TKR Canadian Girl's Journey

I thought I was doing well as well, until my PT came today. He said my ROM isn't improving (75) and he thinks my OS will recommend a MUA. He told me to work harder, no pain, no gain. I've been depressed since then dammit.
 
Well I had a heck of a day today. Went to the hospital for post-op check up and to get my staples removed. I took pain meds 45 minutes before. It was like I did not take anything at all. Getting the staples out was painful! I have no clue when I became such a wimp.

My OS wanted to see how my bend was and he was not happy. Pushed my foot to where it should be and the pain was excruciating. I screamed and the tears started flowing. He comforted me and said it will get better but that I need to push myself more. I was in tears all the way home - a mix of pain and frustration. My whole leg is sore. I slept for 3 hours as soon as I got home.

I thought I was doing so well and felt I was improving. I honestly thought I could start going into work part time next week. This has completely taken the wind out of my sails.

I start group physio at the hospital on Monday and see my OS again next Wednesday as he wants to see where I am with the bend.

It has been rainy and cool the past two days so I have not been going out. I am sure that this has something to do with my mood. I know that this is just a bump in the road and that it too shall pass but I just needed to vent.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Hi @71Beetle

Sorry you had a bad day.

You are doing well and you are improving! It's just unfortunate that your OS is one of the old-school types who believes in "No pain, no gain." Sheesh! It's only 19 days since your surgery. What does he expect?

What he did to your knee was cruel. Please don't ever let anyone do that again. Yell, scream, do whatever you have to, to stop that sort of assault.

Working harder at this stage will not give you more ROM. It will irritate those healing tissues and delay your recovery - so don't do it. Just concentrate on reducing the swelling in your knee. It will still be swollen internally, even if your leg doesn't look swollen. Rest, Ice, Elevate - even more than you have been doing - and only do gentle exercises. I bet that, once the swelling is gone, you will find the knee bend was there all the time!

This is a long recovery, a marathon, not a sprint, and we prefer "No pain, More gain." It works better.

Oh, and don't even think about going in to work yet. It's far too early. Overdo it now and you run the risk of developing chronic inflammation that could go on for months.
 
Lisa,
I am horrified by the treatment from your OS, you are still early in your recovery, and are doing just fine.
Do not let anyone push you like this again.
I will be curious about how you knee will feel in the morning after this assault.
I agree with Celle's post.
@MCD @71Beetle here are some links to articles in the library about ROM
MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) and Adhesions
MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" JBJS
 
@MCD I am sorry that you are having troubles with your ROM as well. I don't mind a bit of muscle pain - I was a runner for long enough to appreciate it but the pain I went through felt more like a ripping than tension. UGH. Do you think MUA is a good thing?

@Celle thanks for your inspiring words.

@Mamahut sleepy and groggy are awesome. I wish I could sleep until I can bounce out of bed and walk 5K. That would be nice!

@Pumpkln I will read these articles again. I read them all previously but now they will have more meaning!
 
After reading the articles about it, no I'm not ready for a MUA. I think my problem yesterday was caused by being out and about Thursday. I noticed last night that my ankle and leg were quite swollen so I probably overdid it Thursday. I am not going to exercise to the point of pain and will not let anyone cause pain to me unnessarily. I worked too long in a law office, that is called assault!
 
Good for you @MCD I just want this all to be over. I am keeping positive because I know that in the end it will all be worth it :)
 
@71Beetle Your surgery was only 3 weeks ago, stop being so hard on yourself! You shouldn't even be thinking about work just yet and NO-ONE should be hurting you. Relax, don't push yourself too hard, your bend will come if you allow yourself to heal.

I've spent a lovely couple of hours at my grandson's eighth birthday party today. He had a magician, party games, food and a session making balloon animals. Feet up for me now though.
 
@Mai5ie Thanks for your kind words. I am working on my bend and I do think I am getting a bit more of a bend. I have been taking a few steps unassisted as well so I am pleased with my progress. I am happy to have found this site or I would be clueless on the rehabilitation.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time at your grandson's birthday party. My 3 boys are all teens now (13, 15 and 18) and I kind of miss the parties we used to have for them. Now they grab a friend and go to the movies. My youngest had a sleepover with 6 of his friends for his 13th birthday but that is not really far from a regular weekend. We always have a bunch of boys at our house. We have a large loft over the garage and that is where they all hang out. Pool table, air hockey, video games, etc. We put a swimming pool in a couple of years ago as well so our house has become the place to go. I don't mind at all - at least I can keep an eye on them :). My mom says they will never leave home at this rate :)
 
Hey Beetle, You should have smacked that OS up side the head.
Easy to say. That is what my PT did to me a couple times. the last one set me back a long time.
And as the people on here told you they said "Don't ever let anyone hurt you like that again"
I have had a lot of physical pain in my life & he hurt me more than I had ever been hurt.
Fortunately he was a PT & not the OS so I talked to his boss & sent him packing.
Now that you know that that might happen you have to say something ahead of time.
Remember you are the boss & you are paying him.
 
@ironman60, I was not expecting it. I know he felt bad. I will definitely not allow it to happen again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent the last three days following the mantra, and gentle exercise, and my ROM is now what it was before surgery, the Bonesmart way works!
 
I am very pleased, and was very surprised when I saw my leg bending that much. Just wanted you to know that what you hear here works!
This was a revision so my ROM was only OK before, and now it is again. Who knows I may end up with more.
 
I had a TKR in 2011, it was unstable so I had what is called a revision. They took the old implant out, and put in a new one this April. The surgery report is 3 pages long, the surgery was almost 2 hours.
 
Wow, @Pumpkln, I am sorry that you had to go through that. Did the first one never heal for you? What would cause it to be unstable?
 
It was unstable because I had a near miss fall, and stretched out the ligaments around my knee, leading to flexion instability. It did not help that the implant was a size too large. I could not sleep through the night with out excruciating pain. The knee healed up pretty well, nice scar and all.
 
What would cause it to be unstable?

what is a revision?

Lisa, When I was a kid we had an old medical dictionary. Whenever I read it I used to convince myself that I had that ailment. When I got to the Ps - plague, pneumonia, polio I thought it best to stop. I was scarring myself to death - oh yes the Ds came early in the alphabet, so for several days I thought I was dead:heehee:.

I guess you know where I am going with this. Bonesmart is a fantastic resource and people bend over backwards to be helpful. But its not hard to end up like me and my medical dictionary - especially if things are going slower than you feel they should be. @Pumpkln would be one of the first to endorse this I'm sure.

There are things that go wrong with TKRs, but the vast majority of people have very little problems. From reading your thread you sound like you are one of them. Keep me posted. Carol
 
@Pumpkln - yikes, that sounds painful. I am pleased that you are healing from that.

@patient 99, that is too funny! Good thing you were able to stop yourself from going any further with your medical dictionary! I am not concerned about needing a revision, I am just a curious person. My nickname at work is Curious George :)

I think I am doing quite well in my recovery, just a bit concerned about the bend...I have physio at the hospital this afternoon so I hope I can improve it.
 
Back
Top Bottom