TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@hgarcia Nice to meet you! We do have a lot in common! How is your recovery going? Are you getting your right knee done any time soon? Thanks for the advice on the heating pad. I seem to be doing okay - still a lot of pain but I seem to be managing it better. I am walking with crutches or my cane but I still tire easily. I use the walker at night just for safety.

Hope you are having a great day!
 
Hi Lisa, just read your thread, so I am up to speed with where you are at. You made me laugh. You are at what is probably the hardest stage of your recovery. You have another knee op coming up shortly, and what are you concerned about - high heel shoes. :rofsign::rofsign:

With an attitude like yours there is no doubt in the world that you will be back in those items of torture before you can say silk seemed stockings. Go girl. Carol
 
Hi Lisa, just read your thread, so I am up to speed with where you are at. You made me laugh. You are at what is probably the hardest stage of your recovery. You have another knee op coming up shortly, and what are you concerned about - high heel shoes. :rofsign::rofsign:

With an attitude like yours there is no doubt in the world that you will be back in those items of torture before you can say silk seemed stockings. Go girl. Carol

Ha Ha - when you put it that way it seems quite silly :) Happy to hear that I am at what is likely the hardest stage of my recovery. Onward and Upward from here!:fasthorse:
 
Hi @ironman60 I will check out your thread. 8 weeks out - good for you! I am surprised how fast time is going. I am already 2 weeks out. Doing pretty well I think.
 
@71Beetle
My recovery is going great. I couldn't be more grateful for that. I just get a little concerned with my limp and stiffness. With the support on this forum, I am convinced it will get better with time. Pain is not a big issue for me thankfully, although I do have it when I overdo. My main concern is the stiffness and limp. I won't deny that it is sore and achy, but I except that as a normal thing at this point and am taking the advice that it will leave in time. I hope to be getting my right knee done very soon, but I am at the mercy of the "waiting list." My daughter is graduating from High School next Tuesday on the 27th, so I do need to wait until after that. However, I don't think that will be an issue..hahahaha. I was told that if there was a cancellation, they will call me. I can't help to wonder how many people they say that to, so I asked them, "well how many people are on the call if there is a cancellation list?" They told me that there is not a list for that....lol I am hoping that you are getting the pain under control, and it seems as though you are. Time, time, and patience is our best friend I hear. Take care!
 
Hi Lisa, just read your thread, so I am up to speed with where you are at. You made me laugh. You are at what is probably the hardest stage of your recovery. You have another knee op coming up shortly, and what are you concerned about - high heel shoes. :rofsign::rofsign:

With an attitude like yours there is no doubt in the world that you will be back in those items of torture before you can say silk seemed stockings. Go girl. Carol
That is encouraging to know! Us Lisa's aren't wimps after all!

I am vertically challenged so I never wear flats or low heel low shoes it's quite an adjustment....
'


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@hgarcia - congratulations on your daughter's graduation! My oldest son graduated high school last year - certainly a milestone isn't it?

Regarding your limp, are you using a cane? The physiotherapist at the hospital said if I am limping I should use the cane. I went for a longer walk today with my crutches. Cannot go far enough yet with the cane. Still working on that!

Do you have a set date for your next surgery if they don't fit you in if someone cancels.
 
@Tamsmom , we do have a lot in common. To be honest, I have not met a lot of tall Lisa's :)

I am most comfortable in flats but again because I am short and a bit round, I find I need the height. :heehee:
 
@71Beetle
No, I am not using a cane anymore...for 2-3 weeks now. I am actually walking very well, it is just this limp. The doctor and PT both told me I am doing very well. I just expect more ... you know how that goes. I am over it though. It will happen when it happens. I have been taking the advise and lightening up on myself.
 
Before my surgery I had two aims: firstly, to be pain free and secondly, to walk normally without my limp. For a long time I was subconsciously walking with my knee slightly bent to prevent it from locking or giving way. I seriously envisaged having to relearn how to walk properly. I've been walking aid free for about a week now and amazingly, I have no limp! I'm concentrating hard on the whole heel, ball, toe thing and trying to make sure that I brace my leg back with each step, but everyone agrees that my walking is 100% better than it was. My physio has given me specific exercises to work on my extension, as keeping my knee in a bent position for so long has tightened everything up. I'd say concentrate hard on your walking technique, I'm sure you'll eliminate your limp with time.
 
because the Tramadol and Tylenol was not doing the trick
But how much were you taking and in what frequency? I find it not uncommon that when people say they don't work, they are actually not taking enough!
I seem to have things under control and I am wondering how I can start weaning off of the Oxycodone.
You're 2 weeks out. Maybe think about this at 2 months!
I am sure if I needed to know my OS would have told me. Should I ask? Will I need this information for future?
It only matters for the surgeon.As far as we patients are concerned, one knee is as good as the next!

As for the heels, you'll find it's around 4 months before you feel comfortable even using wedges!
 
thanks for the tips @Josephine. During the day I am taking Tramadol every 4 hours with Tylenol in between. At night I take 2 Oxycodone every 4 hours. I spend most of my day icing and elevating when I am not doing my exercises, walking or sleeping. I am walking with one crutch now and expect I will be able to move to a cane soon.
 
Jolly good!

Actually, Tramadol and Tylenol work best if they are taken together.

This was my routine for around 8 weeks after my TKR

[Bonesmart.org] Canadian Girl's Journey
 
Lisa, is the Tramadol making you woozy during the day? I had to stop it even before I was allowed to drive. The oxycodone on the other hand doesn't make me feel like that at all, although I only notice if I wake up at night.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine - thanks I will try taking the Tramadol and Tylenol together. I will stick with the Oxycodone at night as it helps me to sleep.

@JustJeff, no the Tramadol does not make me woozy but the Oxycodone does. Not lightheaded, just dopey. When did you start driving? I was told it could be 6-8 weeks.
 
@71Beetle I got the go ahead from my OS PA at my 3 week checkup. I was already just on OTC meds at that point. I had no problem except I knew that a long drive was out of the question at that time due to the energy drain. The longest drive I took since then was a 40 mile round trip last week to kayak. I was okay that day but was depleted the next.
This is sort of the way I feel today after all that gardening and cooking yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I started taking tramadol this afternoon. Finding I'm a bit light headed and sleepy but not nauseous so far. Here's hoping.
 
@JustJeff Kayaking already - that is awesome. I always found getting in and out of the kayak hard on my knees but it sounds like you are doing fine.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom