TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

I can walk a bit at parallel bars at physio. 3 or 4 steps on Zimmer and a couple of steps using banister when getting upstairs to bed. I can stand almost straight with support, like at a windowsill. Otherwise I can only sit. I got the wheelchair so I have a bit of mobility downstairs and don't need to crawl from bottom of stairs to chair in front room! I can reveal that I am an expert of going up the stairs backwards on my behind! I am hoping this situation ends in due course!
 
Now some 14 weeks post operation my leg is getting stronger and although I can only put at most about a third of my body weight on it, I can walk up to about eight "steps" with a Zimmer which has elbow supports. After a few steps my knee starts to hurt but if I flex the leg or move it from side to side I can do more steps.

I can also manage to climb a few stairs relying heavily on the banisters. I am perhaps unfortunate in experiencing a slow recovery but I expect all will be well - eventually!
 
I've been following you from the start. I also deal with combined back and knee problems. You are having a tough go of it, but seem to have a good attitude!
 
Thanks, Rustic.
To my mind there is no point in getting up tight about something you have little influence on. I am extremely frustrated at my slow recovery and I do what I can to hasten it. At the end of the day it will be ok.
Jim
 
A bit concerned about continuing swelling of leg and feet (both) during the day. Don't know wether to try and mobilise the leg(s) more or spend more time elevated and icing. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Jim
 
I expect a moderator will be along to offer better advice than I can, but just wondered if you are elevating all the time you're not mobilising? That's what I would do and ice every couple of hours for an hour a time. Would wearing TEDS help too, especially as you're unable to be as mobile as you'd like just yet?
 
@JamesAB, you might want to also talk to your OS, PT, or PCP about getting and wearing some compression socks / sleeves. I had a similar problem at about 8 weeks or so where my ankles got swollen. By that time, I was on my feet more than I was elevating, I was back to work, trying to have a more normal day. My PT gave them to me before a business trip that had a 4+ hour flight that I took at 8 weeks. They were a godsend. You might give them a try.
 
A bit concerned about continuing swelling of leg and feet (both) during the day. Don't know wether to try and mobilise the leg(s) more or spend more time elevated and icing. I would be grateful for any advice
I suggest you continue to ice and elevate. The more mobile you are the more it'll swell. My feet swelled and both feet even peeled! Talking about ugly. Yuck!
 
Thanks for the replies. My PT said the more I work the leg the less the swelling is!
 
I think it depends if the swelling is in the knee or lower leg. If the knee, the more you work it, the more it swells. If the lower leg, you still need to elevate to allow the fluid to drain back to the torso via the lymphatic system, but some moderate movement allows the muscles in the legs to also help pump the fluid up also. Just standing on your feet for long periods does just the opposite. Personally, I’d focus on elevating and even some lymphatic massage to help move the fluid from the lower legs.
 
I am extremely frustrated at my slow recovery and I do what I can to hasten it.
1. There is nothing you can do to 'hasten' recovery
2. Very often what you would do to 'hasten recovery' in these circumstances are the very things that will slow it down.
Don't know whether to try and mobilise the leg(s) more or spend more time elevated and icing.
See #2 above!
My PT said the more I work the leg the less the swelling is!
It depends upon the circumstances and how far out of surgery you are. I see you are about 15 weeks out which is relatively early days. So in this situation, she is wrong!
 
Just managed to walk about 40' with Zimmer AND get past pain barrier which increased then diminished. This is a new first for me! Next I need to lift good foot off floor when walking rather than sliding it! Little swelling of leg and did an hour of gentle chair/floor based Pilates before walking. Will walk a bit more later and elevate/ice if necessary. Jim.
 
@JamesAB, good job! I know this recovery is especially slow and tedious for you, but you have a great outlook towards the final goal that I know you will reach it. Maybe not on your doc’s schedule or anyone else’s schedule, but you will get there. Keep up the good work.
 
Thanks for the encouragement. Knee is a little delicate today so I'm not doing too much. Get most pain when pressure is released from off the leg and the knee bends under no load other than the weight of the lower leg.
 
I think I'm going backwards: After congratulating myself in walking about 100 feet on my Zimmer a couple of days ago, the knee is now so painful after waking only a couple of steps I have to stop. Bring on the ice and elevation!
 
Now four months on from RTKR and due to pain in knee, I can only walk a few yards indoors using a Zimmer with forearm supports. When I say walk, I can only slide my "good" foot since to raise it off the floor is impossible due to the strain/pain on my "bad" leg. I have not heard of anyone having this trouble with walking. I have no pain sitting or lying. I'm beginning to think something is wrong and I might need a further operation.
 
When did you last talk to your OS?
 
About a month ago. Due to see surgeon 5th April.
 
Last edited:
I hope your surgeon will have some answers for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom