Finger/Thumb Carpometacarpal (CMC) Joint Treatment?

Pre-op assessment day tomorrow. I'd better print off another yet another copy of my medical history to take with me even though they should know it by heart now. I just hope they say I'm ok to go as I want this thumb sorted and back to some usefulness. Linda x
 
Good luck tomorrow, I will be thinking of you
 
So glad to see others who know about CMC and sorry for all who suffer. My right thumb can go from painful to excruciating in a matter of nanoseconds. My left is starting to follow suit. I only use a brace on the right, but recently purchased Tommy Copper fingerless gloves in hope they would help some. And, yes, my hand doc recommended joint replacement when the pain started to wake me up at night. Ha. A train coming through my room wouldn't wake me...lol
 
Well my pre-op aasessment last Tuesday was a doddle. I've never had such a quick and efficient one before. Providing the MRSA swabs come back normal it's all systems go for 8 April. Linda x
 
Help! Yesterday I had a bit of a scratchy throat, today I have woken up full of cold. I need to get rid of this by next Wednesday. Any advice gratefully received. Linda x
 
I certainly hope so. At the moment it feels terminal! Linda x
 
@Coppernob, you have a few days left yet. Give yourself some TLC. I hope you manage to shake it off in time for surgery. I have had they remains of a cold before and still been operated on, it all depends on the decision of the anaesthetist.
 
In faith my bag is packed ready for my 7.00am admission tomorrow.

If you hear from me tomorrow it will be because they won't operate due to me still sniffling and snuffling, otherwise I'll see you all again on Thursday. Linda x
 
Good luck! We'll be thinking of you.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Then you should be on the table by now. Hope it's all going well.
 
Good luck, I will be thinking of you tomorrow.
 
Yes I know it's Friday, not Thursday, but yesterday didn't go quite as planned.

But back to Wednesday first. I arrived at hospital at 7.00 am, was admitted, saw the anaesthetist, saw my surgeon (no mention made of my cold) and was taken into theatre at 9.30 am. For this op I had a GA so no nasty injections in my back, just one in the back of my hand and the next thing I knew it was 11.00 am and I was in recovery with a huge pot and bandage on my left wrist. The diagnosis was advanced OA of the carpometacarpal joint.

The rest of Wednesday passed in a daze of sleeping, painkillers and beeping blood pressure machines. Come teatime, having asked for something that I could eat with just a fork, I was presented with a plate sporting a dry and tough whole chicken breast, potatoes, carrots and parsnips - no mention of how I was supposed to cut any of it up one handed! Wonderful! Not a lot of sleep Wednesday night.

On Thursday nausea struck and lasted all day! I was discharged at 11.30 am and Paul brought me home. After nibbling a piece toast it was back to bed for the afternoon, though no proper sleep, just feeling grim. In the end I decided to get up to see if being upright would help the nausea but no. I'll spare you the gory details, but at 9.30 pm I was finally mega-ly sick and immediately felt better!

Today I have slept nearly all morning and have managed some scrambled egg for lunch so hopefully things are beginning to look up. The other positive thing is that the pain is nowhere near as bad as predicted and, as yet, today I've taken no pain killers.

I have to go back to hospital next week to have the dressing changed, the following week to have the stitches out and then I'll be in a pot for 6 weeks.

Thank you for all your thoughts and support. They mean a lot. Linda x
 
Linda,
Glad you are home and doing well, after a few ups and downs. Sounds like you are on your way to an uneventful recovery. Keep us posted on how your surgery goes. I assume you had a joint replacement?
 
I was presented with a plate sporting a dry and tough whole chicken breast, potatoes, carrots and parsnips - no mention of how I was supposed to cut any of it up one handed!
Oh brother! Doncha just love'm. Thick as two short planks and then some. :tantrum:
 
No, Pumpkin, I didn't have a joint replacement but the trapezium bone removed.

Today is a much better day. I wrapped my arm in a bin bag and had a shower of sorts and have been out for a bit of fresh air. Now about to have a bit of late lunch. I don't really know what I want to eat but if something is put in front of me I'll give it a go. Linda x
 
Linda, how is your hand recovery going on? I hope that you are glad of the surgery by now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom