Guest viewing is limited

TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Julie-Ann Hello there, how are you? You were on the same dose of codeine as I was. How have you coped with the constipation it usually brings, or has it not affected you that way? I get desperate sometimes, but with lots of laxatives I usually manage a BM in the end, although not possibly every day.

Have you been able to cut down on the codeine, and if so how are you coping? I have got to 30mg on waking, 15mg at 12 noon, 15 mg at 5 pm and 60mg at 10 pm. So far no problems, it is constipation which is making my legs so painful I think, as the same muscles hurt in both legs.

I am being cautious cutting down on codeine, as last time I had horrendous withdrawal symptoms which I want to avoid at all costs. Tomorrow I shall cut the first dose to 15mg. The relief when you have stopped them all .is wonderful, as at last you can go to the loo easily.

Do let me know how you are getting on.
 
Hi, how are you doing? Are you able to cut back on pain meds? It took so long for me but when the time came it went as Josephine said it would, taking as needed and longer times in between. I was on OxyContin at night for 4 months and tramacet for another six weeks. Now only occasionally tramacet when knee is having a bad day.
 
Wishing you the best of luck in your recovery , remember pain control and ice and elevate if they will let you . when i had mine 5 weeks ago they would not let me put anything under my leg even ice even though my leg was flat from the beggining but everyone is different as are Dr's and hospitals i have a zimmer persona.Valerie
The surgeons want the leg flat to prevent flexion contraction but you actually can use a pillow as long as the pillow is the length of the leg and allows the heel off the end. Gloria
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Majic, miss you in the games section of the community forum.

Sorry you're having such pain in the rear constipation issues. I assume you're doing what you can about it, but you might find some of the common-sense and home remedies suggested in this Readers Digest article of interest. broken link removed: https://www.rd.com/slideshows/home-remedies-constipation/view-all/ Here's another article on the topic https://health.howstuffworks.com/we...ies/home-remedies-for-constipation.htm#page=0
 
We have this article in the BoneSmart library, too.
Constipation and stool softeners

Constipation is an issue for many people, but it's important to keep taking the pain medication as long as you need it. I had to resort to a self-administered mini enema eventually, but after that I kept the constipation under control by taking an aperient prescribed by my doctor.
 
I don't have problems with bladder control, but keep needing to go pretty soon, only to find when I get there that it takes me ages to actually produce anything. Could this be drug related? I am on Codeine, Paracetamol, and Naproxen. Can anyone help. I keep getting up in the night but can't go when I get there.
 
@Majic were you catheterized with your TKR? I wasn't with my knee replacement, but I was with a GYN procedure I had two summers ago, and developed a low grade UTI that I didn't realize was a UTI until a month after the procedure! 24 hours on antibiotices and the frequency and urge to urinate went away, thank heavens.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Can lost ROM be regained
I have moved your post and its response above from an old inactive thread into your thread. We like for you to keep everything about your recovery in your own thread as it gives a complete record of what you are experiencing and makes it much easier to give you proper advice, guidance, and answer questions.
 
@tigz yes i was catheterized. I have had one course of Antibiotics, but last night things got really bad and I ended up with an ambulance here at 8 pm. The pains got so severe the crew tested everything, asked dozens of questions, while I went backwards and forwards to the loo. After several calls to the hospital they decided not to take me in but gave me extra strong antibiotics until doctor opens on Tuesday. It is Bank Holiday here tomorrow ! Wouldn't it be. These things always happen at holiday times. I got up 5 times in night, pain is still there, and I feel haggard.

I just hope tomorrow and new pills bring some relief, I don't fancy a spell in hospital again.
 
I hope this round of antibiotics takes care of it for you!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
@tigz Saw our best lady Doctor at 8.30 this morning. I had had to stop other antibiotics as they started to affect my epilepsy. She read everything from ambulance crew and sent off a urine specimen. She then gave me another 3 day course of yet another antibiotic, which will last until fridAy when results will be back from hospital.
I spent yesterday clutching a hot water bottle, and going to loo. I have been pain free today until 4pm when it has started again, and I am once more clutching a bottle to my stomach.
@kate23 many thanks for good wishes, I need them at the moment.
 
@Majic so sorry to hear about your uti problems, really hope you get it sorted this time. So miserable for you, not to mention painful and distressing. Get well soon. x
 
Yuck! I hope they get this sorted out for you soon!
 
@tigz I thought problem with UTI was settled, but now I'm not too sure. I have cut down on Codeine, but have become even more constipated. I have taken Lactulose for two nights, which has got me going, but I now have a low stomach ache. I hope this is the laxative, but have a dread of it being yet another UTI. It can be hard to tell where the pain is. I was awake a lot of last night and feel pretty awful today.
 
Time to go back to the doctor?

You've had a time of it!
 
@Braunzie UTI rears it's head again, another sample has gone to Doctors, I have started emergency antibiotics and have an appointment for next Friday. I took one pill at 5pm, and pain is already easing. Hopefully I shan't get up 5 times tonight.
@tigz thanks for your concern, but I am beginning to feel better already. My own Doctor suggested I discuss with OS who I see in 2 weeks about seeing a bladder specialist. OS may know what to do as catheters cause a lot of problems like this. Thanks everyone for your concern. @CATSMUM has been very concerned, thanks to you too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom