Guest viewing is limited

THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebrand, when people make comments about not being as far along as THEY think you should be, you should send them to youtube to see one of the videos of the surgery. That should put an end to those comments. :)

Sharon
 
I am going through the same kind of pain. I have been for the past couple of weeks. I had been more active (walking, stationary bike) plus I have been back at work since week 6. Mine hit while at the grocery store. walking to the car was difficult. I see my GP today. I have been dealing with it with OTC Tylenol & Ibuprofen and icing..
 
Hi Firebrand It's nice to hear from you and I am so glad that the bursitis cleared up all by itself which means no injection of cortisone and more importantly you can start to look forward to your holiday in Turkey. I think many of us have unrealistic expectations of recovery I know I had. I have tendonitis of the rectus femeris muscle resulting in groin pain so I have had to modify my expectations big style. It's good that you coped so well at the conference even though you had the comments about the stick. I wouldn't worry about too much about that you will get rid of it when the time is right for you.I think that coping so well at the conference shows how well you are doing.
 
I am going through the same kind of pain. I have been for the past couple of weeks. I had been more active (walking, stationary bike) plus I have been back at work since week 6. Mine hit while at the grocery store. walking to the car was difficult. I see my GP today. I have been dealing with it with OTC Tylenol & Ibuprofen and icing..
Hi nessiepie - what did your GP say?
 
Hi Firebrand It's nice to hear from you and I am so glad that the bursitis cleared up all by itself which means no injection of cortisone and more importantly you can start to look forward to your holiday in Turkey. I think many of us have unrealistic expectations of recovery I know I had. I have tendonitis of the rectus femeris muscle resulting in groin pain so I have had to modify my expectations big style. It's good that you coped so well at the conference even though you had the comments about the stick. I wouldn't worry about too much about that you will get rid of it when the time is right for you.I think that coping so well at the conference shows how well you are doing.
I think that I may have spoken too soon. I just went for a walk to the library and back - 30 min round trip, and I was getting the stabbing pain every 10 mins or so. I am soooo slow when I walk, and everything is feeling stiff still. I am aiming to go for a swim this week and see if that helps loosen things up.
 
Hi Firebrand,
My GP said it may be soft tissue healing. There is no bruising he checked rhe incision and didn't see
Anything wrong. He ordered xray to be safe. I had that done this morning. The
Results will be in next week. We will see then. I will make sure my OS gets a copy too.
 
Sorry to hear that Firebrand Is the pain in the outer thigh ?
It's pretty much where the leg joins the hip. But whereas my scar is vertical, this pain is horizontal - it's the same as if I wrap my hand (thumb/index finger) round the outside of my hip.

I'm sorry that I only every seem to come on here to whinge. But I really can't cope with shuffling along the road when I walk, and haven't booked a holiday as I can't see me having much fun the way I feel now. The idea of walking any slight distance fills me with dread.

I bumped into a neighbour who is a retired nurse who suggested private physio would probably help, so I've gone online and emailed a couple of places to see if they have experience treating this.
 
Firebrand That's a really good idea and it should mean that you see a physio who has treated this problem before I hope it's a success for you. Don't worry about sharing your concerns on here. You are certainly not whinging as like me you just want to get back to being able to walk pain free and enjoy things like holidays Let us know what the physios opinion is.I hope you have enjoyed soaking up the Vitamin D this weekend.
 
Hi, Firebrand. I am sorry to be so late to your thread. I read it all and really am sorry for this setback, but a private physic sounds promising. I hope you get some answers. I read with admiration and trepidation your going back to work saga---and it truly is a saga for us, isn't it---including the subway. I have not visited London in more than ten years, but remember being so impressed with how sanely Londoners go up the up staircase, single file.
Not like NYC, where it's free for all, everyone going up the down and down the up and total chaos. It sounds like London may have changed, unfortunately. I hope the work situation has improved for you. I would not be able to take the subway, that's for sure, but I am lucky to have a bus I can take. That'll be a big enough challenge. I hope you don't feel bad about coming here to whinge. You have every right to just want to get your life back and feel upset when it isn't there. That's why we've had this surgery. So whinge away, though we don't think of it as whinging at all. Good luck to you!
 
Hi Firebrand so sorry to hear things are still quite hard for you. The private physio does sound like a good plan, as does making sure they have some experience with this. Good luck, I hope they can help you make some progress. Thinking of you.
 
Hi there hippies.

I'm 16 weeks post op today, and it's fair to say that recovery has been a game of two halves for me really. the immediate recovery was pretty straightforward. It's been the getting more normal 'healing' that has been hard.

Today I had my third private physio appointment. I've been going each Friday for three weeks, and I think that I can really notice the difference that it has made to me. I do her exercises twice a day, and she does some deep tissue massage. The problem seemed to step from having limped for so long pre- and post-op, the muscles on mu operated side had knotted and atrophied. Today I walked to the shops without a stick... and I was fine, albeit slow. But I wasn't having to drag my leg when it got tired which I had been doing. The swelling is still quite pronounced though (it looks like I'm carrying a large potato in my back pocket!). But my goal is to be able to enjoy going on holiday in July, without being miserable with pain.

Something quite odd though, the cold that I haven't gotten rid of for months, turns out to be hay fever. I thought it was one of those things you either have or don't, I didn't realise you can get it as a bonus in middle age!
 
Hi Firebrand I many that went through this at the same time are checking in. This recovery thing is such a balancing act isn't it? Too much activity and we pay for it, but we get so impatient to be totally normal. I'm glad you found a physio that can help you. It is a really long-term journey. One week I'll be zipping around and the next I need to scale back. I'm realizing the muscles are a tougher thing to deal with than just putting in a new hip joint. Hang in there and we'll all get to where we want to go when our bodies want us to. I find this has caused me to really listen to what my body is telling me and that is a good thing.
 
Hi Firebrand Its great news that the physio sessions are making a difference and you are walking without your stick.I am so glad that you can now look forward to your pain free holiday in July. Shame about the hay fever but at last you know what you are dealing with and you can get appropriate treatment.I have heard of others developing allergies in middle age apparently it can happen at any time.
 
Hi there hippies.

I'm 16 weeks post op today, and it's fair to say that recovery has been a game of two halves for me really. the immediate recovery was pretty straightforward. It's been the getting more normal 'healing' that has been hard.

The swelling is still quite pronounced though (it looks like I'm carrying a large potato in my back pocket!). But my goal is to be able to enjoy going on holiday in July, without being miserable with pain.

Something quite odd though, the cold that I haven't gotten rid of for months, turns out to be hay fever. I thought it was one of those things you either have or don't, I didn't realise you can get it as a bonus in middle age!
Your recovery seems very similar to mine, no problems to speak of in the initial 8 weeks but some days I feel like it's going from bad to worse! (I'm almost 15 weeks). That swelling sounds painful, I hope you get your pain reduced for your holiday in July. I had the opportunity to go to Italy and Paris in May and June this year, but among other reasons decided not to because it was reasonably close to surgery and I had no idea how recovery would go. I'm so pleased now, I wouldn't have coped well at the moment walking around all day, carrying bags etc. Oh no not hayfever on top of everything else! I hope you are not getting it too bad, but at least there's things you can take to help.

Hi designergirl! I hope everything is going well for you. :)
 
Hi there forum. So I am 6 months post op now. The bursitis proved to be a tough one to overcome. Going to a private physio really helped me work through the various issues that having limped so much pre-op had done to weaken my muscles. She gave me some quite specific exercises to build up my bum and thigh, and then the area around my knee which was also giving me problems.

The good news is that I have just returned from a two week holiday in Turkey, and I am pleased to say that I managed without a stick the whole time. The only really tricky thing was getting in and out of the sea, as it was very wavy and I got scared about losing my footing and dislocating my hip. But it all went well.

I did however set off the security alarm at Heathrow airport. I explained to the security guard about the hip, and she gave me the most thorough search I have ever had. I then set off the alarm at Istanbul airport, my husband explained to security and they were fine about it. I am not looking forward to having to repeat the treatment at Heathrow each time I fly now...
 
Ah, bursitis. Oh yeah. But sounds like you are in control now, and you had a great trip to prove it.

Different airports have different scanners, and some seem to be more sensitive than others. At first, I was all about not wanting to go through the high-tech scanners, so I was getting the pat-downs everywhere. (and I do mean everywhere!) That got old quickly! Now I tell the security agent right away that I am packing metal in my hips, and I get directed to the scanner, and it isn't a problem. I guess if I flew really often, I would pay for the security clearance that a lot of airlines are now offering. But for the three or four times a year that I fly, at most, I guess I'll just put up with the scanners....or the pat-downs.

Anyway Firebrand, it's great to hear that you are doing so well. Keep it up. :)

Sharon
 
Firebrand I have flown in and out of Heathrow several times since my THR and never set off any alarms. I did when I went through security at Eurostar though. I always go early so that if there is no female guard I have a buffer of time for them to find one. Glad you enjoyed your trip!
 
I told the security guard about my hip before I went through, but of course it is their job to check.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom