Finger/Thumb Carpometacarpal (CMC) Joint Treatment?

Coppernob

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've no idea where to post this as it's not about knee or hip surgery, but is osteoarthritis related. Maybe someone who knows about these things will move it if need be. Perhaps we need a new category called Related Surgeries or something similar.

For the past four years or so I've been suffering from osteoarthritis in my left thumb, in the CMC joint, and it has become increasingly painful and inconvenient. I had a steroid injection in it a year ago which gave me relief for two weeks, and another a month ago which again helped a bit for two weeks, but now the pain is back with a vengeance.

Two weeks ago my GP referred me for further investigations and possible surgery. Yesterday I had an NHS Choices letter and I could go to the local private hospital under the NHS on 26 November or the NHS hospital on 15 January 2105. Guess which one I have chosen! I've done some research on the internet, but I wonder if anyone has any personal experience of CMC joint treatment and can advise me on questions to ask, what to expect, options etc.

I hope I'm not breaking any Bonesmart rules by asking about something other than knees and hips! Linda x

@Coppernob You posted in the right place but I changed the title of your thread so others can find it and give you input. You are more than welcome to post about other joint treatments here in the Social Room. I'm going to tag Jo to see if she has any input. @Josephine

There are lots of folks who quilt who end up with this surgery---I think that Jo will know all about it. I have seen quilters walking around with light casts on their hands and then later back to quilting, so i think it is probably a successful surgery.

Well, the options of treatment are
1. leave it be and treat the pain
2. a trapeziectomy - removal of the carpal bone (trapezium) under the thumb

3. a fusion - usually fixed with screws or a plate and screws

4. a joint replacement - 2 types shown here

Silastic
View attachment 27527

Total joint replacement
View attachment 27529

I'm having the total joint replacement - it's like a mini hip!

Wow, a total thumb joint!!! Amazing Jo--thanks for the info!

Do they use the same sort of cement as for hips and knees?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jaycey. When are you having your thumb joint replaced Josephine? We'll see on Wednesday what the lady recommends for me. As along as it relieves the pain I really don't mind what she does! Linda x

Do they use the same sort of cement as for hips and knees?
I wanted to find a clip from "A Few Good Men" where either Tom Cruise or Jack Nicolson says "Is there another kind?"! But I couldn't find it! :rotfl:

Well I saw the hand and wrist surgeon on Wednesday. She doesn't do the full joint replacements, wouldn't recommend fusion (not that I wanted it) and so is going to do a trapeziectomy, but not until late March/April. Grandchild number 8 is due at the beginning of March so I need to be around then!

She said that although the surgery takes only about 30 mins under GA, she likes her patients to stay in overnight so that adequate pain relief can be sorted. I'm all for that! The recovery sounds long and frustrating - 6 weeks in a hand and wrist cast doing nothing with the thumb, then 6 weeks with wrist supported but using the thumb for anything other than the pinching action, then the next 3 months gradually using it more normally. If at the end of all that the thumb joint is pain free, it will be worth it.

That was Wednesday, on Thursday I was diagnosed with probable shingles. Apparently I don't have the classic symptoms, but that's what the doctor is treating it as. A week of rest and ant-viral tablets prescribed. So our weekend in London which had been planned for months has had to be postponed and Paul and I are both feeling very fed up. Linda x

Oh I am sorry to hear of your problems---it does seem unfair, doesn't it. Hopefully the shingles will be sorted out with the anti viral. They do say that if you get the shingles vaccine early on it does help end the shingles outbreak. Hopefully you can reschedule London soon.

I was rereading the info on the thumb problems---perhaps you should see a second doc and explore the thumb joint replacement? I am sure that @Josephine could recommend someone for you to see as a second opinion.

Linda, who was this surgeon and at which hospital? (sorry if I already asked you this)

It was Kristen Beyermann at The Yorkshire Clinic.

See you've now got a date for your second knee op. Not too long to wait. Linda x

It was Kristen Beyermann at The Yorkshire Clinic.
My life! You were only 3 miles from Bradford Hospital, the premier hand surgery unit in the world! They were the first unit to successfully replant a severed finger. Why ever don't you go there?

@Josephine Do you mean Bradford Royal Infirmary? I would never have believed it! I've had all my knee surgeries there but opted for Yorkshire Clinic for my thumb as the waiting time was so much shorter. Perhaps I know why now! Linda x

For sure! My SIL opted for a shorter waiting list though I told them and told them (her and my brother) that the surgeon she was seeing only did about 40 knees a year. His answer was "Oh I'm sure he'll be okay. They wouldn't let him do them otherwise"! Famous last words! Her knee has never been right.

Providing all ok at pre-op assessment on 24 March, surgery due to take place on 8 April. I'm on the edge of that well known 'I'll be glad to get it done but I'm scared' phase! Linda x

Well, I wish you all the luck in the world. I shall be keeping an eye on your recovery for my own benefit so please do keep us (me!) updated.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom