TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CATSMUM I saw OS this morning. He said exactly what yours said, and that mine was bad because my right knee basically gave up about 3 weeks before the op. And I was on two sticks using just the left leg to support me. This was after not being able to use it after I fainted and pulled two muscles in it badly. He said the extra work after the op. had put a lot of pressure on it, and the tight band under my knee will gradually stop hurting as the new one heals. Otherwise he was very pleased with the latest knee. The first will be due for its 1year X-ray at the end of October so I shall see him next then. @Clipless I didn't know you were due another TKR, when is it due? I do hope you can keep clear of a UTI they are so painful and debilitating. I have to have a bladder scan on Monday to check there is nothing more serious, and I have to drink 1 pint of water before I go!! The journey is about 45minutes, so I think I might drink it on the way rather than risk an accident !!!
@Slainte many thanks for your good wishes.
 
Keep drinking @Clipless my infection seems to have come back in the night. In and out of bed and either sweating or shivering. I am in despair, rang hospital, urologist not there today, his secretary is trying to contact him, I am sitting by the phone and drinking.
 
@Majic Just saw your tag, so pleased that your OS said the same thing as mine regarding your left knee. Really sorry to hear that your uti isn't responding to treatment. Must admit when l was diagnosed with it last year, my GP gave me a course that saw me taking the normal dose for a month and then gradually reducing to one per day, rather than just a maintenance dose which is fine if your symptoms aren't that severe. Hope his secretary manages to get hold of him. x
 
@Majic, so sorry that you're going through the shakes and chills again. I hope that the urologist's secretary was able to get in touch with him, and that he's able to do something to help you. There is no way you deserve all this, very sorry it's such a darn persistent bug.
 
This is awful for you. I hope you have now got some relief x
 
@CATSMUM The drug didn't work, by Friday I was shivering, shaking and running to loo again. Got an appointment late in day at surgery, was told to double dose and contact Urologist ASAP. Had a miserable weekend, up 6/7 times a night, and exhausted in day. I managed to speak to him Monday morning he told me to go for scheduled scan of bladder and kidneys and see GP as soon as I got home for stronger drug, until he can see scan.
I had to drink 1pint of water an hour before appointment. !!! I thought I would die before hour was up, or flood waiting room at hospital, but managed to hold on despite pain in bladder. Good news is scan OK no abnormalities.
Got back in time for GP appointment lovely lady Dr/ friend very sympathetic gave me a big hug spent ages searching through books then gave me Co-amoxiclav 3xday until I can speak to urologist. Last night was soooo much better, I got up only twice between 10.30pm and 6 am. After the night before this was heaven, I was very stiff this morning, I hardly moved in the night. Thanks to @SarahJane and @kate23 for all your sympathy. It's so good to know I have such good bonesmart friends. Also @Nana moon 27 who I have neglected for a while, I so miss the email alerts, which I always replied to. Do any of you still get them or is the problem universal?
Love to you all
 
Hi majic, you've not neglected me. You've just been getting on with life. I'm starting to do the same. We can't be everywhere at once. So there's nothing to apologise for!!!

I'm so sorry too not to have stayed in touch but this is the first alert I've had to your thread in a long time. That's a rotten thing to have, a UTI. I've seen my eldest granddaughter suffer so badly with them x

I will have a thorough read of your thread a bit later. The hydrotherapy has worn me out xx going to try and have a nap.

So lovely to hear from you!

Take care love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Majic So sorry to hear that. Must admit l do think the dose may have been too low to have any affect , however, I'm not a medical person so can only speak from personal experience, but suffice it to say that l was on a much higher dose 4 times per day for 7 days. Good news on he scan, that must be such a relief (if you pardon the pun). I remember how painful it was when l had a scan 2 years ago, in fact one lady was in so much discomfort that she had no choice but to spend a penny - funny thing is, they still did the ultrasound even without her having drunk a skinful! When are you due to see the urologist again?
I'm so glad that the new drug regime appears to be helping you, long may you feel better. I don't appear to be getting email alerts either which is why I've only just replied to your tag! Thinking of you. xx
 
@CATSMUM The tablets worked on bladder, bud have given me terrible diarrhoea and affected my epilepsy. Had to speak to lovely lady doctor today, who said to stop straight away, and take nitrofurontoin 50mg 4 X day and she will ring next Monday to see how I am. If epilepsy OK and bladder still OK then nighttime dose again. I am hoping to hear from Urologist before then to see what he says. I have tried to contact Neurologist, but he is on holiday until next week, just my luck. Nobody seems to get email alerts anymore, it is so easy to lose contact with people.
 
@Majic Funnily enough I just got an email alert about your tag, lol. Think nitrouratin gave my niece diarrhoea, guess they don't agree with some of us, l was fortunate that l had no side effects with them, although l did with other antibiotics! Really pleased you got it sorted quickly. Such a pity that the urologist is on leave, fingers crossed these antibiotics will help you, and you're right, it is so easy to lose contact so I'm pleased that your tag came through this time. I'll keep an eye on your posts just so that l can catch up with how you're doing. xx
 
Guess what @CATSMUM the antibiotics have given me thrush. I suppose it was fairly inevitable, but I had been eating yoghurt and drinking yoghurt drinks in the hope of staving it off. Did you get thrush with the antibiotics you took?
 
Oh my goodness you are going through the wars. I certainly didn't experience thrush - you poor thing.
 
Got it from the antibiotics the doc prescribed me for the cellulitis I had in my eye on holiday. Sore was an understatement!

Oh Jackie I hope it clears away soon. What a drag! Xxx
 
@CATSMUM I seem to have made a breakthrough if I dare say so. @Nana moon 27 the thrush seems to have cleared up, although I have another prescription just in case. My follow up with Urologist went well, scans were all clear. After 8days of double dose nitrofurontoin 4 X day, I am now on 100 mg at bedtime, almost a week, and still Ok. I am cutting my final 30mg of codeine out, and am using cocodemol to reduce dose. I must get off it to get bowels back to normal. Three days ago I overdosed on lactulose and had a day of diarrhoea and a night of stomach ache. How soon did you both cut it out? My knee is complaining a bit but should be OK by tomorrow. I walk half a mile each day so it is working OK.
I hope you are both well, with one problem after another I have not been in touch for a while.
 
@Majic So pleased to hear that you're feeling better. Glad to see that your scans were clear,, l always make sure I take my nitrofuratin with me if I go away, just to be on the safe side. I stopped taking the laxatives after l cut out codeine. I found that my bowels gradually returned to normal after cutting out codeine. I still take paracetamol and ibuprofen. Just got back from holiday in Portugal, did me the world of good to have a little sun and warmth.
 
@CATSMUM how are your knees now? Has your latest improved a lot pain wise, and has the other got back to normal? I have good days and bad days, but it still annoys me that the knee that was back to normal seems to have come out in sympathy with the new one. I dared to get weighed yesterday morning as I thought I had put some weight on. I am a stone lighter than when I had my knee done! No wonder my rings and clothes are falling off me.
 
@Majic Left knee is quite good now, I was initially worried as it as quite sore back in August, however, turned out that it was because it was supporting the right knee a lot and l kept straining the ligaments! My right knee is gradually improving, ROM is fairly good but still haven't got full extension. Like you, l have good and bad days still. Due to see my OS on Dec 1, need to ask about the grinding l feel!!

Well done you on losing that much weight, keep up the good work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom