THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebrand, octopus, Littlejem, Kim22, I think the friend/ disability/ dealing with illness issue is universal. I also had the experience where good friends and family members barely called, and people who are newish friends and acquaintances really stepped up to help. Several years ago, I had a friend (she was actually my dance teacher) who had brain cancer. She had all these devoted followers, but no one would go see her because they couldn't "handle" how sick she was. I even had a good friend of mine question why I was helping my teacher so much-- it wasn't as if she was my family. I asked the "good friend," what if it was you? Wouldn't you want me to be there for you? When my teacher died, the school where she taught held a big tribute for her, and it was all I could do not to explode to all these people, where were you when Donna was alive and needed your help? I eventually came to realize that people do what they can. Sometimes that's not very much. I think we're all pretty lucky-- we're going to come out of this surgery better than we were before. Going through this does help you figure out who your true friends are, but some people are just bad at this-- I try to be forgiving. I'm sure I've neglected friends when they were going through hard times, too, even inadvertently.
 
Note to self: be a better friend in future to those people I know who are struggling, rather than wait for them to be back to 'normal'.
I agree with this too. Prior to surgery, lots of people from work said they would come visit me at home. Offers of meals were made. Well only 1 workmate came, once. She did bring a lasagne, which was delicious, but she couldn't stay. All I wanted was someone to talk to over a coffee. When I rocked up to work last week, all those people came up to me with "sorry I didn't come visit, I was going to, too busy etc etc etc" If only they knew how much a 1/2 hour visit would have been so appreciated.
So, I guess I only have 2 real friends. One came everyday for 2 weeks after my op, then every second day, and still comes with me to shopping, doctors etc. My other friend works but comes on all of her days off, always with a meal or two.
Note to self: when people have things going on, a chat and a prepared meal mean everything.
 
Since Tuesday I have developed a sharp pain in my new hip area. It feels like it is sending sharp shoots of pain down through my leg. It's not constant, but maybe every few minutes, even if I am sitting doing nothing. I've noticed my scar area feels more swollen than it had, and I'm limping more heavily to try and accommodate the pain.

One of those things, or something I need to do something about? I did a search on here and couldn't find anything similar that wasn't a major problem, so I stopped looking.

I'm 8 weeks post op today, and this is my first week back at work. And yes, I think that may be relevant - but I haven't been breaking my restrictions or pushing my luck with it.
 
Thanks Elosarabrab. I've just phoned my GP but can't get an appointment until the week after next. I'm thinking it may be something like tendonitis, but my understanding of anatomy is woeful. The pain moves around the hip, but it is basically any point on the width of my hand if wrapped around the side of my hip. If that makes any sense at all.
 
Firebrand, Elosarabrab, it's after midnight in the UK so Josephine probably won't get your tag till tomorrow. Firebrand, I get the same thing sometimes if I overdo it. What have you been up to? Are you icing? Still taking any pain killers? Try resting, icing, gentle stretching , gentle walking this weekend when you're not working. I hope you feel better soon. (Ice is my best friend. I keep an ice wrap at work.)
 
I had some groin pain and my PT had me lay down on a fairly low surface. The side that hurt facing the edge of the platform, I put my leg down on the floor so that there was a slight pull in my groin. If you can't put your foot on the floor she suggested a phone book or something...you shouldn't be dangling. You can position your hip so you feel a pull...it took away the groin pain after doing it only a short time. I have had spasms off and on and I'm 10 weeks..my PT said I am still swollen which means I'm still healing. I have slowed down my pace and today I had the best day since my surgery. I really think we expect miracles and our bodies tell us we're only human!!
 
Thanks BarbaraR and acbelmar. I know that this sudden onset of a new pain must be linked to my return to work, as the two things have happened together.

I've looked up the info on the IT band here and elsewhere, and will try the stretches. From looking at diagrams of the hip, I think this is my iliac crest?

I'll be honest and say that I am worried as the pain is a 4-5, and strikes when I am doing simple things that I have done no with no problem over the last few weeks of recovery (eg standing still and waiting for the kettle to boil just now). But it is the area that has been giving me milder pain in bed at night when the pillow falls out from between my legs.

We have a NHS drop in clinic that I might try this weekend, as my GP appointment isn't for a week and a half.
 
Lots of trauma happens with THR surgery, and odd pains and aches can pop up and continue for quite some time, I am sure it is your body realigning and healing, but we will get Jo's opinion :)
 
Sorry to be so tardy but I had two days of work and it about wiped me out! :zzz:

Firebrand, the best thing I can do to start with is to ask you to indicate exactly where the pain is using this grid. I need a vertical reference as well as horizontal.

[Bonesmart.org] Can you hear me from the other side?
 
Hi Josephine, thanks for helping. I would say R1, 2. The pain wraps horizontally around the outside of my hip, around the length of my hand.
 
Many thanks Josephine. Much appreciate your time and help. I was fretting as the pain was shooting through me in different places, but having read that article it ticks all the boxes. Unfortunately I couldn't get to see my GP for a week and a half, so I guess I just need to ice in the meantime.
 
Indeed. Get a nice big ice pack and sling it on your seat before you sit down. That's what I did and it was utter bliss!
 
I'm now 9 weeks post op. Since I last posted, the sharp pain has continued. I managed to get an
appointment with my GP, who looked at the amount of swelling, examined the area, listened to me talk about what causes the pain, and signed me off sick for two weeks. So I am now at home again, having lasted two weeks at work.

Today I saw my surgeon, and he diagnosed https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/trochanteric-bursitis-with-thr.5389/ (thanks so much Josephine for your excellent diagnosis above). Which was a huge relief to me as I was feeling quite scared by the pain that has been shooting around. So I am going to rest up for a while, ice and if it doesn't go in a couple of months, get a cortisone injection.

For what it is worth, I think that the shift from having been pottering gently at home for weeks, to commuting and working in the office (sitting in lots of meetings, etc) was a bit too much of a challenge for me. And my phased return fell apart quite early on. So for anyone reading this who is looking at their return to the workplace, please ensure that your phased return is a real one for you.

My surgeon also said that he was happy for me to lift all restrictions (one of his colleagues told me they were to remain in place to the end of the year if not life!), so long as I listened to my new hip and tried things out gently with it, allowing it to protest, rather than forcing it into doing something suddenly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom