TKR Can't straighten leg or walk eleven weeks post op

Yours wasn't a straightforward TKR was it, so don't compare it to anyone else who didn't have the same congenital disability. Might it be worth calling your OS secretary to see if there's any possibility of bringing your appointment forward? What does your PT say? I hope you get some answers and some help.

PT doesn't seem too concerned. I'm happy enough to wait till 5th April to see surgeon in the hope I might have improved a bit! I did manage to walk down 10 stairs yesterday rather than hop. That was a first. Couldn't repeat it today though. Good days and bad days seem to alternate.

In the long, very long - running saga of my knee replacement recovery some good news: For the first time, I have been able to stand, with my Zimmer and transfer that weight not supported by the Zimmer to my "bad" leg. In addition, I was able, using the Zimmer, to walk twice around room, without the pain stopping me. A long way to go but I am looking to considerably speed things up now.

Great news, James! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
It's very encouraging that you can now bear some weight on your "bad" leg and also that you can walk more.

You may take longer than most people, but you are making progress. I'm so pleased for you.
Remember this:

Tortoise forward.PNG

Furthermore: Just back from Physio where, for the first time I was able to use a normal Zimmer. Walked about 60 feet too! Lots on parallel bars as well. Now sitting out front on the bench looking at the sea view and waiting for a cuppa....

@JamesAB well done you, how good did that feel being able to put up a post telling us you’re making progress. You’re on your way boy, the light in the tunnel is firmly on and will get brighter day by day, Keep up the good work and look forward to more progress reports from you:yahoo:

Continuing the long running saga of my recovery from a LTKR, I can "walk" a little with a normal Zimmer. When I say walk, i can't lift my "good" leg off the floor because of pain caused in the replacement knee area when too much of my weight is upon it. So, the good leg slides along the floor. How much i can walk in this manner before stopped by pain varies from 3 to 8 yards. Resting or flexing the knee allows me to continue one or two more lengths. Relying heavily on the bannisters, i can walk up 6 or 7 stairs.
I had a review with my surgeon, who I respect and have confidence in, and after discussions with my phyisio, he told me that he thinks that my knee pain could be due to the fact that I have dysplastic hips. He has asked my GP to refer me to a hip surgeon for possible hip replacement(s).

I'm sorry you have the prospect of more surgery, James, but at least your surgeon is suggesting something that might help.
Do let us know what the hip surgeon says, won't you?

I'm quite happy to have my hips replaced, they are both dysplastic and I hope replacements will allow me to walk better.
What I am concerned about is will the hip replacement reduce the knee pain when I walk. I am really keen to walk after over four months in a wheelchair. Improvement in walking has stalled recently.

@JamesAB
I needed a TKR and also both hips replaced but my OS was adamant he wanted to do the hips first because it changes the way that you walk. So, based on that I think there is every chance that having the hips done will have a positive effect on you.
Best wishes

Thank you, Bionic.
My surgeon said the same at one point but, I guess, the knee was virtually bone on bone, so he did it first.

Much to my surprised I have walked quite a bit today and almost was able to lift my good leg of the floor instead of sliding it!

Five months after total and, at the risk of appearing boring, I am still not walking properly. The best i can do is drag myself along on the Zimmer a few yards before pain in the knee stops me. 95% of the pain I get is when I put my weight or some of it on the affected leg. If I have a good day, i.e
I have several sessions on the Zimmer, then for the next couple of days i can't walk at all.
Whilst I am not easily depresed, I cannot see an end to this. I am due to have the hip replaced before too long in the hope it will stop, or at least reduce the knee pain but I have difficulty in believing this. The pain I feel is around the knee and under the knee cap (if I still have one!) and I fear an eventual revision. Has any one else been this long without being able to walk?

I know this situation must seem daunting, JamesAB, but remember that you went into your TKR with a lot of issues. Those things don't resolve quickly. What does your surgeon have to say about your prognosis?

It is possible for a bad hip to influence how your knee functions. If you have a bad hip, it's not going to get any better and it's certainly not helping your knee. So I see no reason for you not to go ahead and have the bad hip replaced. Usually recovering from a hip replacement is significantly easier than a knee, so I hope that is the case with you. I do think it's important for you to share your concerns and worries with your surgeon if at all possible. Since he knows your case better than anyone, he's the best person to tell you what the possibilities are.

But, as to your question as to whether anyone else has taken 5 month to be without pain after a TKR, I can say there have been members here who experienced lengthy recoveries. In terms of a knee replacement, 5 months is really not all that long even for a person without other medical issues. I know it's hard to be patient sometimes....especially when you are hurting. But it is important to allow your body whatever time it needs to repair itself.

Thanks for your helpful and encouraging reply, Jamie.

Kindest Regards,

Jim

I think my surgeon believes that his work has been successfully completed which is why he suspect that my dysplastic hip(s) are the cause of my knee pain. As I hve said. I only get pain when above a certain load is applied to the knee. At a guess this is about ¼ of my body weight. This pain peaks, momentarily, as the load is removed and the leg involuntarily bends. New hips are good but the jury is out on wether or not my knee pain will lessen enough for me to walk! I see the hip surgeon on May 10th

Managed to walk up three flights of stairs yesterday and did quite a bit of Zimmer work. I think my rate of improvement is increasing but if I overdo it I find I have to take it very easy for a couple of days.

Great news on the stairs!:happydance: I still have issues with stairs.

I always took an easy day or more after a busier day when I was at your stage of recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018