Guest viewing is limited

THR Can you hear me from the other side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Can you hear me from the other side?
So glad it turned out to be something easily fixable. Going back to work does seem to be a real challenge (I'm retired, thank God, didn't have to learn that lesson). And you'll find that with the restrictions lifted, you'll be able to ease back into doing pretty much what you want to. And once that bursitis is cleared up, you'll find you are going through the day not even thinking about your hip at all.

Take care, rest and ice, and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Can you hear me from the other side?
 
Firebrand,
I am surprised your Dr. is waiting to give to a cortisone shot. I was diagnosed with the same thing and he gave me one right away, which definitely helped the problem. I know you can't have more than a certain amount in a year to the same area. I wish you luck with this! I am venturing back to work next Monday and it won't be easy but I have great coworkers who will help me if I need it!
 
Hi Firebrand I hope you make a speedy recovery....its obviously not over until its over....experts suggest around 12 months before fully healed on average....
I return to work on 28 may a fairly quiet time at work....keep the ice on the go....
 
Firebrand Sorry to hear that you have bursitis but it must be a relief to know what is causing your pain.I am glad you are going to have some time off from work which will give you a chance to rest, ice and recover Its good that you have been given some sensible advice from your own OS regarding relaxing the restrictions. Will you have physio ?
 
if it doesn't go in a couple of months, get a cortisone injection.
Couple of months?? Why not a couple of weeks! My GP injected mine after about three weeks and the very first time I went to her. She hit the target spot on (not difficult) and I left the surgery cured and dancing!
And my phased return fell apart quite early on. So for anyone reading this who is looking at their return to the workplace, please ensure that your phased return is a real one for you.
Oh-ho yes! The only one who can impose your phased return to work is you! Problem with 'other people' is that once they see you back as work it takes them all of about 3 hours to forget that you've just had major surgery and because you naturally want to be nice and obliging, it's tough to say no to requests that you 'just' help with this and 'just' help with that. Be tough and say NO!
 
Hi Firebrand, sorry to hear you're still in pain, hopefully the rest from work will help things considerably. Thinking of you.
 
Thanks for your support everyone. It's a setback for now, but I'll get there.
 
Firebrand I'm just catching up on your thread and am so sorry to hear about your bursitis. Resting and icing is the best idea, and at least you know that you can get a cortisone shot if you need it. That's supposed to be very helpful. In the meantime, do you use any anti-inflammatories, like Ibuprofen?
I hope it feels better soon!
 
That rotten Bursitis.. it is such a frustrating condition.. I feel for you...
 
Thanks ByGosh and Poppet.

I spoke with my GP this week to see why she thought I needed to wait a couple of months, and her feeling was that it was worth avoiding the cortisone injection until such a point that it became clear it wasn't going away on its own. The rest has helped a bit - what has really made the difference was stopping doing my physio exercises.

I'm 11 weeks post op, and this bursitis has proved to be a set back for my recovery as my hip is sore and swollen pretty much all of the time. But I'm hopeful it will pass. If it doesn't then I will make an appointment to go back to the surgeon and get the injection. We are planning on going on holiday at the end of July and I really don't want to be miserable from pain by then.
 
Possibly the worst thing happened this week which I didn't mention before, and our internet provider dropped out from Sunday to Thursday. We discovered a life without internet at home is a life bereft... Thank goodness we're back online! I can't think what I would have done when I was at home immediately post op without being able to use the web.
 
Firebrand @Elsorabrab Yes, the internet is a marvel, isn't it? Not only can we get information about anything instantly, we can communicate with people all over the globe. It's really amazing. I remember the days of looking things up in encyclopedias, and the door to door salesmen coming to the neighborhoods trying to sell them.
Now we can stay at home, buy anything we need from the internet, and have it shipped to our door. And our kids only know life this way, having a smart phone they can carry for all of their communication, constantly on-line, texting, looking things up... their brains must have a whole different wiring than ours.
 
Hi Firebrand its interesting that your bursitis improved a little once you stopped physio.Were the exercises very aggressive ? You must be glad to be back on the Internet . I was a real IT dinosaur until relatively recently and now I would be stuck without it
 
Possibly the worst thing happened this week which I didn't mention before, and our internet provider dropped out from Sunday to Thursday. We discovered a life without internet at home is a life bereft... Thank goodness we're back online! I can't think what I would have done when I was at home immediately post op without being able to use the web.
I know what you mean! I used my ipad constantly in those first weeks.
 
Hi Firebrand its interesting that your bursitis improved a little once you stopped physio.Were the exercises very aggressive ?

No Kim22, just the standard hip strengthening ones (clams, etc). The GP said no exercise at all for a fortnight, and the sharp pain has definitely lessened. But of course, just walking around the house, up and down stairs, etc, aggravates it.
 
Hi Firebrand I was wondering how you are and if your bursitis is any better ?
 
Hi there Firebrand,

How's it hanging me old fruit bat?

My life has completely gone back to normal hence my lack of communication on BS...........My rump hasn't touched the ground as they say!
So sorry to hear you've had a set back with Bursitis, I should imagine that's very uncomfortable to say the least. Knowing you I very much doubt you're being a good girl and resting up as much as possible..........to be fair that's an IMpossible task when you've got family and a house to run ain't it? Still, I hope you've been able to find some down time and rest up and that this will soon all be a distant memory.

I too found out who were my real friends on my road to recovery. Most of my dearest friends came through but a couple of people surprised me with their lack of thought/care. Then there were the ones who I just considered as acquaintances who were very sweet and kind even if it was just a text or a mention on Facebook. Yes, people never fail to surprise me and kindness often comes from the most unexpected places. Still, I'm sure like me, you now know who loves you enough to make an effort. At first I was upset with the ones that didn't seem to care but in the end it just made me appreciate the ones that did more. Happy days.

It's an absolutely beautiful day here today so I'm going to make the most of it. Just got a shed load of catching up on BS then I'll be free to read my book and lie in the sun. Gert lush. I exhausted myself yesterday getting all the housework done so that I could chill today. I think I deserve a well earned rest!

I'll be thinking about you and hope this little set back is short lived.

Keep on keep in' on Warrior.

Lotsa love Queenie xxx
 
Hi Kim22 and Queenie, thanks for catching up with me. I'm now 12 weeks and I think/hope that the bursitis is going away of its own accord. I have been working at a conference since Saturday (its an annual thing at work), and I had foolishly thought that I would be 100% recovered at this point (I sometimes think I can will things to happen...). I was having to do more walking and stairs than I have since the op, and coped (by using my stick), although not having ice packs meant that I could really feel the swelling by the end of each day. I even noticed that the tiredness that I had been very aware was lessening, as I was working and then with colleagues until late each evening. So its possible that I may have been wallowing in my misery a little beforehand.... :tantrum: The only thing that set me back was the comments from people about still being on my stick 'I thought you would be better by now, etc'. My boss's brother had his hip done at the same time as me, and apparently has had terribly complications (dislocated while in hospital), so I guess compared to him I'm Wayne Sleep!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom