TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

@MCD, what were you taking before Tramadol? The only thing I find with Tramadol is that I lose my appetite. A few bites of anything and I am done. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. :)
 
I slept for 4 hours straight last night Woo Hoo! It was the pain that woke me up telling me the meds had worn off but I was excited for the stretch of sleep. I am still sleeping on the couch as getting the leg up on the high bed that we have is still too painful. I am fully set up in the family room so I don't mind. My husband is a snorer as well so at least it is quiet here and I don't have to have the added frustration of his snoring :) He is going away on a fishing trip with our two younger boys tomorrow so I will be on dog duty. My oldest son will be home and will take our pup for his walks but I will need to be on call in the morning as nothing gets my son out of bed if he is not working!

I was able to sit out in the sun a bit yesterday. It felt so good. Today is going to be another nice day so I will take advantage of it again.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!
 
Hmm perhaps I should go back on Tramadol. I'm getting my appetite back.

Btw, I had to learn a new method of entering and exciting the kayak. Straddling on the back and sliding up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
@JustJeff - amazing how we find more comfortable ways of doing things. Very resourceful of you!
 
I was on hydro morphone before. It did depress my appetite somewhat and I think the tramadol is as well, but that is really not a bad thing and my dog is delighted.
We have a raised bed as well. When we got it several years ago my husband made me a step platform so I could get up on it easier. Our Boston's were elderly then as well so needed the help also. I'm only 5'2" but my husband is 6' so the bed is ideal for him but if I sit on the edge I can't reach the ground.
 
I felt downright weird on Tramadol. I could see things floating in front of my eyes and if I tried to read I was seeing double and the words were floating off the page.
 
I'm feeling a little weird on the tramadol as well. Flashback to the sixties! Funny, the hydro morphine didn't affect me as much and it's a much stronger drug. Not really a problem since I'm not handling any heavy machinery and my husband will drive me where ever I want to go. I'm just being careful while quilting.
 
@MCD, I never thought of using a step for the bed. I use one to get into the car (SUV) because I am too short to just sit and bring my legs around. Funny that Tramadol makes you feel a little weird. I don't get that feeling at all. I don't know what Hydro morphine is so I cannot comment.

@Mai5ie what are you using if you are not using Tramadol?
 
Darn, the Tramadol doesn't hurt my appetite.:sad: In fact, I'm not sure it really does much of anything. It's funny how we all react differently to different medications.
 
@71Beetle I had such awful issues with sickness, that the hospital staff put down to a reaction to medication, while I was in hospital, that I eliminated all but paracetamol and ibuprofen before I came home.
 
4th PT appointment today. It went quite well. She has never checked ROM and I don't ask. I start group therapy at the hospital on Monday so that may be different. I get my staples out tomorrow and see my doctor for the first time since coming home from the hospital.

I am pretty pleased with how things are progressing. I am down to one crutch when walking; my exercises have improved dramatically and I have a sense of calm. Now, I am still medicating with Oxycodone every 4 hours so that may have something to do with these successes :)

BoneSmart has been a big part of my rehabilitation. Everyone is so encouraging and positive. I have learned so much about every aspect of TKR rehabilitation and I will be much better prepared for my next surgery. Thank you to everyone that has responded to my questions, who has offered an encouraging word and who has dropped by to offer up their experiences with similar situations. I am truly appreciative.

Team Work Makes the Dream Work!:flwrysmile:
 
@Mai5ie is that enough to keep your pain down? I just assumed you were Superwoman dealing with the pain on your own! :)
 
@71Beetle The first few weeks were uncomfortable because of the swelling, tightness and bruising, but if I'm honest, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I'm not really feeling any pain now, I just get stiffness if I've been sitting or lying too long. I don't think I have a particularly high pain threshold, maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. It's exactly 7 weeks today since my operation and I can honestly say I'm so glad I had it done. My walking is 100% better than it was and I have no arthritic pain! I need to work on my fitness now, because exercising was impossible before.
 
@Mai5ie - that is comforting to know. I can't wait to be at the stage that you are at! Will you need to get your other knee done as well? I am looking forward to having my right one done in July so that I can focus on my fitness as well.
 
so glad to hear you are doing well Mai5ie it sounds as though this really helped you. It is good to hear the positive stories of recovery. thanks for sharing
 
@71Beetle My left knee seems fine at the moment, thankfully. Fingers crossed that it stays that way!
 
Well I had a heck of a day today. Went to the hospital for post-op check up and to get my staples removed. I took pain meds 45 minutes before. It was like I did not take anything at all. Getting the staples out was painful! I have no clue when I became such a wimp.

My OS wanted to see how my bend was and he was not happy. Pushed my foot to where it should be and the pain was excruciating. I screamed and the tears started flowing. He comforted me and said it will get better but that I need to push myself more. I was in tears all the way home - a mix of pain and frustration. My whole leg is sore. I slept for 3 hours as soon as I got home.

I thought I was doing so well and felt I was improving. I honestly thought I could start going into work part time next week. This has completely taken the wind out of my sails.

I start group physio at the hospital on Monday and see my OS again next Wednesday as he wants to see where I am with the bend.

It has been rainy and cool the past two days so I have not been going out. I am sure that this has something to do with my mood. I know that this is just a bump in the road and that it too shall pass but I just needed to vent.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
 
Back
Top Bottom