Yesterday morning I spent a couple of hours at the hospital having my dressing changed. What a bizarre experience. To start with nobody seemed to know why I was there as my discharge notes hadn't been sent down from the ward, one floor up.
Once that was sorted the nurse set to work on my plaster cast. She cut down the side of the cast furthest away from my thumb and then proceeded to manoeuvre said cast off my thumb and hand. Not easy and not painless. She then put a new dressing on, which took all of thirty seconds, and wrapped my arm in some padding. Then the fun started as she tried to slide the same cast back on again. Of course as she pushed it on so the padding pushed down too. Not enough padding she decided so another layer added and guess what, the same thing happened again and the cast wouldn't go over it all anyway. Too much padding she thought so removed it all and started again. Finally, at the 4th attempt she managed to get it on of sorts, and wrapped a crepe bandage round it to keep it in place. Give her her due, she was very apologetic about it all, but by now my thumb was very painful and I was exhausted, so much so that I had to spend the afternoon in bed.
This wasn't quite how I had envisaged spending my 65th birthday!
And I've got to go through it all again next Wednesday when the stitches are taken out! Linda x