming week continues to show slow but sure improvement.
Enjoy your nanna-nap, good healing will occur during that time.
 
I guess I have to remember that, like knee and hip replacement, recovery from a shoulder replacement isn't a straight linear progression. It's more like this:

HA! love the drawing! So true!
 
I had issues with brain fog after my surgeries. I had to keep notes (hard after rotator cuff surgery on your dominant shoulder) or I wouldnt remember things. Did I actually draft that document? Did I file that form with the IRS? Did my son's doctor actually run that test?

Get some rest, let things go, be comfortable and let yourself be waited on!
 
I had the brain fog issues also, mainly concentration as you mentioned, Celle.
Couldn’t get through the Recovery Guidelines to save my life, start over, start over, start over, give up! Main thing that bothered me was I couldn’t remember if I asked my husband a question already and IF I did...what was the answer?!!!! :hissy: It actually concerned me, being a new experience. Thankfully it wasn’t permanent.

It’s seems you’re doing pretty well with two weeks already behind you. I hope hubby is an attentive nursemaid...keeping you comfortable. Get lots of restorative rest this weekend, hope it’s a peaceful one!
@Celle
 
Is the shoulder a harder recovery than the knee? It seems like at least with the knee you have full use of your arms...
 
Yes, @kneeper , I am finding the shoulder more difficult. It's less painful, but I can't elevate to reduce swelling, the sling is hot and uncomfortable, and I didn't realise how many jobs require the use of both arms.

I hope hubby is an attentive nursemaid...keeping you comfortable. Get lots of restorative rest this weekend, hope it’s a peaceful one!
He's doing his best, but he also has pain and mobility problems, because of the femoral nerve damage in his groin. Also, he's not very empathetic or nurturing - his mother never taught him that. It was more like "shape up or ship out" for him and his brothers.

On top of that, we're selling a property we bought in Australia 28 years ago. We've received an offer we will accept, but my husband is struggling with finding out about Australian tax law, which differs from NZ's. He is getting stressed about that.
The timing is bad, but we'll get through it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom