THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck for next week at work.. The energy drain is real and lasted for several months for me, be gentle with yourself is the key :)
 
Hi Firebrand....I am sure its the case that as you get stronger you begin to wake up those tissues and muscles that suffered the most....and there are healing pains of course not to be confused with distress pain....to play safe us hippies need to remember that part of the mantra...if it hurts don't do it.....did you say that you commute into London....can you go and avoid the rush hour periods for the first few week?
 
Hi Firebrand

Apologies for not posting on your thread for a while. I've been super busy just getting back into the swing of 'normal' life.

I've just caught up with what's going on in your world. I'm very impressed with how you've coped going back to work and dealing with journeys on a packed commuter train. I'm not sure I would've managed quite so well at your stage of the proceedings. I get the impression that you're a very strong minded lady. An attribute that will be an immense help. People do have very short memories and the vast majority of us are left to just get on with it.
As you know I'm a 1950's styled housewife and therefore haven't had to deal with going back to work issues and hurdles so, without wanting to sound at all patronising, I think you should give yourself a huge pat on the back.

I sometimes get that sharp stabbing pain in my rump. I put it down to some of the muscles waking up that have been out of use for a while. It bloomin' hurts though don't it?!!

I think you've made the right decision to ease yourself back into work. There's absolutely no point in overdoing things at this point in your recovery. It's still very early days for you. Your colleagues might not fully understand this, but all your friends here on BS do. Your health is the most important factor and I'm pleased you managed to come to an arrangement with your boss.

I hope you've been able to make the most of your week off work, although shopping for school uniform wouldn't be top of my 'fun things to do in the holidays' list!!

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx
 
I hope your return to work this week goes well. I start back for a few hours per day on Thursday. It's going to be s shock to the system, for sure. Hopefully not too shocking.
 
and it seems to be my knee in my operated leg that is putting up most resistance. I guess I have not used it properly for so long so that it is unused to it. But I feel like jelly when I get home, as if I have just run a marathon.
Firebrand
Hi There,
I have the same problem at my knee on the unoperated leg...
I just caught up with your thread. It seems you have a long way to the Office, correct. I would be scared at the tube with the risk of being hit by the crowd especially at the operated leg. I would definetely carry the cane or the crutch in those circumstances...
Did the swelling around the incision area totally disseapered with you? Mine is still kind of warm and there is still a little sweling or the fat on my hip trying to get back to its territory!
 
sansabosa, warmth around the incision area means there is good blood supply to the area.. I often find at 16 months + that my operated thigh is warmer than the other..

Of course if there are other inflammatory symptoms then that is different :)
 
sansabosa, yes I also have the heat and swelling on my scar. Sometimes the swelling is more noticeable than others - but I can usually cup my hand over it. I try and ice it while I have a rest and that certainly makes things feel better. (My husband is in Istanbul at the moment by the way, I think he brought the English rain with him for you!)

I've had a few short walks outside without the cane, but for my commute I'll definitely be using it for a while longer. Even if people can't/won't see it, I'm not adverse to being loud and using it to get a seat if necessary. I've reduced my actual hours in the office so that I travel outside of rush hour, but even then the trains can get busy.

I just went out with my son for a short trip to the supermarket to pick some things up for lunch, I was probably out for about an hour and a half, and it was the first time I haven't needed to sit down while I was out. The stiffness in my operated hip and the knee on that side is gradually loosening up, only to be replaced by pain in the hip and knee on the 'good' side! I know my limp was terrible pre-op, so all of this is going to be my body adjusting to being upright again.
 
Firebrand
Thats great progress and sense of freedom, isnt it? To be able to go shopping without feeling tired...
Your hubby definitely brought English weaher to IStanbul! Its raining, raining , raining!
I also am not working full time, physically at the office. Getting in slightly late, around 10:00 and leaving around 16:00. Manageable... And also it helps the people around me to keep it short during the meetings and 1:1s )))
Last weekend, it was my first attempt to go out without the cane, kind of psychological situation as if ı forgot my wallet at home)))
Do you need amnything from istanbul that ı can send to u by our husband?
Cheers
 
Hi sansabosa. Sorry about the rain! Thanks for the offer, but I'm fairly sure he will be bringing back a suitcase full of walnuts and pestil!
 
It's raining at last here too. We're into day 2 of wind and rain, I'm certainly glad not to be going to work just yet. The only problem is that it keeping me indoors, as I can't get the dressing on my toe wet, and can't put any shoes on. Perfect days for lazing in bed and watching tv! :)
 
Hi Firebrand have you gone back into work today, how did it go? I'm going to try a few hours in work tomorrow see how it goes.
 
Hi Selin, sansabosa, I'm doing really well, off to work later in the week. I'll be posting an update later today.
 
Hi

I went into work yesterday, and it was a lot better experience than over Easter. What a difference that week off made to my strength.

I got in at 9.45am and it was a good time for the train as it wasn't too busy. I took a roll for lunch with me in my bag, which meant I didn't have to navigate the canteen with a tray and lots of people at lunchtime when I might be feeling a bit wobbly. I went straight into a meeting with some suppliers who weren't very happy, and was pleased that my brain functioned well throughout which was the thing I was worrying most about with a proper return to work (I've been finding myself forgetting words and getting detail wrong previously - what I do when tired).

Two things that didn't work so well:
- my boss insisted on putting an extra meeting in my diary, which extended my day at work to 5.15pm - despite me agreeing my hours with him. I will follow that up with him today to point out the consequences of his actions. The worst thing was, I didn't even need to be in the meeting, it was him panicking rather than taking the time to think things through.

- I had taken a cushion into work with me for when I have to sit in meetings that have uncomfortable chairs. One of my colleagues came up to me and made a joke about it, asking if I have to use it due to having piles. I wish I'd said yes. Instead I sat and wondered at the stupidity of some people.

As an aside, I don't think that (we) British people are very good at knowing how to deal with issues around illness, disability, - bodies generally? etc, as we tend to treat such things as private and not to be talked about. Maybe I'm wrong, but very few of what I had considered my good friends have been in touch, to offer help or support while I've been recovering. Apart from one friend who has had both hips and elbows replaced over the years. Maybe it is largely to do with the individuals own experience that tempers how they react?
 
I'm pleased that your return to work went much better, except for the extra meeting and the stupid cushion person! I've found the same with family and friends. Prior to surgery there were offers of meals, I haven't had one. Some friends haven't even visited in the whole six weeks, and yet today I had some business contacts come to see me at my home and bring lunch. I don't think it's that people don't care, maybe they don't know what to do or say, but I also think that modern life has placed such huge demands on everyone that they are so busy just trying to cope with their own lives, there not much energy or time left for anything else. I think most people would be amazed that it been six weeks since surgery already. (I'm trying to give them all the benefit of the doubt). :)
 
It's funnily isn't it how the kindness comes from unexpected sources? I think that you are right that with our lifestyles it isn't always possible to be the type of friend to someone that they would want us to be. And I think that perhaps we become viewed slightly differently when 'less than' on a long-term basis. One friend suggested a trip to Kew gardens - I had to point out at that stage I couldn't even walk to the end of the road, but would settle for a coffee. Didn't happen.

Note to self: be a better friend in future to those people I know who are struggling, rather than wait for them to be back to 'normal'.
 
How true that is Firebrand When I had breast cancer, a supposedly, really good friend was heard to say she couldn't come and visit me as it was too upsetting for her, needless to say she is no longer a friend!! :gaah:

I like your 'note to self' and will try to copy it
 
Hi Firebrand I agree with Janet and also like your note to self and will try to bear it in mind for the future. This journey has been a learning curve in more than one way.
 
How true that is Firebrand When I had breast cancer, a supposedly, really good friend was heard to say she couldn't come and visit me as it was too upsetting for her, needless to say she is no longer a friend!! :gaah:
Urgh Littlejem, how horrible that must have been for you.

Kim22 you are so right, this experience has been a real learning curve for me, never having gone through something so physically and mentally debilitating as this has been at times - albeit only temporarily in my case.

The nearest I've come to it previously was telling people that my son is autistic, and then having to deal with their reactions. Discussing mental health and learning difficulties is a whole other ball game. Genuine ignorance is one thing (by which I mean a lack of understanding), but I'm afraid I can be very unforgiving of other people's stupidity at times. That's probably one of the reasons I have ended up quite such a firebrand.

(I'll put my soapbox away and go and cook dinner now I think...)
 
How true that is Firebrand When I had breast cancer, a supposedly, really good friend was heard to say she couldn't come and visit me as it was too upsetting for her, needless to say she is no longer a friend!! :gaah:

I like your 'note to self' and will try to copy it
Littlejem Hi Janet its unbelievable how selfish some people can be and the fact that you considered her a good friend makes it even worse.Sorry you had to go through that but I bet you have loads of good and genuine friends x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom