TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@71Beetle I really sympathise with your financial predicament. I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks @Mai5ie. You are very kind. Things have a way of working out. If I have to go back, I have to go back. They will have to deal with my groaning and will have to make things comfortable for me. I will not be wearing a suit everyday, that's for sure. :)
 
Question: Will I be able to wear heels again anytime soon? I have a closet full of great shoes that I have not worn for a couple of years due to the pain it caused in my knees.

I really need to get my other business going. I do enjoy not having to wear a suit every day. Yoga pants and slip on shoes are so comfortable:)
 
I have no idea what mine is. I am sure if I needed to know my OS would have told me. Should I ask? Will I need this information for future?
When I went in for my six week checkup, the OS told me what mine was, and I promptly forgot. :what: He seemed happy with the choice, so I guess I'm happy too. :SUNsmile:

I think when I go back for my one-year checkup I'll ask again.
 
Question: Will I be able to wear heels again anytime soon? I have a closet full of great shoes that I have not worn for a couple of years due to the pain it caused in my knees.

I really need to get my other business going. I do enjoy not having to wear a suit every day. Yoga pants and slip on shoes are so comfortable:)
I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks so I tried on a pair of shoes with a 1 3/4 inch heel. Not too high and they were surprisingly comfortable.
 
Happy Victoria Day Lisa! When I had my spasm issue with my sciatic nerve at four weeks I used my heating pad a lot on my lower back, hip, and thigh. Never on my knee! It was my only relief. By the way, the spasms, which immobilized me for a week and a half, were not a 'typical' reaction to surgery according to my OS. I still use the heating pad if my sciatic starts giving me heck in any way.
 
71Beetle said: ↑
Question: Will I be able to wear heels again anytime soon? I have a closet full of great shoes that I have not worn for a couple of years due to the pain it caused in my knees.
I've been wondering the same thing Lisa. To say I have a lot of shoes is an understatement. I've lived in flats for longer than I care to remember, but would love to get back into heels at some point.
 
When I went in for my six week checkup, the OS told me what mine was, and I promptly forgot. :what: He seemed happy with the choice, so I guess I'm happy too. :SUNsmile:

I think when I go back for my one-year checkup I'll ask again.
Hi @Wednesday does that mean that after your six week checkup, you don't go back for a year?
 
71Beetle said: ↑

I've been wondering the same thing Lisa. To say I have a lot of shoes is an understatement. I've lived in flats for longer than I care to remember, but would love to get back into heels at some point.

I am more comfortable in flats but I am so short that I need the height sometimes. Also, I find heels make me appear thinner :heehee:
 
@71Beetle When I discussed which prosthesis would be used with my OS pre-op we were thinking Stryker Triathlon. However, many times an OS will have a selection of prostheses and in the actual planning of the surgery may decide that something else is a better fit and he may even take more than one brand or kit into the OR. Or based on what he finds when he opens the knee he may decide that one is better than another. In my case, he switched to the Depuy Attune prosthesis. Since I had a valgus deformity (knock-need) that needed to be corrected, in addition to removing the ACL (which is always done), he removed the PCL. With no PCL he had to use a model that is "Posterior Stabilized" as it then functions n place of the PCL. (My left knee has a varus deformity (bowlegged) and as long as the PCL is healthy he told me he will keep it for that type of correction.)

Most OS are familiar with most of the different brands and models that are out there. As my OS explained, he usually has 2-3 brands that he will use more than others because he like the tools that are provided with them, the results he has achieved, and the support from the company's "rep". Also, he will never just use one brand exclusively as I guess they also depend a lot on assistance from that "rep" and he finds switching between brands keeps those reps on their toes.
 
I am more comfortable in flats but I am so short that I need the height sometimes. Also, I find heels make me appear thinner :heehee:
I don't have the problem with height... I can be close to 6' in heels, but the looking thinner bit is always welcome!
 
Good for you @MCD ! Keep up the good work! I figure I will keep doing what I need to do to manage the pain. By doing this I will be able to do more exercise and heal more efficiently...I think :)

Please don't make this mistake. So many people get lured into the trap of thinking that working hard will aid their recovery. It doesn't work like that. More exercise does not equal heal more efficiently. Sometimes, too much exercise can slow down your recovery.

I sympathise with your financial situation, but your knee will take as long as it needs to heal and nothing can speed that up.
 
Hi @Celle, I did see that article but it is always good to refresh. I am trying to keep the Oxycodone to take so I can sleep tonight but the Tramadol and Tylenol are just not doing it for me. With my OS and GP offices closed until Tuesday, I am going to have to manage the pain. I am doing my exercises only to the extent that I can and not pushing myself. Some days are better than others.

My parents came for a visit today and that too my mind off of things for a bit. I slept for a couple of hours after they left. We have a couple of friends coming by tonight to play cards so hopefully my mind will be occupied then too. Hopefully the pain will be smothered by the feeling of winning in cards! :)
 
I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks so I tried on a pair of shoes with a 1 3/4 inch heel. Not too high and they were surprisingly comfortable.

Weddings are awesome! I hope you won't have to stand too much at the wedding!
 
Happy Victoria Day Lisa! When I had my spasm issue with my sciatic nerve at four weeks I used my heating pad a lot on my lower back, hip, and thigh. Never on my knee! It was my only relief. By the way, the spasms, which immobilized me for a week and a half, were not a 'typical' reaction to surgery according to my OS. I still use the heating pad if my sciatic starts giving me heck in any way.

Happy Victoria Day to you as well! We have some fireworks for tomorrow night so I don't have to go into town to see the display.

I do find the heating pad helps my sciatica. I have exercises for sciatica but they are too difficult with my knee pain.

I think my body is not used to sitting around so much!
 
@71Beetle My OS, prior to surgery, told me I could be using a walker for 6-8 weeks. After my first PT session two weeks post op I was told to ditch the walker and start using a cane. I have been walking unaided for the last three weeks or more and I am 8 weeks post op. I also have heard that if you limp use an aid. However, though I may limp a little at times I really concentrate on proper gait, heel then toe and extend to avoid doing that as much as possible.

Oh, and being an avid golfer I can understand your husband's love for his hobby, fishing. I would think, though, you being in Canada and all, we are sill talking ice fishing at this time? :realing::snow dig:
 
There's that ice fishing thing again. :realing: Ha.
Your thread goes 90 miles an hour. Hard to keep up.
Just checking up on you. I'de be afraid of falling off those heels & twisting your leg but
I am not speaking from experience. :rolleyes:
 
@ironman60 thanks for checking in :) I am doing okay thanks!
The boys were in the pool today - no ice :) the pool temperature was 72 degrees - a little cold for me considering the outside temperature was not much warmer. I don't mind the water being cool if it is hot out. My sister in law has a pool and likes to keep the temperature in the low 90's. I hate swimming in her pool - not refreshing to me at all.

You had your surgery on my middle boy's birthday. Do you have a thread I can follow so I can see your journey? If so, send me the link please.

Have a great night!
 
I feel like we have a lot in common. We are both 49, had our left knee replacement, high pain tolerance, and getting our right knee done soon. I appreciate your welcoming me to bonesmart. I had a lot of bruising. It gets worse, than better. I would have freaked out about it if it weren't for a nurse telling me before I left the hospital, "some patients legs bruise so bad they look like they are going to fall off". I think your right about your boss....hahaha! At least you have a sense of humor toward it. He obviously has no clue about TKR. Some people like to just say things when they have no clue. They told me that heating pad is not good because you might fall asleep. They want us to be careful with burns and also burns from ice. They said make sure there is a thin towel between leg and ice. A rowing machine probably won't be a good idea until you can get on the bike. But I'd check with the PT regarding that. I hope the pain control is coming along for you. It is a balancing act trying to manage it and not take more than your comfortable with. It works out little by little. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing your journey. Take care!
 
Back
Top Bottom