TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

You really do sound like you've got problems. Even after my first TKR which didn't go very well I was walking with a stick only in a matter of days. They take the walker away while in hospital up here.
What happens if you just try to walk with a stick instead of the walker? The gait change may help. My hips hurt a bit when I started walking any distance with one stick but all fine when doing without one. I suspect that the body does better with symmetrical walking.
 
A (slow) progress report:
The amount of weight I can put on my leg (knee) when what passes for straight, is definitely increasing. I can walk easier on my Walker, I can "walk" upstairs - heavily relying on the strength of my arms - easier than before. Being thus encouraged I have been working the knee a lot more. I find I get a reaction in that subsequently the knee gets a bit painful and I have to take it easy for a while. However, rather than take it easy for a week or, at best, a few days, I can now rest for only a day before the knee forgives me! On a good day I can stand unaided for a minute or so, relying on my "good" leg, of course, to take most of my weight. At least, most of the time, I am not going backwards! It seems to me that pushing the knee is helping. Once I can put my full weight on it, I shall be there. When, or if, this will occur I don't know. I am expecting to be called to see my knee surgeon, who should, by now, have heard from my hip surgeon that I am in no need of a hip replacement. I am now eight months past my RTKR!
Kindest Regards, Jim
 
I’m so glad you are seeing progress. Your recovery is tougher than most and we are all hopeful that things will work out well for you.
 
It sounds as if you're making steady progress, James. Even if your progress is slow, it is progress and that's good. :yes!: :yay:
 
Hmmm, something is happening: I seem to be able to put more and more weight on the leg every day. The pain is worse when the knee flexes either under load or on release from it. A definite and increasing (I hope) improvement!
Jim.
 
Stick with it! I hope that it continues to improve.
 
Hello, Despite the pain that occurs when putting weight on my bad leg very slowly lessening and being totally pain free otherwise, I feel it is time to have words of wisdom with my Surgeon. The problem is that I don't know if I should just carry on hoping it will get better or risk a Revision (if offered.) After getting on for nine months I can walk fairly easily indoors but only using a Walker. Outside it's a wheelchair. I can walk up the house stairs by hauling myself up using the bannisters. Going downstairs is much easier. I just hope I make the right decision.

Kindest Regards Jim
 
I hope that your surgeon might give you some options between those two extremes. I have some weird problems (not nearly as severe as yours), and my surgeon has told me he does arthroscopic surgery sometimes to look around for problems like blobs of scar tissue that are getting pinched in the joint.
 
It does sound worth it to check it out with your surgeon.
 
It's a while since I posted an update on my situation so, here goes: in August I messaged my GP (using his new messaging system) asking for referral back to Surgeon. I didn't get a reply but, while waiting, I found that for the first time, while using my Walker, I could lift my "good" foot off the floor rather than slide it. The fact that my bad leg could take this extra strain was encouraging so I didn't chase up my GP.
In the intervening months, I am slowly finding I can put more and more weight on the "bad" leg before the pain kicks in and the more I can relax the leg the less chance of pain. The improvement is noticeable day by day but barely so. If I overdo it the pain, which appears to be below the top of the kneecap, let's me know it! I am hoping I will be able to walk with a stick by Christmas. If I can't then it's back to the Surgeon. I get no pain at all at rest. Flexion is excellent but extention a few degrees out. It's nearly a year since the operation.

Kind Regards, Jim
 
@JamesAB I too got similar problems 7 months P.O. I cannot straighten leg and my leg drag has I walk and swelling and pain is very bad , having to rest most of the time after work, now working part time. I walk with crutches still and plenty of sitting and I too look like ending up in a wheel chair- my surgeon told me I got to live with it or I may lose my leg- what a choice , waiting for second opinion though here in the UK we have to go to back of the list. so so-far im living with this horrendous situation.
 
I was same as you at 7 months but no pain when at rest. Swelling stopped at 8-9 months.
Good luck. Jim
 
That sounds awful. Surely it can't be right. Please get back to the surgeon - chase up that GP!
 
I see the GP to request referral back to surgeon in 10 days. ☹
 
Hello, Just seen GP who will refer me back to Surgeon. Any improvement in my condition has come to a sudden halt due to most awful Sciatica in my "good" leg. It's true to say that "I haven't got a leg to stand on." ☹
 
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. Take it easy. This too shall pass (although that's hard to believe sometimes!)
 
In the long-running saga of my recovery from my knee replacement in November 2018, some significant progress at last:
Today, for the first time since the operation, I used my Walker away from home. Just to get into the car and then from the car a few yards into my physiotherapist. Not a lot but it has now given me confidence to go out without my wheelchair and all that entails. I can now, I think, visit friends and family, should I get an invite,! as I used to ( but carefully!) Happy Christmas! ✨
 
Back
Top Bottom