Guest viewing is limited

THR Cassidy's hopalong recovery<

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Missed it yesterday. Hope things are slowly returning to normal in your life.
Hopefully your return to work is going well also.
A great weekend to you!
@Cassidy
 
Glad to hear everything is going in the right direction @Cassidy ......and :yes!::yes!: for getting rid of the TEDS....haven't had to wear them for the op (suggested to my surgeon I could get by with just aspirin, and bless him, he agreed :yay:) but just the short flight socks drive me insane, so I don't envy you wearing them thro the summer! Hope your husband continues to make a good recovery, and take care of yourself :flwrysmile:
 
Yes, Happy Two Months.:yahoo:

Bet you are dog tired ...now that all the crises have calmed...and you are probably back to doing (too much is my guess)
Sending all my best to you.
Hope your weekend is sweet!:tada:
 
Thank you @Layla. @anny and @Mojo333. Things are gradually getting back to normal. I went back to work half time last week and survived the course, although I was quite pleased to come home each day. I'm doing the same next week and hoping to get back to "proper" part-time hours the following week.

Hip is behaving well. I get the occasional twinge/soreness from the incision, but putting my feet up and icing when necessary seems to help it along. I'm walking with no aids - much to the surprise of some of my friends - and have to remind myself not to bend too far. I do wonder if this anterolateral approach is less inclined to dislocation, but I'm not going to test out my theory - especially as the OS said to follow restrictions up to 12 weeks. He did also say that I was never to put my thigh up to my chest (sounds very convoluted, but you know what I mean and I can do it with my better leg), so I suppose I'd better not try that either! My 82-year old Dad still sits on his kitchen chair and does exactly that pose to tie his shoelaces.

I went back to swimming for the first time, but didn't try breast stroke - more like a doggy paddle with legs kicking up and down - and I didn't seem to suffer too much the following day, so I'll give that another go tomorrow.

Husband is also progressing, and I've been going out for short walks with him to give him some moral support. We ventured out on the buses yesterday, and I did think afterwards that I should have taken my stick, if only to justify us sitting in the seats reserved for the less capable amongst us - to spectators we would appear to be fine, unless he rips open his shirt to show his zipper scar (I don't think I'll be showing anybody on the 'bus my scar!).

So hopefully all will continue to improve in this household - and I hope the same goes for everybody else on this journey through hippie land.

(And, @anny, you've got the measure of me - I do like to be busy, and am back to my a cappella choir and playing the piano for a local WI choir that's just started practising for their Christmas concert. I'm already planning new hobbies/deciding if I should retire (although prevarication reigns supreme on that topic!!) I suspect that I'll work, be it paid or voluntary, until I'm no longer capable, as I do like being "out there".
 
Well done with being so successful and active. A huge achievement. If I could award a medal I would. Instead I will just curtsey to you. A few times.

:curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey::curtsey:
 
@Cassidy
You seem to be getting on well and it's lovely that you and your Hubbie have been able to go out together.

I am on 12 week restrictions too. I have to keep reminding myself not to bend etc. As I am getting better it would be easy to forget and I don't want to take any chances.

The Cappella choir sounds good. I am thinking of joining a new choir myself later this week
 
You were the day before me @Apricot - how are you getting on? And @Bionic, I don't know whereabouts in the UK you live, but I'd recommend an a cappella choir if you like the challenge of singing in parts unaccompanied. I'm a bari (reasonably low), which involves a lot of unexpected notes - but other voices are always needed. I might even be able to stand for a whole performance now!!
 
@Cassidy

I am in South West Wales. I have seen a group called Twyi Harmony where there is no need to read music. It's a mix of popular, gospel and world music, all in unaccompanied harmony. Previously I was in a choir, where we were singing quite complicated choral pieces and when you don't read music, as I don't, I sometimes found it a bit above me, but that choir master retired and the choir stopped.

After my car accident (in 1985) I lost the use of one of my vocal chords for a period of time and didn't sing for the next 30 years. I started to sing again 3 years ago and my voice has got stronger so I am keen to continue.
 
@Cassidy
I'm normally out of tune. Not permitted to sing at home. Going along the posterior way. Slower than I would like on some things like two leg stairs and unaided walking with a good gait. But something improves each day. Have to see how it goes. Seeing the consultant on Friday
 
It nice to hear you're doing well, Cassidy. Hubby too!
Out for walks, back to work, singing in the choir and playing the piano.
You're on your way!! :yay:
@Cassidy
 
My 82-year old Dad still sits on his kitchen chair and does exactly that pose to tie his shoelaces.
:wow: Dad.

So glad you are getting back to your life.
No mooning bus riders for sympathy seats...:) :-) (:
 
I was being good this morning and going for a walk with hubby when I managed to fall over. We've got some pavements that have been done with "tactile paving" - i.e. bobbly paving stones that are supposed to alert the blind to a crossing, etc. Well, my super grip shoe decided to super grip to the bobbles and my body kept going, so I did an undignified fall forward onto one knee (luckily not on my op leg) and one hand (strangely the opposite hand), skinning aforementioned knee and thumb of the other hand. As one does I got up very quickly, without even thinking of 90 degree restrictions (not wishing to be seen in such an embarrassing position) - I'm sure I broke all the rules - but luckily the hip doesn't seem to have come to any harm. At least, I managed to walk back home and see to my bleeding and very sore thumb and knee. Teach me to get cocky. I'm assuming that I'd know it if I'd damaged my new hip; so far, so good. I don't think I can blame the fall on old age - I was probably walking fast to keep up with husband, who's got much longer legs (I'm always telling him to slow down, because at my height it's like watching a toddler walking alongside an adult - run, run, walk, run, run, walk ....)

So, his fault as always!
 
I'm so sorry, Cassidy. Thankfully you are okay!
That first trip or fall has to be terrifying. I'm not looking forward to that happening.
I hope you manage to stay on your feet for the rest of the day :heehee:
A peaceful evening to you and best wishes for a great weekend!
@Cassidy
 
OOh pavements are very dangerous. Glad you didn't fracture your wrist - that's easily done that way. You rest up and take care of the grazes. Hope they heal up quickly.
 
Oh my stars....
No falling down:bignono:
Is against the rules!!

I'm sure you didn't damage your hip...
Sounds like hubby is getting on well.
Was it your op leg knee? Hope it's okay.
Hope your weekend is sweet!
 
@Cassidy
Wow, I bet that unnerved you. On the plus side it makes you realise just how strong the hip really is.
I hadn't thought about bobbly paving stones. At the moment its just long grass that seems to want to trip me up. Or maybe I am just using it as an excuse to get husband to cut the grass :)
I hope you are feeling ok today and suffering nothing more than a sore hand and knee.
 
Oh that is scary! Hope you are ok Cassidy! And so glad your new shiny hip has not got “tarnished”.... we’re you walking without a stick?
 
Luckily it was my non-op knee @Mojo333, and my op hand - so hopefully not too much went up to the hip. The knee and finger are both very sore, but the hip hasn't complained any more than usual so far. I haven't been using a stick regularly for a few weeks now, @SurreyGirl, although I did have one hanging on my arm just in case I needed it, or to show on the 'bus to get a seat if necessary. Generally I hang on to my hubby's arm, but he was slightly ahead of me. I think it shook him up too! I hate that feeling of slow motion, when you realise you're going down and there's absolutely nothing that can be done to stop you! I'm sure it was either my toe caught on one of the "bobbles" or the non-slip on the bottom of the shoe just stuck to it. I'm avoiding those paving stones now.

I was worried for the rest of yesterday; I hoped I hadn't jarred my non-cemented implant loose or cracked a bone - but so far nothing untoward has reared its ugly head - so fingers crossed that nothing more than my pride was damaged!
 
Good to hear! I don’t think my H is keen to have me hang onto him in case I pull him over. . I do my walks alone :-( cue Greta Garbo!
 
Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but that's because I'm back at work and don't have anything exciting to report. Hubby and I are both trying to walk, him for his heart and me for my hip, and we're discovering places that are accessible by bus and that end up with a cafe/tea shop. I'm back to singing and playing the piano again, and I'm going to try the train down to my parents in Devon this weekend - I haven't seen them since June, pre-op and hubby's heart attack.

It's nice to get back to normal, and I'm not taking it for granted yet. I'm trying to be thankful for being able to do things that I haven't for quite a while, like walking to the bus stop and mooching around the shops - very basic things really!!

I'll call in from time to time and try to make helpful comments where I can - but all in all I think I've had quite a smooth ride in the hip department (apart from my fall, which did shake me up). Most of my stress came from outside factors, like heart bypasses! - so thank you all for your valuable support and words of advice - and all the best to those going through/about to go through/just gone through surgery.

I know I'm early on in the journey yet, but I hope the worst is over and I can sit back and enjoy the view!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom