TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Yay on the three flights of stairs. Now, that's saying something!
 
Managed to walk up three flights of stairs yesterday and did quite a bit of Zimmer work. I think my rate of improvement is increasing but if I overdo it I find I have to take it very easy for a couple of days.
That's a great achievement. Well done!
 
Following my total knee replacement on November 21st last year, Just now, for the first time, I have been able to walk with the Zimmer and lift my good foot off the :censored: floor and I am right chuffed!
 
That is so exciting! :happydance:
 
You are coming along well. Everybody has their own pace. :flwrysmile:
 
You're making great progress now. :yes!: :happydance: :yay: :spin: :dancy:
I'm so pleased for you.
 
Hello,
I am finding that after having a good day "walking" and hauling myself upstairs as I have recently reported, I cannot easily repeat this until I have rested the knee for a couple of days. In short: One good day leads to two more painful days. This is most frustrating. Is this pattern to be expected? Am I overdoing it?
Thanks & Regards,

Jim
 
Four flights of stairs! :yikes: I am just able to go up and down one step, and that is with fear and intrepidation! On Monday two hours before you said ...

Just now, for the first time, I have been able to walk with the Zimmer and lift my good foot off the :censored: floor and I am right chuffed!

Please don't run before you can walk. However, if you have a magical walker, please tell me about it. :idea: I think you need to take things a little slower. :) :-) (:
 
Build up slowly to any new accomplishment and let it “stabilize” at that level before adding more. If pain and swelling is worse after, rest your knee and do less when you try it again.

We all struggle to find the right balance.
 
I have been progressing fairly well on Zimmer and getting upstairs. Didn't feel stable on elbow crutches so I got a pair of arm crutches. Much to my disappointment even more unstable. So back to Zimmer then try crutches every day.
 
I couldn't use the underarm crutches at all. I wobbled like a baby just learning to walk! Each success you have is a reason to celebrate.
 
I cannot walk with the arm or underarm crutches either so am sticking to my trusty walker with two wheels on the front. I believe we should use what is comfortable for us and not what others suggest ... although I believe we must at least try these other methods!
 
It is getting on for six months since my RTKR. I suffer negligible pain except when i stand and put too much weight on the leg. Thus I can only walk a few yards with a Zimmer but mostly I am stuck in a wheelchair. I am not prone to depression, I am both pragmatic and stoic. But, Dear Lord, give me a break and put me on my feet!
 
It's taking so long for you, but you are still making progress.
[Bonesmart.org] Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op
Hang in there!
 
I’m sorry , I hear to pain and depression in your voice. I’m always here if you need to talk
 
Thank you both for cheering me up and for the offer of help. I will get past this. Mostly I feel frustration at not being able to do what I want to do and I don't like causing my wife work and not being able to help her (apart from doing the ironing!)
 
After feeling a little down yesterday, I thought I would see what would happen if I tried to walk using the "walker" that I got to aid my perambulations some months before I had the TKR. I was astonished to find that walking with it was much easier than the Zimmer. In addition I was mostly able to raise my good foot of the floor rather than sliding it along. Further my bad foot is making more contact with the floor - more the whole foot rather than the toes and ball of the foot. Now its a matter of using the walker as much as I can to progress further. I am indeed much happier!
 
I’m glad you found an alternative to help you! :yay:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom